Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Amerflyer48

Tapering/transition from practice to match

Posted (edited)

I used to do triathlons and long distance cycling events during my time away from USPSA and was wondering if anyone here “tapers” for lack of a better term, before an event or just practices/dry fires right up to the day before a match. ( no dryfiring say a night or two before a match etc.)

I am wondering about other sports experience carrying over from one to another  for example: season planning/periodization,specific patterns of training(sport specific strength sessions ,accuracy sessions, speed sessions, cross training scheduling etc.

Also as a bonus question does anyone find themselves with what I call “match apathy” or just a lack of wanting to go to the match a week or two before the event , not burnout or overtraining, just a sort of mild “meh” passive sort of attitude vs. thrill of the hunt “git you some” hard desire drive. 

Edited by Amerflyer48

Maybe this should be in training not tips 

how do I get a moderator to move it ? 

I don't shoot a lot of majors, I have heard on several podcasts by those who do of taking several days to a week off practice or very easy before an important match to avoid injury to their hands.

Many of those people speak of adjusting training intensity and frequency based on match schedule. I often hear speed and accuracy work determined by greatest perceived weakness, which tends to be how I determine what to focus on. 

Weather, illness, and lack of progress can all sap my enthusiasm for the next match.

I used to train frequently and consistently. Then take a day or two off right before a match. Big or small. I feel fresh physically and mentally in such matches. 

These past several months I have that “apathy” you mentioned. After registering in a big match I wake up in the wee hours of the morning feeling distressed and regret that Im going to the match. In smaller matches I feel strong dislike just thinking a night before or just as I leave for such match. 

I consistently shoot 1-2 matches per week and dry fire for about 30 min. at least 5 times per week.  But, life happens and I find that I will periodically go up to 2 - 3 weeks without a match or dry fire practice.  Ironically, this time off is not detrimental and I actually see a performance gain.