Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This may sound stupid but...

Falloutboy89

What is common practice for storing, transporting your finished rounds? Does everyone really use those 100 count ammo boxes? I would, I guess if I was shooting match level rifle loads. But, I'm only 500 rounds into reloading and want to crank out about 2k soon. If it was store bought bulk I would just dump it into ammo cans. Any reason why I wouldn't want to do that with my reloads?

NOTE: I will do short runs of JHP or other differences that I will probably use those ammo boxes for.

Thanks again.

ryos0.jpg

12 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

been doing this since 1985 and i still dump mine in 100 round boxes.  easy way to check primers and such.

Me too. Just to keep track of the count before a Match. I need 300, I get 3 boxes. Then load mags in the morning before Match.

I don't think storing or transporting in ammo cans is bad for the ammo. 

Like others I use the 100 round boxes mostly to keep a good count of what's on hand for a match. I will sometimes use a zippered bag for loose ammo since ammo cans are a bit bulky to take to range. I keep various small amounts of loose ammo in labeled zip lock bags

I store my bulk reloads in bins/totes and use the 100-round cases when I need to case gauge and get ready for a match. No reason to haul around 2-3K rounds of ammo in a bin/tote when you only need 300-500 for a match.  As mentioned previously, using the 100-round cases makes it easy to check primers.

I use the clear tupperware type bins that I get at Menards or Dollar General.  The ones that have the latches that go over the lid.  Also use the cheap ammo cans that I got from Harbor Freight when they are on sale for $3.99.  I write on the outside of the can what type of ammo goes in it.  That is my method for bulk.

Then for match ammo I take out the ammo container and run it through one of my Hundos and put it in the appropriate colored 100rd box.  I keep at least 3 colors for each caliber so I can have it on the shelf and know what type of ammo is in it by color.  

Not including .22 or rifle, I keep between 15-20k of ammo loaded at any given time.  Normally have enough case gauged so that I can go shoot any match and have enough ammo on hand.  Have to stay organized when there is that much ammo being produced and I load for 8 pistol calibers and a handful of rifle calibers.

If I’m flying, they go in the 100 round boxes. Any other time, they’re in ammo cans and buckets. I always have an ammo can full, ready to go, in my conveyance. Local match, I grab a few handfuls and dump em in a pouch, stick it in the range bag. Practice session, straight outta the ammo can. I don’t case gauge ever. Sold the Hundo.

a584903eb4372ddefed3f4c35b436345.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use the plastic 50 and 100 round boxes, but found a much better answer.

Cheap food storage containers....Glad, Ziplock, etc.

IXkgCO.jpg

Edited by BobT

100 round boxes for me since the Hundo makes it so easy. One good thing about loose storage is it makes it easy to spot loose primers when they fall out from shaking around.😊

Appreciate everyone's techniques... I'll probably move forward with a combination of what others have done...

I'm running every round through a case gauge still. Don't have a Hundo... yet.

So it sounds like I should anticipate loose primers? Is this common? Is it because of the range brass has been used a lot or is common with the progressive presses?

Thanks again.

Edited by Falloutboy89

On the shelf, my reloads are in the boxes the bullets came out of.

When I go shooting, my ammo is in magazines, I clip up ammo at home in advance. 

I have enough single stack magazines to shoot the typical six stage IDPA club match without reloading. 

When shooting USPSA, the eight double columns are pre-loaded and I carry loose ammo in one of those 100 round bulk WWB boxes.  If 240 rounds isn't enough, there is always a 50 round box in the bag.

Loose primers are rare but not unknown.

Inverted primers from the jostling of progressive primer feed seem more common.

Either way, it is something to check for in the gauging or plunking process. 

Ammo cans or the wooden ACME bullet boxes for bulk. I also have a minimum of 1k rounds that are QCd and ready for a match. Those go in 100 rd plastic boxes. I do like the idea of cheap Tupperware above. I've been known to use empty baby formula containers instead, but the round shape isnt quite as convenient. Basically the point is use what you have - it matters very little.

I don't like the feeling that I *have* to reload in order to shoot a match or range day coming up. This method makes it so I load more when its convenient and on *my* time.

I store everything in the plastic tubs (with lids) that I get (free) from the bakery dept at the Kroger I mostly frequent.  They come in a variety of sizes, so you can vary them depending on what quantity you have.

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I prefer to put ammo in factory ammo boxes of 50 - easy to check primers

and easier to dump 10 or 15 into my hand to load into mags.

I also use the 100 plastic ammo boxes, and they are more protective,

but pain in the tail to remove 10-15 for loading mags.

That is my preference as well, for match pistol ammo anyway. The factory ammo boxes just make it easier to drop 10 or 15 out to load a mag.

All of my other pistol ammo goes in either small buckets or ziploc bags. Rifle ammo usually goes in the plastic 50 round ammo boxes, except bulk ammo like some 223 and 300 Blk that just goes in a bucket. 

Edited by Yondering

• 2 weeks later...

Mine go in ziplock bags(100rds) for easy counting and then in ammo cans. Before a match they get pre-loaded in mags with the remainder dumped in a small can that mounts to my range cart. I like the bags because they take up less space than 100rd boxes.

In to 100 round boxes pistol/20 or 50 round boxes for rifle after a gauge/chamber check then a marker swipe across the primer to show it was QC’d by me then stored in larger can. 

Blue for Factory ammo

Red for established reloads

combo of colors/stripes/primer dots etc. for developing loads. 

Load mags night before match/range trip 

i do have some bulk .45 230LRN reloads (not for match) I did that are in plastic zip loc bags but they are probably 15-20 years old and have a red marker swipe. 

.22s are stored in a .50 cal can in their boxes 

some bulk hi speed Remington are in the flip top hi cap tic tac boxes (the ones in the checkout line that are about the size of a pack of cigs. Not the little rectangle boxes I think they hold 250 tic tacs)

I use 2 dryboxes with those 50 count box for each caliber I shoot then once those are full I load up 6 qt Tupperware containers. I like the 50 count boxes because they let me check the primers. I jumped into loading early so I never built up a supply of factory ammo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk