Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock In limited

Rpope423

Alright I’m looking to make the switch from minor to major. I do very well in limited minor hanging with guys up top shooting major but I know at major matches shooting major will help a lot.

But here’s where I am stuck. 

im looking at a Glock 22 or Glock 35

at the moment I shoot a gen 5 34 with a lot of trigger work, Kkm barrel, Dawson sights, Dawson magwell and SJC frame weight. 

If i go glock 22 I’m gonna do a Taylor freelance sight block, lone wolff barrel or a Kkm, Dawson sights, tungsten guide rod trigger work and a heavy magwell with a SJC frame weight. If I do this I’m gonna have to buy an open holster which is kinda hard with me being left handed not many to choose from 

if I go 35 I’m only doing Dawson sights, trigger work, heavy magwell, sjc frame weight, tungsten guide rod. If I do this I can run the holster I have now. 

looking at gen 3 models. 

Whats the pros and cons here. I’m sure I’m bout to get an earful shooting minor in limited lol

The 35 is a solid platform. I started with a gen 3 35 in Ltd and now I shoot it in production. You can’t really go wrong with it. I have thought about building a TF sightblock gun out of a Leo trade in 22 for the hell of it. The 35 offers more flexibility overall in case you want to use it in prod. 

The frame weight has has limited holster availability and if you go non-kydex you will have to mod it. If you go custom kydex you will have to have a very clean draw or it will bind.ghost holster isn’t too bad of a mod job but the locking mechanism is a bit awkward.  

The Ghost One modified for the frame weight is by far my favorite. I think the locking mechanism is fair straight forward and simple.  A G22 with a buried Bomar and front sight on a block is very nice!  Of course a good trigger and what ever magwell you choose as well. The SJC heavy is by far and wide the largest and adds the most weight but can be picky at times of base pads, or at least the older versions (may have been remedied by now). 

Yeah the frame weight holster thing I’ve been frustrated with since I got it and my red eye holster in...after finding out the new 3 piece frame weight doesn’t fit that holster I was not happy, so I took a heat gun and amazingly I got it to work with a little bit of widening. Your right though if you come up the wrong way it’ll bind in a hurry. 

I used to use a 35 in Limited; I use a 24 now.  The 35 was pretty much just as good.  I just like the 24 a tiny bit more.  I have no interest in messing around with sight blocks.  I also wouldn't bother with the aftermarket barrel or frame weight...

44 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

I used to use a 35 in Limited; I use a 24 now.  The 35 was pretty much just as good.  I just like the 24 a tiny bit more.  I have no interest in messing around with sight blocks.  I also wouldn't bother with the aftermarket barrel or frame weight...

Out of curiosity why do you say not to mess wiith aftermarket barrels or framewieghts? I run a Kkm and a frame weight on my 34 and love it 

What have you found you're gaining from the KKM barrel?  The OEM barrels are very accurate.  There's been tests done comparing the OEM to various aftermarket barrels and OEM fared pretty well in all the tests I've seen.  A KKM might be a tiny bit more accurate, but not enough of a difference to matter for USPSA.

I've never tried a frame weight.  I just can't see it really being worth the cost and hassle of having to get a new holster.  I have no issue with the recoil of 35 without the frame weight so really don't see a need.  But if you already have it and a holster for it, then I guess might as well get a 35 and use it on that instead of your 34.

I shoot a different plastic gun in Limited and for me the frame weight was a no go.  I tried one at the last match i shot and after 2 stages i took it off.  But it is probably a personal preference thing.  I also agree with just use the stock barrel.  I don't believe there is enough if any difference in accuracy to worry about.  Unless you happen to get a 35 that for some reason just won't group i would save that money

I’ve found my KKM in my gen 5 to

be more accurate. Also it allows you to load just a little longer. It’s all a confidence thing man. As far as the frame weight, I’m 160lbs at 5’7 I need all the help I can get with recoil lol

The Gen 5 "marksman barrel" is very accurate and can shoot under 2" at 25 yards from a rest.  If the KKM is really more accurate, it's not enough to matter for USPSA.  But hey, if you like the shiny stainless barrel that's cool, it's not my money :P.  The short throat on the Gen 5 barrels is a legit complaint though.  I don't have a Gen 5 yet, but wouldn't be happy if I had to load shorter for it when I get one.  Gen 3 and 4 barrels don't have the short throat issue so you won't have that problem with any .40 Glock.  In all the ones I've owned, the chambers allowed longer rounds than would even fit in a mag.

I weigh less than you and do ok without a frame weight.  But like I said, if you already have one and like it then go for it I guess.  I just don't see the need for me :)

All that being said.  If you can find a 24 I'd consider that.  I really like mine.

One option that often gets missied, if you have reasonably sized hands take a look at a G20 or G40 your already planning to change the barrel so get a 40 replacement. They shoot super soft compared to the small frame guns and the 10mm mags with 140 extensions hold 20 reloadable easily.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I keep hoping Glock releases the Brazilian Federal Police model 22 here. It’s a gen 5 Glock 22 with a slightly thicker slide (kind of like the GAP models).

i mean not an Atlas beater or anything like that 😉 but I don’t mind the regular full size sight radius, and think the heavier slide would actually help a bit shooting major. Throw a heavy magwell and rod in, fairly cheap way to get into limited, especially for those of us with tons of mags, exntensions, holders etc...laying around for the platform.

Edited by JLB-US

12 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

One option that often gets missied, if you have reasonably sized hands take a look at a G20 or G40 your already planning to change the barrel so get a 40 replacement. They shoot super soft compared to the small frame guns and the 10mm mags with 140 extensions hold 20 reloadable easily.

Yep I am putting one together now for next season with a Safariland 014 holster  finding magpouches is a challenge but it looks like a gutted ghost 360 should work 

1 hour ago, Amerflyer48 said:

Yep I am putting one together now for next season with a Safariland 014 holster  finding magpouches is a challenge but it looks like a gutted ghost 360 should work 

yes the Ghost pouches work good you can even leave the little spring thing in them, 

17 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Who makes extensions and magwells? I wouldn’t mind getting more use out of my g20sf

Arredondo extension here with a  Glock store magwell 

not sure the TTI extensions will work with my magwell because that’s where the screw into the brass plug is. Maybe a carver magwell might but even carver suggests Arredondo or Taylor I think. 

Edited by Amerflyer48

On 6/10/2019 at 8:22 PM, Amerflyer48 said:

Arredondo extension here with a  Glock store magwell 

not sure the TTI extensions will work with my magwell because that’s where the screw into the brass plug is. Maybe a carver magwell might but even carver suggests Arredondo or Taylor I think. 

I have the same magwell on my 35.  The TTI's work.  The pin does hit the plug if you have it flush with the bottom of the basepad.

If you push the pin slightly down so it's sticking out the bottom it doesn't hit.

Either way they work and work well.