Which first Glock?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you recommend

• G17 Gen 4
    • G17 MOS
    • G34 MOS
    • G17 Gen 5

XDm shooter here going to try the Dark Side. I may be assimilated...😝

Sooo, last year I volunteered to RO our local GSSF match. I was persuaded to borrow a buddies G19 and shoot the match as well. This year, same and I found out by being a second year GSSF member, I qualify for the discount program. Since I haven't been able to win a gun outright, thought it gets a gun into the cheap enough range to get one for giggles (and not hassle my buddy every June). At first, though I'd just go for the Gen 3 G17 as it's the cheapest on the list (I've found my buddies 19 a bit too small for my fat hands). Also thinking I might return to Production again and see what I can do with a stock "duty" type gun. But then again, Carry Optics is on my "itch to scratch" list so maybe I'll go for an MOS to put a dot on. THEN, I see on here a lot of chatter about using a G 34 MOS for CO. Can someone explain why you'd need a longer barrel in CO where sight radius is not a factor. BTW, I did get to shoot a G35 (iron sight) with an Apex trigger and it was very nice.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Edited by Mcfoto

You will also pick up velocity out of a 34 compared to a 17. Meaning you can potentially run a lower powder charge and still make minor.

If you decide a dot is not for you, the 34 then becomes an obvious choice due to the sight advantage over the 17.

The 34 has a different connector and extended controls from the factory.

These are just a few of the reasons you see love for the 34 over the 17, regardless of dot/no dot

The difference between the 34 and the 17 isn't as big as most people would have you think. That being said, I would choose the 34 in any competition situation that both guns are allowed. The 34 shoots a little softer, points a little easier (with irons), has a better resale value, and you get a tad more velocity. However, I would bet that you will see little to no difference in your scores between the two guns. 

I’ve been runnin a gen 5 34 for almost a year now and It’s hard for me to shoot anything else, I tried a gen 5 17 and I couldn’t tell much difference. Only difference I noticed I was coming out of holster faster only cause it’s shorter than 34. I’m venturing over to carry optics and I shoot my 34 just as fast as my dad does and he’s borderline A class with a gen 3 17. All depends if you like a long slide gun or not. 

G34 mos is an excellent choice. Parts are very easy to find and won't put a big dent in the wallet. If you change out the barrel, make sure to check KKM first. I have used them exclusively. For G31 and G17 Open Guns and always amazed at the accuracy. Also Magpul mags are great. 

Edited by Lastcat

I have 43, 19, 17, and 34.

If I had only one gun it would be the 17. That's not reality though. If I only had two it would be the 43 and the 34. Carry and compete.

I really do love my 17 for defensive classes, etc. Truth is after I got the 34 I haven't shot it much.

Don't like the 19 at all.

Agree with the poll - would go with a 34 as I like the slightly longer sight radius and feel it returns back to zero much better (IMO) compared to the 17. Granted, I am not a fan of the 17 at all - I much prefer the 19 as it fits my hand better. 

I am also a huge fan of the Apex trigger, and a little polishing on the slide rails makes whatever Glock you choose to be that much slicker. Also, not sure if it holds true with the newer gen models (i prefer the gen 3s), but you might also want to look at using a .40 cal extractor to really spit out brass 

1 hour ago, JBP55 said:

Aftermarket Support?

Not as much as a Glock because it doesn't need anywhere near as much as a Glock.  What there is, it's more than plenty.

I heard the same sort of BS a decade ago when I decided to go with Howa rifles for long range precision shooting instead of a Remington.  My choice was validated by a superior platform that didn't, and doesn't, need aftermarket gimmicks of every sort to be a performer.

24 minutes ago, AHI said:

SO when did GSSF change their rules to allow non Glock guns to be used ? 

They don't. Which is why I'm getting one. No offense to @elguapo but I'd rather not have this turn into a "why Glock?" thread. Let me just say that as a long-time XDm fan, the whole GSSF program has impressed me with Glock's dedication to its customers. Personally, I volunteer because I feel that GSSF is a great way for new or casual shooters to have a taste of competition. Doing my part to grow the sport.

I test ran CO with a friends  Gen 5 34 to see if I liked it, I did but I run a Gen 5 17 MOS for CO. I liked the 34 but shoot the 17 better, don't know why just do. That said if i was going to shoot prod also I would go with a 34. In my load testing a 133 PF load in the 17 jumps to a 135 PF in my gen 3 34.