Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon SRO problems


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Chrome308 said:

The distortion is only noticeable if you don’t have the gun pointed at a target aligned with your eye, so IDK why it would matter.

When I first got mine the distortion was quite noticeable however after 1k rounds and a bunch of dry fire I don't notice it at all any more. I think because the lens shape is so different from others its kinda awkward at first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to bring this from the dead, didn’t think my issues required another thread.

 

Has anyone had issues with their dots disappearing in the lower half of the window with elevation turned up near the max? 
 

So far I’m up to 3 SROs (2 at trijicon for warranty work), my first was perfect, then developed a super dim dot, the second’s elevation screw no longer clicked and no dot in lower half of the window and the third (Brand new) has the same issue.
 

Is this something Trijicon could rectify, or do I need some more machine work/ a new slide? Gun they’re being used with is a CZC a01 with work done by F4E

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, Rich406 said:

 

I can blame the sight for a design that compounds the problem. 

 

Trijicon is not at fault for the fact that your chosen mounting system leaves the sight up so high that it creates that gap.

 

The fault is yours/SIG's

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

 

Trijicon is not at fault for the fact that your chosen mounting system leaves the sight up so high that it creates that gap.

 

The fault is yours/SIG's


Trijicon absolutely is atleast partially fault. They designed the sight to keep the existing footprint, even though  using the existing footprint causes  the sight over hangs the ejection port on a lot handguns creating potential problems. 
 

 

 

 

Edited by Rich406
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Rich406 said:


Trijicon absolutely is atleast partially fault. They designed the sight to keep the existing footprint, even using the existing footprint causes  the sight over hangs the ejection port on a lot handguns creating potential problems.

 

BS.  It's up to the consumer to figure this out and either deal with it or return the product for a refund.

Edited by SGT_Schultz
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way you're getting no dot in the lower half of the window if you see it in the upper half is something is partially-blocking the LED emitter at the source.

 

Since you have the elevation cranked way, up, that would be a clue as to the problem.  Probably its cranked so far it gets partially blocked by the frame of the dot window or it could also be a speck of mud or dirt or whatever.  Try turning it down dim and look at the dot emitter from the front with a magnifier and see if moving the adjustment exposes more of the emitter. 

 

At a guess the forward-tilt of the footprint cut in your slide doesn't match what the dot is expecting or your barrel is off for some other reason.  I think you can get angled shims that may help as you really don't want to be working at the edges of the adjustment range in any case.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sorry, but it’s pretty obvious that Trijicon designed an optic for dynamic shooting sports in the SRO.  They didn’t design it to replace RMRs.  Two completely different markets, and applications. If they built the SRO with a different footprint than the RMR a whole bunch of people would be but hurt over that, even though it was not designed as a replacement for the RMR. Exactly how would have they pleased everyone?  It’s not on Trijicon for the end consumer to mount and use the optic properly. 

Edited by Boomstick303
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 3:16 PM, jpeters11 said:

Sorry to bring this from the dead, didn’t think my issues required another thread.

 

Has anyone had issues with their dots disappearing in the lower half of the window with elevation turned up near the max? 
 

So far I’m up to 3 SROs (2 at trijicon for warranty work), my first was perfect, then developed a super dim dot, the second’s elevation screw no longer clicked and no dot in lower half of the window and the third (Brand new) has the same issue.
 

Is this something Trijicon could rectify, or do I need some more machine work/ a new slide? Gun they’re being used with is a CZC a01 with work done by F4E

I had the same problem with work done by fire for effect. I ran out of elevation and had to shim the dot. When you get the dot more in the middle of its adjustment range it will stop disappearing 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, you've adjusted the dot so far up the surround for it is blocking the light from the LED coming out and hitting the lens.

 

With the dot acting normally, if you carefully block half of the emitter with something, then move your head around to move the dot up and down in the window, you get the same effect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 8:07 PM, Hazborgufen said:

Following up on my Trijicon SRO's auto-brightness issue under LED lighting. Trijicon RMA'd my SRO and their repair department messaged me that they couldn't repair my optic. Instead they would send me a brand new one. That sounded good to me.

 

The replacement was delivered today and I just took it out of the box and tested it. The new SRO has the exact same issue as the old one. It simply does not auto adjust under LED lighting. It sets itself to the very dim 2nd visible setting with LED overhead lighting, unlike my RMRs. I then did my dark room test with my Streamlight TLR-1 HL and again both of my RMRs worked perfectly but the SRO completely washed out without auto-adjusting at all. When I went into a room with incandescent lighting the SRO auto-adjusted properly.

 

The tech I spoke to said that the RMR and SRO have the same electronics and should react the same way to lighting. He speculated that the auto-adjusting sensitivity on my old SRO might have been programmed incorrectly or that the light sensor was defective. Since this a whole new optic and it is behaving the exact same way, I'm going to guess that either the electronics are actually different from the RMR or that whole batches of SRO's are being programmed incorrectly. The difference between my old serial number and new serial number is over 5,000 so there are probably a whole lot of SRO's out there that have this same issue.

