Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX magazines?

I recently picked up a gen-3 MPX, and now I'm paying attention to all the places where someone mentions gen-1 magazines or gen-2 magazines.

Are there differences I should care about? 

Are there ways to tell the difference at a glance?

Will older (gen-1) mags work in a gen-3 MPX?

Is there such a thing as a gen-3 magazine?

Anything else I should know?

Thx...

The answer is "Maybe"

The Gen 1 magazines do not have full length feed lips and a black follower, the Gen 2 magazines have full length feed lips and a brownish follower.  There is no Gen 3 magazine.

Gen 1 magazines work fine in both of my Gen 2 MPX's, your mileage may vary.  The Gen 1 magazines are much cheaper, buy 1 or 3 and try them in your gun.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b1EuRIr7bc

I find your bullet shape and load's oal has a greater effect on if early mags will work in a later gun. Because of the shorter lip on the early mags a shorter round or one with anything other than a round nose bullet has a way of ending up nose up, as it comes off the feed lips earlier in the feeding cycle.

So "depends" really is the best answer you can get.

Edited by rowdyb
9 hours ago, Rolex said:

I But the PPC model- you refer to as G3- has a different bolt than the other versions.

No the bolt is unchanged..  it has an updated Carrier and spring guide, and rumors of an updated receiver buffer that is black.. BUT I have seen early " competition PCC" models with the orange'ish receiver buffer paired with the updated Carrier and spring guide. 

Edited by 2011BLDR
1 hour ago, 2011BLDR said:

No the bolt is unchanged..  it has an updated Carrier and spring guide, and rumors of an updated receiver buffer that is black.. BUT I have seen early " competition PCC" models with the orange'ish receiver buffer paired with the updated Carrier and spring guide. 

Yup, the receiver buffer is new, it’s black and tapered at the end to mate into the back of the bolt. That’s what’s on my Competition model which I got two weeks ago.

1 hour ago, 2011BLDR said:

That's whet I wanted to say- BUT didn't print that way 😂

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:19 AM, Rolex said:

the PPC model- you refer to as G3-

Hmmm.... all I "know" at this point is what I've read, and the gen-3 was described as the new model with comp and timney trigger.  That's what I bought.

Is that what you're calling the PCC model? 

6 hours ago, bgary said:

Hmmm.... all I "know" at this point is what I've read, and the gen-3 was described as the new model with comp and timney trigger.  That's what I bought.

Is that what you're calling the PCC model? 

Sig did not give the name to G1 G2 or G3. we the shooters did, to the best of my knowledge.

The new model is PCC with a 16 inch barrel and the comp that's threaded on and the Timmnet trigger.