Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip during transition between targets

BoyGlock

Do you loosen or relax your shooting grip in  transition between targets?

I remember a noted GM say so in podcast years ago at least once but cannot validate it from others. And never known it from other sources. Or Maybe I misheard him?

As for me I dont. Or maybe Im not aware of it. And Im not a GM. 

Do you loosen or relax your shooting grip in  transition between targets?
I remember a noted GM say so in podcast years ago at least once but cannot validate it from others. And never known it from other sources. Or Maybe I misheard him?
As for me I dont. Or maybe Im not aware of it. And Im not a GM. 
nope. move your eyes first and bring the gun right behind it. grip doesn't have anything to do with transitions

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The only time I would say you shouldn't have a firing grip with both hands on the gun is if you have a short movement with no reload. Then again, I don't really know if I loosen my grip then. I'll have to check that next time I train short movements. 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, obsessiveshooter said:

You should be able to grip hard for the amount of time a stage lasts.  If the gun is up with both hands, I think you should have the same hard shooting grip. There's nothing to gain from changing things up between every target.  

Agree.  I always look out for that during training and repeat that to myself when visualizing and during make ready.

2 hours ago, tdp88 said:

The only time I would say you shouldn't have a firing grip with both hands on the gun is if you have a short movement with no reload. 

Not sure I understand.  To me, a short movement without a reload is precisely when you need your hard firing grip the most.

If I have to run across the stage in some direction, then I'll let the pistol go with my left hand and just RUN.  

You might be right, I'll have to check and see what I actually do. If the gun stays at my eye level,  I will keep the firing grip. If it's 4 or 5 yards, the gun will move from eye level I'm pretty sure I don't grip it 100% with my weak hand. 

• 3 weeks later...

If I am moving at a speed that I can shoot as well, I keep both hands on the gun in a full shooting grip.  If I am moving quickly or running, I normally remove my support hand from the gun.  When I transition between targets that don't require a movement of my feet, I keep a firm shooting grip.  If I am having to move my feet to transition, such as from one side of the range to other, I will generally bring the gun in and slightly loosen my grip.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:43 PM, Blackstone45 said:

Perhaps it's a way of reducing fatigue if you use a very strong grip. But I think a lot of the more recent front-back C-clamp grip techniques, along with the pliable hands is aimed at not needing to deathgrip the gun.

Any video that explains C-clamp grip techniques? Is that from Kim? 

1 hour ago, xdf3 said:

Any video that explains C-clamp grip techniques? Is that from Kim? 

There's this one from TPC

Also check out some of their other videos, including those by the late Ron Avery about wrist tension etc..

But Kim also explains it very well in his paywalled Recoil Management Series video

6 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Also check out some of their other videos, including those by the late Ron Avery about wrist tension etc..

But Kim also explains it very well in his paywalled Recoil Management Series video

I'll try it (the C-Clamp technique), but something makes me thing that this WON'T be the techinque to double tap and have 2 A's with 0.10 splits. It seems like a typical grip anybody could suggest, with a slightly different angle. 

Most transitions can be put into one of three buckets, with different goals and concentration points, IMO. (Max M had a video somewhere to alluding to this)

1) Transitions with 0 steps (think stand-and-shoot), no change to shooting grip at all: Just move the gun to the next target. Fire -> move eyes to next target -> move gun to next target -> Fire.

2) Transitions with 1-3 steps, a shuffle, etc.: Support hand loosens, but stays on gun. Strong hand stays the same. Gun typically moves toward the body some to get closer to your center of gravity. 

3) Transitions with >3 steps, a longer run, etc.: Support hand departs from gun, and becomes an aid to running (cause that's what you're doing now). Strong hand stays the same, and it's main job is to keep the muzzle within the 180. The last few steps of the movement should resemble #2. 

On 7/5/2019 at 8:37 AM, xdf3 said:

I'll try it (the C-Clamp technique), but something makes me thing that this WON'T be the techinque to double tap and have 2 A's with 0.10 splits. It seems like a typical grip anybody could suggest, with a slightly different angle. 

Brian Nelson (and other GMs) use this grip and get very short splits in low teens.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:16 PM, tanks said:

Brian Nelson (and other GMs) use this grip and get very short splits in low teens.

At which distances? The difference seems to be very little, compared to other techniques like the one used by Vogel

5 hours ago, xdf3 said:

At which distances? The difference seems to be very little, compared to other techniques like the one used by Vogel

7 - 10 yards from what I have seen personally. That "C" grip enabled a 15 year old girl to make GM last year in Production. Obviously she doesn't have the strength for a Vogel type of grip. Also, part of that grip is canting the wrist forward so the gun comes back down naturally. Tons of Ron Avery videos on YouTube demonstrating the whole thing.

49 minutes ago, tanks said:

7 - 10 yards from what I have seen personally. That "C" grip enabled a 15 year old girl to make GM last year in Production. Obviously she doesn't have the strength for a Vogel type of grip. Also, part of that grip is canting the wrist forward so the gun comes back down naturally. Tons of Ron Avery videos on YouTube demonstrating the whole thing.

Can you link some? Last time I tried searching his name, I didn't find anything. 

I'll try this C-clam grip, I hope it works as expected. In the video I watched it didn't seem to be really clear

5 minutes ago, xdf3 said:

Can you link some? Last time I tried searching his name, I didn't find anything. 

I'll try this C-clam grip, I hope it works as expected. In the video I watched it didn't seem to be really clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDNZBhpE4Fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXyAdbEXtFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXXuUzNcZ_o

I struggle to believe that searching for "ron avery grip" gave you no results.....

I also don't want to come across as rude, but I think you have your priorities wrong if you're looking for a magical grip that will let you shoot 0.10 splits, when you're struggling to shoot groups at medium distances from your previous thread.

Edited by Blackstone45

18 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDNZBhpE4Fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXyAdbEXtFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXXuUzNcZ_o

I struggle to believe that searching for "ron avery grip" gave you no results.....

I also don't want to come across as rude, but I think you have your priorities wrong if you're looking for a magical grip that will let you shoot 0.10 splits, when you're struggling to shoot groups at medium distances from your previous thread.

I think you wrote a more specific thing about Ron Avery and I couldn't find results. It was still about the C-clamp technique.

I don't know what you're aiming at, and how much time you got, but since I can't magically solve the groups issue, I work on anything else. For some reasons, pro shooters which can shoot these kind of groups, are either champions (GM or above, at least), or below B level. 

I'm looking for room to improve in any way. Resources are limited. 

On 6/10/2019 at 4:42 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

nope. move your eyes first and bring the gun right behind it. grip doesn't have anything to do with transitions

Good reminder --- move the eyes FIRST.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:19 AM, xdf3 said:

I think you wrote a more specific thing about Ron Avery and I couldn't find results. It was still about the C-clamp technique.

I don't know what you're aiming at, and how much time you got, but since I can't magically solve the groups issue, I work on anything else. For some reasons, pro shooters which can shoot these kind of groups, are either champions (GM or above, at least), or below B level. 

I'm looking for room to improve in any way. Resources are limited. 

REALY good videos.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:42 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

On 7/5/2019 at 4:06 AM, Blackstone45 said:

Like it...