Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different Focus

Like many of the posts here I’ve recently returned to the game after an almost fifteen year break.  

A couple of things I’ve noticed;

I’m older!  I was in my mid thirties when I was active before.  Now as I near my mid fifties I don’t move the same.  No problem and the more I shoot the more I move, but it ‘feels’ different.  

When I was last competing I was working to make A in Limited.  I’ve only been shooting again for a few months.  Two regular matches so far.   I’m lucky that the club close to me has practice stages set up most weeks.  I’ve noticed that my mechanics are all still there, but my accuracy sux.  I’m not taking the time to ‘see’ my shots.  So I’ve had to slow way down.  Basically I’ve found that to feel comfortable I need to be right on the edge of feeling too slow.   Of course like usual when I’m feeling and seeing the targets my times improve.  It’s a result of ‘trying’.  

Another thing that I’ve noticed is my enjoyment level is higher.   Might be due to maturity (though I place no value in growing up!).  It seems like before I found myself linking my enjoyment with my performance.  Now I just go to have fun.  Works!

17 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

Yes! 👍

The fun factor is awesome.  I literally remember dreading going to matches.  I think because I was so worked up about how I would do that I was defeating myself before I’d even start!  Now I just don’t really care.  The other day I had just finished shooting the practice stage. It was the first time I’ve shot a Texas Star since way back.  I started and ended all

messed up.  When I was back reloading mags a fella that was watching said, ‘So what are you trying to do out here?’   I said, “Have fun!!!”.   He looked at me a bit, then started to explain how to shoot the star better.  

15 hours ago, scroadkill said:

im also in denial but discovered the young go fasts sprint then shoot.. and the old slows try to just keep shooting.. and both ways seem to work pretty well.

The fear I have is that I’ll get to the old timer shooting method (stand and shoot all A’s totally ignoring the timer) before I make it back to where I left off!  

Lol...

In a similar boat here as a mid 50's returning shooter, and I recently did some thinking about my "why".  I'm finding that whether I'm just a shoota or working as a range official, it's the friends I'm making and the time I'm spending with them that is most important.  Second to that is the learning cycle both as a shoota and as a range official.

19 hours ago, blackfatbob said:

...it's the friends I'm making and the time I'm spending with them that is most important...

Ditto.  During my long hiatus I moved south.  Miss shooting with the crew up north, but it’s been fun and invigorating to get to know the folk in this area too!

Have to laugh because I can relate. Due to work cut backs I had to cut back on shooting. Just had too many obligations. Now I can start working a match a month back into the program. Really wanted to get back to revolver again, just love the reloads. Too bad ICOR is all but dead in SoCA. I’ve got other divisions like Open and Limited. Aside from Open revolver I like Open USPSA. Recently shot well with revolver (625) iron sight and Limited gun (2011 Brazos) but just did a match 1911 L10, (Wilson 1911) not so good. Bad ammo because I was to lazy to reload. 3 or 4 marginal primers and 2 squibs. Now that will wreck your day. Note to self make sure you ammo and equipment is ready to go. Been 10 years since I shot a 1911 and the grip safety was really messing with my grip. Holster needed adjusting and I never did it hence poor draws and grip acquisitions all day. Had a good time but really under performed. Guess it was just nice to see old friends and be on the range.

Thinking Open will be my next match so time to start dry firing again. That should get me back into the action.

The reason I had to laugh in the beginning you guys are saying you’re in your 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. Somehow I got into my 60’s! Dang Super Seniors isn’t far off!

On 6/12/2019 at 5:40 AM, 3quartertime said:

Ditto.  During my long hiatus I moved south.  Miss shooting with the crew up north, but it’s been fun and invigorating to get to know the folk in this area too!

Yup,  I know a few of them.  A good number join us over on the west coast and we get to shoot with them when we travel over to OK.  Check out swfps if you're interested in any gulf coast matches.  We have a mini monster coming up the last Sunday in June.  It's a good time.

5 hours ago, blackfatbob said:

What comes after Super Senior?  We have a few shooters in their 80's.  lol

Super Senior Emeritus?  (if you're here after 80 you deserve cudos just for showing up!)

• 4 years later...