Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open guns and hearing damage

IHAVEGAS

Hate to do it but after last weekend I am retired from working level 2 or above matches.

With the best ear muffs I could find, running several shooters with incredibly loud open guns (the kind that send a shock wave that you feel with your body) is still painful and there is no way that it does not damage your hearing. I could try double plugging but it was hard enough yelling loud enough for essential communication as it was. 

It would be an easy enough problem to fix (DBA meters are cheap) but the guys that make the rules do not seem worried about it and the folks with the super loud guns are positioned so they don't feel the pain from it, so I think the only option is to vote with your feet. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having the same issue this weekend when I RO'ed both days at a GSSF match. Couldn't double plug and had to have my powered muffs on because there is a lot of "instructing" at the line. The suppressor major guns are in the minority there but still, two days solid on the line gets to you. At least when I work a major, the team tends to rotate so we all get time off our feet and away from the line at the score table.

I'm using the fattest muff that Pro Ears makes, 32 DB on paper if I remember right, maybe the peltors would be better. 

After the first 6 - 8 shots I could let the shooter move ahead of me a bit and get a reasonable distance off of the blast when I had the timer. When I had the score pad I looked for a heavy set person on the squad and used their body for a sound block on the initial barrage. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I have molded in ear plugs that reduce by about 32dB.  I now use Howard Leight foam earplugs rated at NR33.  When running an Open shooter I also put on a pair of 28dB ear muffs.  That gets me down to a 35dB reduction.  That's good for outdoors in the open, but not under a cover.  I'll have to search for those higher rated muffs.  28dB reduction was the best I could find when I last searched.

The concussion off of barricades and walls, or being anything less than directly behind the shooter, transmitted through your sinuses and skull bones isn't helped by double plugging. There is more to it than just the noise. If it bothers him that much (as it does me also) then I think stopping that duty is totally OK.

I know this is kinda "out there" but, the other day I saw a for sale ad here for a watch style timer. Maybe the host club could require the open shooters to wear one of them and the ro wouldn't need to be near him to record time. Might work well for 22 shooters at steel challenge also.

Just a thought...

3 minutes ago, egd5 said:

I know this is kinda "out there" but, the other day I saw a for sale ad here for a watch style timer. Maybe the host club could require the open shooters to wear one of them and the ro wouldn't need to be near him to record time. Might work well for 22 shooters at steel challenge also.

Just a thought...

Good "out of the box thinking!" Things to overcome:

1.they are twice the price of the normal "blue brick" timers. Might be an issue for clubs to absorb that.

2. They are not intuitive to set. If you don't have one and have learned to use it, you're not going to be handed one and be able to function.

3. The wearer sets the buzzer. Even if you set it to random, when you hit go all you have to do is look at it and you can see the count down. That'd be a competitive advantage over others who get beeped when the RO decides.

I would sometimes put a barrel into stages, with the targets spread just far enough that you had to get your arms up into it.

The Open shooters would bitch like crazy after ULSC about how loud if was in there.

21 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

I would sometimes put a barrel into stages, with the targets spread just far enough that you had to get your arms up into it.

The Open shooters would bitch like crazy after ULSC about how loud if was in there.

Sounds like a fantastic stage for PCC!

40 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

:devil:

28 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Double plugging with electronic ear muffs on the outside seems good enough for me indoors. 

No troubles hearing and the loudest open guns are fine. Ymmv 

Only issue I can see r.o.ing like that , besides hating to wear both inner and outer protection for the greater part of 3 days - which maybe I could get used to, is the loud guns in the bays on either side.

My electronics often shut off while scoring when they were running shooters in one or both adjacent bays, made for a lot of open throttle yelling even without the second set of ear protectors.  

I don't use electronics because the NRR is usually around the 22 mark.  I want more than that.  NRR32 plugs are good enough for me for most guns in wide open air.  NRR28 muffs in addition are fine for Open guns in open air.  Not for anything with a roof over it.  I'm going to replace my NRR28 muffs with the 34 or 37 pair I recently found.  My hearing has definitely taken a hit since I started ROing and shooting Open guns.

Decibel Defense is the 37.  Several of the claimed NRR 34 got really bad reviews saying they were no where near as reducing as claimed.  They all looked the same with different name, so I think they were manufactured by the same plant.  If you care to you can find them in a search on Amazon.  The Pro for SHO NRR 34 looks promising, but there is no explanation about their methods or how they reach so high a rating with their small size..

I have a 3M Peltor TacticalPro Communications Headset MT15H7F SV, from Amazon.  It *says* NRR 26, but it's the best NR headset I've ever had on.   The silicone ear pads (additional) add to the NRR.  Handles Open all day,  including under cover,  and the electronics let me hear conversations.   Sarge put me onto these; he ROs quite a bit and might want to chime in.  

How do the 3-gun RO’s handle the problem?  Blast from an AR is much worse than an open gun.  

I mostly shoot indoors with an open gun, often with a guy shooting an AR or AK in the next lane over.  Plugs and electronic muffs seem adequate to me. 

Far from an expert on noise reduction of various ear pro but I'm under the impression that not all rated decibel reduction claims are made equal so to speak.  The MSA Sordin's I have are not rated among the higher decibel reducing ear pro out there at 18-19NRR but considered among the best ear pro out there.