Open guns and hearing damage

IHAVEGAS

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/10/2019 at 12:08 PM, rowdyb said:

The concussion off of barricades and walls, or being anything less than directly behind the shooter, transmitted through your sinuses and skull bones isn't helped by double plugging. There is more to it than just the noise. If it bothers him that much (as it does me also) then I think stopping that duty is totally OK.

When getting use to shooting my Brazos open pistol with 4 popple holes my head would be throbbing. I purchased on Amazon nose plug filters used for cosmetics/tanning spraying. Found black ones so the were less noticeable. Helped ALOT to keep shock waves out of head,along with keeping mouth shut.

41 minutes ago, RandyBaker said:

Are the battery powered ear muffs like the  Howard leight a good option for noise cancellation. They say the reduce down to 22.

If you are using them with ear plugs they (or just about any other) are fine, if your using them alone then I would say NO, 22nrr is not enough around an open gun, in my opinion. 

I do like having the electronic muffs so I can hear  stuff other than the gun, I run the Pro Ears mag pro's they are the quietest ones I have found and the electronics are pretty good, they are good enough for me to not double plug with my open guns.

Edited by MikeBurgess

40 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

If you are using them with ear plugs they (or just about any other) are fine, if your using them alone then I would say NO, 22nrr is not enough around an open gun, in my opinion. 

I do like having the electronic muffs so I can hear  stuff other than the gun, I run the Pro Ears mag pro's they are the quietest ones I have found and the electronics are pretty good, they are good enough for me to not double plug with my open guns.

Thank you for the response. I had never really put much thought into the hearing protection we use until I read this thread.

3 hours ago, RandyBaker said:

Are the battery powered ear muffs like the  Howard leight a good option for noise cancellation. They say the reduce down to 22.

Look at the Impact Pro.  They are 30db, auto shut off,  use AAA batteries, and are about $60.  I really like mine...

I really don't shoot rifles that much so I can't say.  They really are nice for my open gun.  I had a set of MSA's, which were fine for prod, but they weren't near as good as the Impact Pro for my open gun.

Not all electronic ear muffs are created equal.  I just bought a pair of Peltor Sport Tactical 500s.  They are quitter than the 26dB rating suggests, but i'm not happy with the electronics.  The cutoff is too slow, so I do get a little of the impulse noise from the blast.  I'm planning to try one of the new Howard Leight digital electronic muffs.  The best is rated 30dB and has a cutoff of only 0.5 milliseconds.  That is way faster than most everything out there.

BTW, I came across an article defining how much reduction you actually get.  It is a lot less than you would expect for the dB rating of the manufacturers.  The formula is NRR-7/2.  So a set rated at 30dB NRR actually reduces sound by only 11.5dB (30-7=23 23/2=11.5).

I noticed this thread but didn’t pay it any attention until after last night’s match. Open gun in an indoor range. This was my 4th match and the first time I’ve experienced an open pistol running major before. It’s loud. Several people running plugs were covering their ears. Even some people wearing muffs were too.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:07 AM, zzt said:

Not all electronic ear muffs are created equal.  I just bought a pair of Peltor Sport Tactical 500s.  They are quitter than the 26dB rating suggests, but i'm not happy with the electronics.  The cutoff is too slow, so I do get a little of the impulse noise from the blast.  I'm planning to try one of the new Howard Leight digital electronic muffs.  The best is rated 30dB and has a cutoff of only 0.5 milliseconds.  That is way faster than most everything out there.

BTW, I came across an article defining how much reduction you actually get.  It is a lot less than you would expect for the dB rating of the manufacturers.  The formula is NRR-7/2.  So a set rated at 30dB NRR actually reduces sound by only 11.5dB (30-7=23 23/2=11.5).

But that is a big reduction. Just been going through this at work, IAW our environmental rep doing the OSHA stuff, every 5 DB DOUBLES the noise pressure.  So basically 95DB is double the pressure of 90... 
DB's arnt linear they are exponential... So 11 DB is a pretty big reduction.

Edited by Joe4d

dBs are a base 10 logarithmic scale (essentially exponents of a number expressed as aaa x 10 to the yy power.  A 3dB difference is perceived by humans as halfing or doubling the sound level.  Reducing a 140dB impulse level from an Open gun by 11 dB actually is not enough.

In case this is not confusing enough, sound pressure level measurements can be reported as db or DBA or dbc.

DBA is a weighted scale that incorporates frequency adjustment and is supposed to mimic the human ear.

Not sure about DBC.

Considering only to Analog sound, there are three dB scales.  Flat, A and C.  Flat is just as it says.  The measurements are actual.  The dBA scale adjusts the actual readings to approximate the way humans here low level sounds ( 10dB to about 85dB ).  It is based on the Fletcher-Munson plot.  The dBC scale adjusts actual readings to approximate how humans hear high level sounds.  It is a more accurate scale for the levels involved in shooting sports.  dBA would significantly under-report lower frequencies, and some higher.