 

Definitely follow the advise on Sage Dynamics - Not intended for duty use. While he was referring to the optic's fragility with regard to drop resilience in his video, clearly the electronics also don't work correctly. If you do intend to use it on a defensive gun, you should probably set the brightness manually and use the lock-in feature. You'll need to change the batteries more frequently if you store it this way but at least you will be able to see the dot when needed, especially if you use an LED flashlight or WML.

 

Anyway, mine will be used for Carry Optics and I'll manually adjust the brightness, so no biggie I guess.

 

 

I just noticed this same issue...put the SRO in the nightstand safe with the G19 RMR carry weapon...take them out in the morning and the RMR is exactly the brightness I like and adjusts instantly outdoors, in a blackened closet, etc...SRO comes out too dim, seemingly on the lowest setting. I adjust manually in all conditions.

 

I was an early adopter...guess I should consider sending it back (if they have correct newer models and no longer an issue). Hmmmm....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Add me to the list of those with SRO auto-brightness problems.  My 2.5moa SRO washes out under LED and fluorescent lighting by auto adjusting to a barely visible brightness.  It is also dimmer in a dark room.  I have compared it side by side with all three of 1moa SRO units.  I have tried THREE times to resolve this with Trijicon.  The first two returns were replaced with new units that were just as faulty.  The third time they just sent the same defective unit back to me.  The defective 2.5moa units serial numbers range from 0241xx to 0259xx.  I am going to make one more attempt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2020 at 11:53 AM, Mike181 said:

Add me to the list of those with SRO auto-brightness problems.  My 2.5moa SRO washes out under LED and fluorescent lighting by auto adjusting to a barely visible brightness.  It is also dimmer in a dark room.  I have compared it side by side with all three of 1moa SRO units.  I have tried THREE times to resolve this with Trijicon.  The first two returns were replaced with new units that were just as faulty.  The third time they just sent the same defective unit back to me.  The defective 2.5moa units serial numbers range from 0241xx to 0259xx.  I am going to make one more attempt.

Add me to this list for both my 2.5 and my 5 MOA. My RMR auto-adjusts perfectly but my SRO's are always way too dim if not invisible.

 

My 5 MOA is SN0094XX and the 2.5 is SN0021XX. 

 

Pretty big bummer for the 5 MOA that's on my 19 for carry. I had my RMR on it but couldn't hack the smaller window ever since getting used to the SRO on my 34 for USPSA.

 

I'm really hesitant to even attempt an RMA based off the experience of others on here. If someone has luck please update us.

Edited by alex_uspsa
Link to post
Share on other sites

My update 

 

10-11k on my SRO still with no issues. 

 

My Type 2 RMR Is back at Trijicon again getting another battery terminal replaced, it did still work with the single one though. That’s twice in a year. 
 


 

 

13A9BD46-50E9-4E96-8D52-B21DF0F015C5.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience:

 

I have just over 9k on a EGW dovetail mount on a Tanfoglio Stock 2. I’ve had a couple of issues but I’m still running the SRO. First problem was a sheared SRO screw and a sheared boss on the mount. patriot Defense responded quickly to my email and pictures. EGW sent another plate. Neither sight adjustments have a click when adjusted. Don’t know if it’s just me or not. The sight as well as the pistol are tools. Tools break, wear out, fail at times. I’m still sold on the SRO. I do have 3 acog’s, 2 rmr’s and a sro, just sayin’. I’m not switching at this point in time.

3D448BFF-BD91-44BD-94BF-68258410102B.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N7VY said:

My experience:

 

I have just over 9k on a EGW dovetail mount on a Tanfoglio Stock 2. I’ve had a couple of issues but I’m still running the SRO. First problem was a sheared SRO screw and a sheared boss on the mount. patriot Defense responded quickly to my email and pictures. EGW sent another plate. Neither sight adjustments have a click when adjusted. Don’t know if it’s just me or not. The sight as well as the pistol are tools. Tools break, wear out, fail at times. I’m still sold on the SRO. I do have 3 acog’s, 2 rmr’s and a sro, just sayin’. I’m not switching at this point in time.

3D448BFF-BD91-44BD-94BF-68258410102B.jpeg

 

None of my SROs click when you adjust them. If there is one it’s too faint to feel or hear it. The pots do not move though. They all hold their zero. Not sure it’s an SRO problem if the mount is breaking. Did the screw break because the boss mount sheared?  

 

Dovetails mounts are tough. Unlike a plate that screws into the slide or a slide cut there is no material forward and aft of the optic and/or plate to aid in holding the optic in place as the slide cycles. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure as to why the screw/boss sheared but what was odd to me was that they were on opposite sides. I am happy with the EGW mount. I don’t find that it is hard to find the dot. I guess the big thing is not sending it off to patriot defense for 3 weeks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Hi. New to this forum. I just took my new SRO out to the range, and the windage is way off. For some reason, I cannot adjust it at all. When I got back from the range, I sat down and tried to adjust it again, but no number of clicks will move the red dot. Any ideas? Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vorvon said:

Hi. New to this forum. I just took my new SRO out to the range, and the windage is way off. For some reason, I cannot adjust it at all. When I got back from the range, I sat down and tried to adjust it again, but no number of clicks will move the red dot. Any ideas? Thank you.

 

Any ideas?

 

Yes, call Trijicon tomorrow and get an RMA for repair.  These things aren't DIY repairable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...