Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major ammo problem with JAG headstamps

adrone

Guys I wanted to see if anyone else has been having issues since March 2019 with JAG headstamp brass.

9 major. We are using 124g MG Hp’s with anywhere from 6.8-7.2Gr Autocomp. Supposedly once fired brass.

The problem I am having is the crimp is letting go and the powder is blowing around the neck then back down exploding out of the chamber.

Infinity Ultimatch barrel...The chamber is clean and perfect....After firing the brass is ranging from .385 up to .401-.402. The rounds that fail and explode are at the wider end of that typically.

The headstamps are all mixed together and I have fired thousands of rounds lately with about 50 blowing out.

Each one that blows out is headstamped JAG. All of the other brands no problems run perfectly.

Any ideas or advice about what is going on here? I dont know enough to diagnose this...

Thanks

A

I've never seen JAG headstamps.

Sounds like the bullets are falling out of the cases on chambering ???

You don't mention your OAL ?

If bullets are coming out of the cases, it might be due to not resizing the brass tight enough

to secure the bullet.

More details would be good.

Hello: Like I told you I think the brass is not sized correctly. The case is not sealing against the chamber so it is getting those soot makes on the side of the case. Note to others this is only with the JAG brass that he is having the problem and I have not seen the brass in person to see if the brass is shorter than spec. He has also told me that the brass looks very thin near the rim. Thanks, Eric

Blowing out to .402? What is max chamber dimensions in 9mm barrel? I have loaded and fired JAG brass in 9MAJOR enough times to know it hasn’t caused me any problems.

Although I do not shoot major, (carry Optics) I have started to find JAG headstamps in the range brass I have gotten. I found it bulged incredibly bad loading 147 bullets, both MG and Blues.

I finally tossed them into a box with the Aquila and CBC brass and load them with 115 pills and use them for practice only. The brass is just not right for reloading purposes.

19 hours ago, OPENB said:

Can you post a pic? I'm at a loss to understand what is happening. Are you having case ruptures? Is it .401 at the base or the mouth?

Sorry I should have been more specific. The charge is blowing around the case mouth. Its not sealing where the bullet meets the case. They are not rupturing..... they appear to be crimped correctly. Not loose. 

Im pulling the .401 at the widest part of the bulge near the base once the round has already been fired and ejected on some of the bad ones.

This gun has 30-40k rounds through it with zero failures until this Jag ammo problem.

Its fired a thousand rounds the last few days perfectly as well except for a few blow bys  all JAG stamps. Checked and double and triple checked the gun....Chamber is perfect.

OAL is around 1.168 and I couldn’t be sure what the chamber was reemed to I cant remember. Aircooled Racer will know. 

Sorry about pictures I tried to upload some but the file sizes are too large...

I guess just let this message serve as a warning about JAG headstamps. 

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

Blowing out to .402? What is max chamber dimensions in 9mm barrel? I have loaded and fired JAG brass in 9MAJOR enough times to know it hasn’t caused me any problems.

Sarge I agree we never had problems out of JAG before either.....

Doing some reading is does look like Jag was purchased by a company called Ammo Inc earlier this year. About 2 months before we started having this issue...... Something may have changed with their manufacturing I don’t know. Someone would have to examine the tolerances on this ammo to be sure whats going on.

Type in Jesse James ammo review on youtube. Thats Ammo Inc. Its owned by jesse james. Thats who just bought Jag from what I read. I dunno.......just watch and listen....

Edited by adrone

33 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Jagemann is/was a reputable company. 

I would say ditch the Autocomp.  I have ruined more 9mm brass using Autocomp than any other powder. 

Please explain how wac ruins brass.

38 minutes ago, echotango said:

Please explain how wac ruins brass.

I've tried it in two different 9major open guns and just a few tenths of a grain over major I was blowing primers regularly.  A load of 6.8 with a 124 made major, and at 7.0 I was blowing probably half of my primers.  At 7.2 I was blowing every single primer and severely expanding the case head.   None of the brass at or above 7.0 was reusable.   That is too close to the ragged edge of safe for me. 

9 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

I've tried it in two different 9major open guns and just a few tenths of a grain over major I was blowing primers regularly.  A load of 6.8 with a 124 made major, and at 7.0 I was blowing probably half of my primers.  At 7.2 I was blowing every single primer and severely expanding the case head.   None of the brass at or above 7.0 was reusable.   That is too close to the ragged edge of safe for me. 

I have never had any issues with wac.  I have used it with 115, 121 and 124's for prob 125k rounds.  Primers have always looked good with barely any flatness to them.  No more than when I tried HS6 or AA7. 

Edited by echotango

14 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

This is very similar to my experience.

5 hours ago, echotango said:

I have never had any issues with wac.  I have used it with 115, 121 and 124's for prob 125k rounds.  Primers have always looked good with barely any flatness to them.  No more than when I tried HS6 or AA7. 

Yeah same here. It’s posts like that that give products a bad name. I use WAC exclusively and load 8 grains with 115’s over and over.

7 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I throw the S&B away, also - very difficult to prime it.

Yeah, I’ve seen it referred to as primer crunchers. Even after reaming it’s still tight but I load it with my mixed brass for locals/practice