Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
adam500

First 2011 Build

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Muddawg900 said:

Adam500,

 

This is an excellent build!!! Thanks for sharing. I too am planning to build my own 2011 and just purchased my first few (albeit mostly small and inexpensive) parts to break the ice. Unfortunately my build is going to take some time, but I'm extremely excited for what's to come. Any advice you would mind sharing??

 

-Muddawg

Just go do it. Dont set a time frame and dont be afraid to stop and take a step back if something doesn't seem right. If you don't have calipers and all the 1911/2011 specs please get familiar before you start. Files do remove lots of metal so go slow!

 

Thanks,

Adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do indeed have calipers, a couple pair actually. I've watched many youtube videos to see what all is involved. My favorite was MosinVirus's series that he made. He used an 80% frame, but I think I'm going to get a serialized frame instead. I've been researching the hell out of specs and the processes and the smithing involved. Hoping I can make a tight and accurate gun. If you were going to do it again knowing what you know now, would you change anything different? 

 

Thanks,

Muddawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Muddawg900 said:

I do indeed have calipers, a couple pair actually. I've watched many youtube videos to see what all is involved. My favorite was MosinVirus's series that he made. He used an 80% frame, but I think I'm going to get a serialized frame instead. I've been researching the hell out of specs and the processes and the smithing involved. Hoping I can make a tight and accurate gun. If you were going to do it again knowing what you know now, would you change anything different? 

  

Thanks,

Muddawg

I would have bought the STI grip that was already undercut and stippled. It was the most work of the entire thing. I also bought the cheapest based on color since I was going to coat it afterwards. Coating them is a PITA since they cannot go over 150 degrees. So get the color you want and the stippling already done :). Worth the price difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been looking at getting a metal grip like the Cheely e2 double undercut aggressive grip. But boy they are pricey, 550-650$ for grip, beaver tail and magwell, depending if it's stainless or aluminum. That and the slide are the two parts that are really hanging me up on this project. I feel confident enough to hand fit everything though. Still haven't decided if I'm going to finish it or leave it in the white. I've even gotten to the point of considering a plastic grip just to help speed this along. Regardless I'm looking at no less than 10mo before I have a chance to build it due to deployment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 9:01 AM, Muddawg900 said:

I've been looking at getting a metal grip like the Cheely e2 double undercut aggressive grip. But boy they are pricey, 550-650$ for grip, beaver tail and magwell, depending if it's stainless or aluminum. That and the slide are the two parts that are really hanging me up on this project. I feel confident enough to hand fit everything though. Still haven't decided if I'm going to finish it or leave it in the white. I've even gotten to the point of considering a plastic grip just to help speed this along. Regardless I'm looking at no less than 10mo before I have a chance to build it due to deployment.

 

I hear they shoot great. I cannot justify it myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adam500 said:

 

I hear they shoot great. I cannot justify it myself. 

I've heard the same. I'll have to save up later for one. Until then I'll settle for the plastic grip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job. I was never a big fan of all the fancy stuff. Make it accurate and reliable first, then worry about pretty. Yours is far from ugly. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicely done, Adam500!

 

Beautiful job and a source of great satisfaction that YOU built it!

Who did the Cerakote for you?  Looks like they did a fantastic job!

 

All my best, 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job on the build and on selecting parts.  Now you know how much work goes into a pistol build.

But, it has to be a great satisfaction to you when you shoot this gun at a match and have other shooters

look at it and wish they (me included) the guts to attempt a build.  Good luck in doing future builds.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work! Good to know your budget is well controlled. Does the barrel need a lot of work to fit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Very sweet build man. Have you shot it in USPSA yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work, I have been toying with the Idea of building my next pistol vs buying. I have been torn between 191 and 2011. you may have swayed my hand a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

computer double posted sorry

Edited by Denato1
computer double posted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...