Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doug Koenig Bianchi Pistol / Fixed Compensator?

yilest

I was wondering if anyone knew how Doug Koenig's Bianchi Cup open pistol compensator functioned?  Specifically, in watching the gun cycle, it looks like the comp is fixed to the shroud.  I always thought that 1911 pistol action required the barrel and attached compensator to move back a short distance with the slide before the barrel link pulled the barrel downward out of barrel / slide lockup? 

I am interested because I am building a Bianchi pistol and liked the shroud design on his gun (smaller in dimension than say the Protocall shroud, which would allow for a better hand wrap on the barricade grip).

Here is a video example:

try to post your question in the Bianchi cup topic...

Bianchi pistols can have different setups, Bruce Piatt, Kevin Angstadt, Adam Sokolowski etc use the basic 1911 with shroud. Koenig has an other setup (I belive commander slide, fixt bushing to the frame and a shroud with comp.

Yep, Doug's gun has the comp secured into the shroud, shroud secured to frame, and a Commander slide like mentioned.  The barrel reciprocates within the bushing/comp assembly.  I've seen it apart but can't remember exactly how the bushing sits in there, whether it's secured directly to the frame or the shroud/comp.  I am actually building a similar setup now for both a 1911 and a P210A.

That concept seems like a pretty good idea to me, it allows you to get all the comp affect but without taking too much energy out of the slide from the comp pulling the barrel forward. should allow you to run a little heavier springs giving the gun a larger operational window (aka less likely to poop itself if something is not perfect) 

• 5 months later...