Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 2011 - SPS Pantera

o27

Hi guys.

Have to pulled the trigger and purchased a second hand SPS Pantera 9mm. Coming from an older Tanfoglio Limited 9mm (small frame) I´ve been anxious to try out the 2011 platform for a while, so pretty exited. Due to legislations here in Denmark, it´ll probably take 4-8 weeks until all the relevant permits are in place and I have it in my possession.

In the mean time I´ll be doing thorough insights into the possible upgrade path, and as such needs your guidance and hopefully tips and tricks. I´ll be using it for IPSC Standard, as I´ve just applied for the IPSC license course. The rest of the IPSC guys in the little local club is running SVI Infinity and STI Edge and are already giving me a bit of a hard time on the choice of the SPS. As such, I´m inclined to prove them wrong and have no problem on spending a few extra bucks on gradually making the Pantera shine.

Currently it´s been upgraded rather limited, stipled grip with trigger bow undercuts and internal polishing of the standard parts - not aware of any upgrades of the internals.

Have been looking into the following;

Trigger;

- Gepert X-line Vario as these are German and Denmark is right next to Germany, so shipping and customs in no issue

- SV Inifity trigger (not the tri glide) but seems a bit more hard to get in Europe - the pro however would be two other shooters in my club is using these so guidance and assistance should be easier.

Hammer & Sear

- Atlas AGW - but seems impossible to get in Europe

- EGW Ignition kit

Guide Rod

- Dawson Toolless - pro is tool less field strip 

- Tungsten - pro is an even heavier front end as I would assume would take up even more recoil, could be a pro for a rookie.

Slide

- Local gunsmith to lighten the slide with some cut out in the front of the slide - but will probably be the last upgrade if at all.

What will be the natural upgrade path? And any other suggestions than what I´ve liste and some pro´s and con´s would be highly appreciated

since you are in Europe...

best parts for a good price https://cesar-shop.com/product/egw-ignition-kit-w-lightened-hammer-1911-2011 , they do need adjustments for optimum performance

change the extractor (SPS will break)

look that  the mag isn't touching the ejector while inserting, ejector will break if they touch

I have now a BT extractor and ejector (also from the CESAR WEBSHOP), parts look good but need some adjustments

Hi o27,

Robi of Cesar shop has nice parts (as noted). If you want something a bit more high-end, touch base with Guido Amoretti of RV Custom guns of Torino.
He's probably the best gunsmith in Italy and has really nice sear/hammer/disconnector kits. Closer to you, there is Hans-Peter Schaefer in Germany.

Enjoy your shooting and remember, for the most part, it's the fisherman, not the rod. The day you beat some guy running a big-buck infinity will be a hoot.

Clive

Edited by Cliveb

• 2 months later...

Don't know BT parts

EGW are the best you can get day in and day out. 

Just got another set of ignition parts for a new pistol yesterday.

I don't think they are exporting parts any longer directly though, check their website!

Why put all that time money and effort into  a non competitive gun ? Just checked the rules and it still says you need 10mm or 357 sig to score major in standard.
Ammo issues or something local

Edited by Joe4d

Yeah for Denmark. I was there last summer.  We tried to tack it onto our trip this year but the extra$$$ from France to Denmark was a bummer.

Do you know Mats B in Sweden.  He is with SV.  I think his dealer is in Denmark.  Very knowledgable guy.  Easy to get along with him.  I have shot a couple of Nats with him.

EGW makes great stuff.  Obviously I prefer SV.

PM me is you need more info.

On 8/18/2019 at 12:46 AM, pjb45 said:

Yeah for Denmark. I was there last summer.  We tried to tack it onto our trip this year but the extra$$$ from France to Denmark was a bummer.

Do you know Mats B in Sweden.  He is with SV.  I think his dealer is in Denmark.  Very knowledgable guy.  Easy to get along with him.  I have shot a couple of Nats with him.

EGW makes great stuff.  Obviously I prefer SV.

PM me is you need more info.

Yeah plane tickets can turn out quiet expensive here in Europe, especially if it´s last minute/a sudden intuitive decision😇. Unfortunately, I don’t know Mats B, as I’m new to IPSC and are just in the middle of the materials.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:47 AM, o27 said:

Hi guys.

Have to pulled the trigger and purchased a second hand SPS Pantera 9mm. Coming from an older Tanfoglio Limited 9mm (small frame) I´ve been anxious to try out the 2011 platform for a while, so pretty exited. Due to legislations here in Denmark, it´ll probably take 4-8 weeks until all the relevant permits are in place and I have it in my possession.

In the mean time I´ll be doing thorough insights into the possible upgrade path, and as such needs your guidance and hopefully tips and tricks. I´ll be using it for IPSC Standard, as I´ve just applied for the IPSC license course. The rest of the IPSC guys in the little local club is running SVI Infinity and STI Edge and are already giving me a bit of a hard time on the choice of the SPS. As such, I´m inclined to prove them wrong and have no problem on spending a few extra bucks on gradually making the Pantera shine.

Currently it´s been upgraded rather limited, stipled grip with trigger bow undercuts and internal polishing of the standard parts - not aware of any upgrades of the internals.

Have been looking into the following;

Trigger;

- Gepert X-line Vario as these are German and Denmark is right next to Germany, so shipping and customs in no issue

- SV Inifity trigger (not the tri glide) but seems a bit more hard to get in Europe - the pro however would be two other shooters in my club is using these so guidance and assistance should be easier.

Hammer & Sear

- Atlas AGW - but seems impossible to get in Europe

- EGW Ignition kit

Guide Rod

- Dawson Toolless - pro is tool less field strip 

- Tungsten - pro is an even heavier front end as I would assume would take up even more recoil, could be a pro for a rookie.

Slide

- Local gunsmith to lighten the slide with some cut out in the front of the slide - but will probably be the last upgrade if at all.

What will be the natural upgrade path? And any other suggestions than what I´ve liste and some pro´s and con´s would be highly appreciated

Hey!
So, here's some (relatively) unsolicited but pragmatic advice.  Shoot the gun first!  It may not need any of the upgrades you're willing to spend money on.  Spend the money on ammo, matches, and practice instead.  

You made a solid investment in that SPS.  Your buddies are going to feel silly for giving you a hard time over their remarks about the brand.  

The match win is dictated by the shooter, not the gear.  

If I remember right, Shane Coley won a regional match with a stock glock 17 or something.  

Good luck man!  And again, congrats on your new lead slinger.

-kg

Edit:  The tool-less guide rod is probably your only sensible upgrade as it makes field stripping super easy.  I'd give you mine if you were local as I have an extra one.  So come to Los Angeles to shoot a match and it's yours!

Edited by KindredGhost

• 4 weeks later...

Short update, have now put around 1200 rounds throgh the Pantera without a hiccup. Just upgrade to a Dawson precision tool less guide rod, simply to reduce „complexity“ at field stripping. Would love to look into a full DLC coating and lighten the slide with triptop and cut out, but honesty I don’t think it needs it and the point of diminishing return is probably well passed.

Even the other IPSC shooters with STI and SVI have commented on the trigger and the flat shooting...