Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tighten up a dovetail

Bench

I noticed that the dovetail mount for my dot isn't secure any longer. Originally I did some light filing to get it to fit without having to bang away on it but now (with the set screw backed out) it just slides in and out which was not the case originally.

1.) What's a good way to tighten up the dovetail

2.) What's a good solvent to get rid of the blue thread locker?

I would just rely on the set screw. If I was really worried I'd make a shallow divot in the slide for it to dig into.

You can tighten a dovetail fit of metal items by peening. In this case the mount, take a punch make a few divots in the bottom of the dovetail it will displace metal and snug it up. The angle of the punch has some bearing in how much metal is displaced.

8 hours ago, George16 said:

Acetone is a good in getting rid of the blue thread locker. You can drill and tap for another hole for a  set screw just to snug the  dovetail mount against the slide. This will be independent of the other screws that holds the dot into the mount. I just did this to a friends dovetail mount for installing his DPP.

If there was a full width dovetail on the slide I'd have room for a second set screw but on this M&P there isn't.

Acetone...good for just about anything🤣

Just now, Bench said:

If there was a full width dovetail on the slide I'd have room for a second set screw but on this M&P there isn't.

Acetone...good for just about anything🤣

I’ll take a picture of what I did to my friends sp01 tactical tomorrow when I see him at the range. 

Yup, acetone. My wife already got some for her nails so I don’t have to go out and buy some 😆.

6 hours ago, Beef15 said:

I would just rely on the set screw. If I was really worried I'd make a shallow divot in the slide for it to dig into.

You can tighten a dovetail fit of metal items by peening. In this case the mount, take a punch make a few divots in the bottom of the dovetail it will displace metal and snug it up. The angle of the punch has some bearing in how much metal is displaced.

Between peening and the divot for the existing set screw hopefully I'll be back up and running for the match this weekend.Thanks!!

Just now, George16 said:

I’ll take a picture of what I did to my friends sp01 tactical tomorrow when I see him at the range. 

Yup, acetone. My wife already got some for her nails so I don’t have to go out and buy some 😆.

Between acetone and denatured alcohol both my wife and I can put a dent in gallon jugs of the stuff...

On 6/11/2019 at 11:59 PM, Beef15 said:

All that worked like a champ!! I'm back up and running for now, Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, LAMIVGD said:

I've used 0.001"-0.004" shims to tighten up dovetails before with no noticable POI shift. 

Thanks, probably better than peening.

Structural epoxy. Use the set screw with loctite. Then apply epoxy between the slide and the mount.

Even when the set screw loosens up, like mine did at an area match, the epoxy holds the mount.

Heat frees up the epoxy for easy removal.

12 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Structural epoxy. Use the set screw with loctite. Then apply epoxy between the slide and the mount.

Even when the set screw loosens up, like mine did at an area match, the epoxy holds the mount.

Heat would do the trick to loosen up the epoxy but first I'd have to be careful not to epoxy the plastic cap that secures the striker block spring that S&W so thoughtfully machined into the slide dovetail🤣

• 2 months later...

What kind of structural epoxy?