Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 2011 Build

adam500

9 hours ago, Muddawg900 said:

Adam500,

This is an excellent build!!! Thanks for sharing. I too am planning to build my own 2011 and just purchased my first few (albeit mostly small and inexpensive) parts to break the ice. Unfortunately my build is going to take some time, but I'm extremely excited for what's to come. Any advice you would mind sharing??

-Muddawg

Just go do it. Dont set a time frame and dont be afraid to stop and take a step back if something doesn't seem right. If you don't have calipers and all the 1911/2011 specs please get familiar before you start. Files do remove lots of metal so go slow!

Thanks,

Adam

I do indeed have calipers, a couple pair actually. I've watched many youtube videos to see what all is involved. My favorite was MosinVirus's series that he made. He used an 80% frame, but I think I'm going to get a serialized frame instead. I've been researching the hell out of specs and the processes and the smithing involved. Hoping I can make a tight and accurate gun. If you were going to do it again knowing what you know now, would you change anything different? 

Thanks,

Muddawg

12 minutes ago, Muddawg900 said:

I do indeed have calipers, a couple pair actually. I've watched many youtube videos to see what all is involved. My favorite was MosinVirus's series that he made. He used an 80% frame, but I think I'm going to get a serialized frame instead. I've been researching the hell out of specs and the processes and the smithing involved. Hoping I can make a tight and accurate gun. If you were going to do it again knowing what you know now, would you change anything different? 

Thanks,

Muddawg

I would have bought the STI grip that was already undercut and stippled. It was the most work of the entire thing. I also bought the cheapest based on color since I was going to coat it afterwards. Coating them is a PITA since they cannot go over 150 degrees. So get the color you want and the stippling already done :). Worth the price difference. 

I've been looking at getting a metal grip like the Cheely e2 double undercut aggressive grip. But boy they are pricey, 550-650$ for grip, beaver tail and magwell, depending if it's stainless or aluminum. That and the slide are the two parts that are really hanging me up on this project. I feel confident enough to hand fit everything though. Still haven't decided if I'm going to finish it or leave it in the white. I've even gotten to the point of considering a plastic grip just to help speed this along. Regardless I'm looking at no less than 10mo before I have a chance to build it due to deployment.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:01 AM, Muddawg900 said:

I've been looking at getting a metal grip like the Cheely e2 double undercut aggressive grip. But boy they are pricey, 550-650$ for grip, beaver tail and magwell, depending if it's stainless or aluminum. That and the slide are the two parts that are really hanging me up on this project. I feel confident enough to hand fit everything though. Still haven't decided if I'm going to finish it or leave it in the white. I've even gotten to the point of considering a plastic grip just to help speed this along. Regardless I'm looking at no less than 10mo before I have a chance to build it due to deployment.

I hear they shoot great. I cannot justify it myself. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great job on the build and on selecting parts.  Now you know how much work goes into a pistol build.

But, it has to be a great satisfaction to you when you shoot this gun at a match and have other shooters

look at it and wish they (me included) the guts to attempt a build.  Good luck in doing future builds.......

• 2 months later...