Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Bullets in Glock 22

Rfbosse

Guys,

I have been trying to load coated 180 grain bullets with sport pistol for a glock 22 gen 4 and have been having major problems with leading.

Tried Brazos and Blue bullets and both are leading with a mild load of sport pistol and power pistol. 

Checked and am not scrapping the coating off while seating, not crimping through it either.

Loading with a dillon 650 with dillon dies, brass is mix range brass that has been tumbled cleaned and then run through a grx push through sizer prior to running through the dillon.

Got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray 

Is your crimp to tight and stripping the coating off the projectile? 

EDIT: DUH, I didn't read the original Post.

Is the crimp die leaving a ring on the projectile itself? 

Edited by Dutchman195

11 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Is your crimp to tight and stripping the coating off the projectile? 

EDIT: DUH, I didn't read the original Post.

Is the crimp die leaving a ring on the projectile itself? 

I have backed off the crimp until to where it is barely straightening the flair back out.

Just now, Rfbosse said:

I have backed off the crimp until to where it is barely straightening the flair back out.

Interesting. 

The main problems I see with leading is when the coating itself is somehow compromised before it is fired, then it leaves lead in the barrel. 

Theory: Have you made sure to remove all the lead from the barrel before test firing again? maybe thats ripping the coating off? 

Have you tried without the Redding Push through die and just a size die?

Unfortunately lots of variables to test here and limited range to to fix. 

Dutchman,

Yes, I spent a hour scrubbing the lead out and could not see any residue left in the bore.

I will try loading some test round that have not been run through the redding push through.

Thanks,

Ray 

Can you measure the bullet before and after loading it? Blue Bullets tend to run a little undersized for coated lead, i am not sure about your other brand. Anything below .400 is going to lead your bore. I would do some measuring as i believe this is where you will find the issue. It could be your barrel is a bit on the larger diameter size also. Measure before, after and the groove diameter of your barrel, bet you find the problem fairly quickly.

(looked over the caliber, Sorry about that) Fixed it.

Edited by bowenbuilt

21 minutes ago, bowenbuilt said:

Can you measure the bullet before and after loading it? Blue Bullets tend to run a little undersized for coated lead, i am not sure about your other brand. Anything below .355 is going to lead your bore. I would do some measuring as i believe this is where you will find the issue. It could be your barrel is a bit on the larger diameter size also. Measure before, after and the groove diameter of your barrel, bet you find the problem fairly quickly.

I agree with BB . Same will hold true with .400, 401 bullets etc.

All these coatings are great but I still find being a .001 to .002 oversized with a lead bullet cuts down on a lot of problems with accuracy and leading.

If you can't measure the bore , slug the bbl etc.

I've come to do it the easy way.  I buy a few sample packs of each size, check them that they are actually that size and go to the range.

Ultimately regardless of the size of your bore, live fire tells the story the best on accuracy and any problems with leading

It a glock barrel so it is polygonal, .4021 and .3965 are the measurements of the slug I did in the barrel.

The blue bullets are measuring .4006 and the bazos is .4012

I have loaded some test rounds that have not been through the redding grx sizer and will test them tomorrow.

Ray 

I was able to run 40 rounds of the blue bullets yesterday without noticeable leading yesterday using non push though sized cases. I put an additional 60 Brazos and had noticeable leading. I guess I will keep experimenting, I still have roughly 1500 of the brazos to use up.

Ray 

• 3 weeks later...

Odd that you’re having trouble. I have shot thousands of lead (both coated and lubed) bullets through glocks and never had trouble. 

Can you get a .402 or .403 sized bullet?

On 6/11/2019 at 7:37 PM, Rfbosse said:

.4021 and .3965 are the measurements of the slug I did in the barrel.

The blue bullets are measuring .4006 and the bazos is .4012

It’s refreshing to see someone who seems to own a micrometer and knows how to use it.

It’s amusing when guys here are using calipers for critical measurements in discussions.

”Go ahead and measure your crimp with those chinese $35 digital calipers which are +/- .002” and get right back to us, buddy.” 😂

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Not sure how you could tell or how you could fix it but if that were the case, it could cause leading.  Possibly take really soft bore swab & see if something pulls threads as it enters bore... maybe use a felt polisher on dremel with  some flitz or simichrome & see if you can buff the entry to the barrel a tiny bit...