Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which slide to buy? 9 major Open.

open17

BTW: On the subject of lightening; one of the new projects I'm planning is a new racegun built on a Caspian double stack with a commander slide. Taking 3/4"off the front of the slide will lighten it without compromising integrity.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:58 AM, zzt said:

My point was if you are going to buy a Caspian slide, buy it from Caspian.  If it is not correct you have recourse.  I've had to send things back twice.  If you bought it from Brownell's you do have recourse, and you may well have to use it.  I certainly have.  From others, you are stuck.  I found that out the hard way.  So now I won't buy any frame or slide from anyone unless I can get a full refund or exchange if the part turns out to dimensionally wrong or roughly machined.

Makes sense

• 2 months later...

So what is it about 9mm major vs. .38 super that seems to make them more susceptible to cracking? This season I have personally seen or heard of, including mine, four 9mm open slides crack and one .38 super.  A very small sample I know, just seeking some wider triangulation.  IF in fact 9mm's have a lifespan of 30-50k vs. a super which can run 100+ then loosing $20-30 of brass a match vs. replacing a slide doesn't seem so bad.  Increasingly questioning my switch to 9mm open.  

4 minutes ago, docscoutjr said:

So what is it about 9mm major vs. .38 super that seems to make them more susceptible to cracking? This season I have personally seen or heard of, including mine, four 9mm open slides crack and one .38 super.  A very small sample I know, just seeking some wider triangulation.  IF in fact 9mm's have a lifespan of 30-50k vs. a super which can run 100+ then loosing $20-30 of brass a match vs. replacing a slide doesn't seem so bad.  Increasingly questioning my switch to 9mm open.  

At $20 a match for lost brass (low ball) I shoot about 3 matches a month for 7 months a season plus a few majors. Probably about $600 a year or so? No thanks! I’ll get a new slide every 4-5 years and still save an ass load of money. 

Just now, Sarge said:

At $20 a match for lost brass (low ball) I shoot about 3 matches a month for 7 months a season plus a few majors. Probably about $600 a year or so? No thanks! I’ll get a new slide every 4-5 years and still save an ass load of money. 

Good point.  AND when you can get fully processed 9mm brass that whistles through a 650 like  butter, I so love that! 

Check out Warwick tactical for Slides. Made in the US all in house. They've been in business (as a machine shop) for over 30 years. Slides come Tri-Topped. Currently out of stock but will

Be back soon. Check out the website www.warwicktactical.com. feel free to PM me with any questions as I have a bunch of their guns as well as slides and frames sitting around for future builds. 

I have not, yet.  I just talked to them about their dims, etc., and everything sounds good.  Cat is putting up a coupon good for the remainder of this week.  Buy one slide and get the second half off.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I have not, yet.  I just talked to them about their dims, etc., and everything sounds good.  Cat is putting up a coupon good for the remainder of this week.  Buy one slide and get the second half off.

Is the coupon on the website?