Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 for Carry Ops-Starting hammer down


VU2AKILL
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have been dabbling in the carry ops class with my XDM and am thinking sbout converting my Shadow 2 over to a carry ops gun.  I know the rules state that any gun with an external hammer must be started in the hammer down position.  Curious what peoples procedures are at the make ready command to get the gun to the hammer down status.  Are you guys just manually letting it down (probably) or is there a better and safer way??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have to manually decock a CZ or Tanfo, yes.

 

But that doesn’t mean you have to “cowboy” the hammer or pinch it with your weakhand, and hope your grip doesn’t slip. ;) 

 

It’s perfectly safe if done correctly. Use your body to block it’s path, rather than trying to restrain it from the rear:

 

 

 

Edited by MemphisMechanic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You have to manually decock a CZ or Tanfo, yes.

 

But that doesn’t mean you have to “cowboy” the hammer or pinch it with your weakhand, and hope your grip doesn’t slip. ;) 

 

It’s perfectly safe if done correctly. Use your body to block it’s path, rather than trying to restrain it from the rear:

 

 

 

This is exactly what I was looking for!!  Thank you for taking time to post it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, blacklab2011 said:

Which ever way you use if you make conscious effort and don't rush u will be fine.

 

If you can draw the gun at speed without dropping it, reload on the move under time pressure, control the trigger good enough for 20 yard alphas, etc. , then you can sure as heck slowly lower a hammer. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok while we are on the topic of hammer down start one more question as a new S2 shooter. The rules say hammer down but does the first shot have to be from hammer down or could you in the draw cock the hammer and have the first shot in SA? I have tried this in practice with no apparent loss of time and no loss of control, but not in a match yet since I don't know if it is legal. Would not do all the time but more on tight first shots where the DA is a little more difficult to control without extensive practice. I know there are some good videos on YouTube about this DA shooting but see this as maybe a plan B if it is necessary? Again is this legal to do?

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gunshrink said:

Ok while we are on the topic of hammer down start one more question as a new S2 shooter. The rules say hammer down but does the first shot have to be from hammer down or could you in the draw cock the hammer and have the first shot in SA? I have tried this in practice with no apparent loss of time and no loss of control, but not in a match yet since I don't know if it is legal. Would not do all the time but more on tight first shots where the DA is a little more difficult to control without extensive practice. I know there are some good videos on YouTube about this DA shooting but see this as maybe a plan B if it is necessary? Again is this legal to do?

 

Thanks

that was a big deal back in 2003 in the prod rules! hahaha. but yes, you can draw and cock the hammer if you wish after the beep.

 

what is your draw time? to an open target to get an A that is a 1.10 second draw for me with a Shadow 2. i highly doubt i could cock the hammer and still make that time.... now if you have a 1.7 second draw then sure, it wouldn't seem like you lose any time....

Edited by rowdyb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do the thumb roll.  With enough dry fire and real life fire that double action shot is not even noticed.  Only time it kind of messes with me is on a draw transfer it to weak side only type classifier.  But I am usually a mess on those anyway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Timido said:

I do the thumb roll.  With enough dry fire and real life fire that double action shot is not even noticed.  Only time it kind of messes with me is on a draw transfer it to weak side only type classifier.  But I am usually a mess on those anyway

As am I.  Ha ha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgive me, I'm brand new to IDPA, but I thought in ESP you could start "cocked and locked or de-cocked, at the shooters discretion" as per rule 8.2.2.1 in the 2017 IDPA rule book.

There may be a revision I don't know about or I'm misunderstanding the interpretation of the rule. 

JH

 

ETA, I don't know if CO has to follow the rules of ESP or SSP, that would make a difference. 

Edited by stater61
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Timido said:

USPSA is hammer down start carry optics and production.   

 Thanks for the clarification, unfortunately I have IDPA on the brain, probably because I've been trying to figure out how to make a Shadow 2 legal for ESP and not having much luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2019 at 12:30 AM, rowdyb said:

that was a big deal back in 2003 in the prod rules! hahaha. but yes, you can draw and cock the hammer if you wish after the beep.

 

what is your draw time? to an open target to get an A that is a 1.10 second draw for me with a Shadow 2. i highly doubt i could cock the hammer and still make that time.... now if you have a 1.7 second draw then sure, it wouldn't seem like you lose any time....

I found that interesting. Do you have the same info for you with a striker gun or a SA gun ? any appreciable difference ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, stater61 said:

 Thanks for the clarification, unfortunately I have IDPA on the brain, probably because I've been trying to figure out how to make a Shadow 2 legal for ESP and not having much luck.

You will have to shed some weight (1.5 ozs) from your S2 pistol to make the 45 oz weight limit in IDPA. Here is a link to the IDPA CO rules: https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Carry_Optics_Official_Rules.pdf

Edited by igolfat8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yessir, I came to this thread through a search on removing weight from an S2. I didn’t realize the thread was for a USPSA division. 

 

I was was wanting to figure out if it was possible to make weight in ESP legally but I’ve about decided it isn’t possible without windows in the slide. If anyone has done it they could post a link or pm me please. I won’t derail the thread any further. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...