Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
open17

Which slide to buy? 9 major Open.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

9 Major open guns--eventually a side will crack.  I've had a couple crack, and now I'm MAYBE seeing a 

crack starting on wifes gun.  Time to get ahead of the process.  What's the current wisdom on the 

best bald/classic 9/38 slide?    I'm a little leery of STI---seen a pile of them crack in the past few years,

but they are available.  The slide on her gun is a CK--would buy another but no one has them in stock.

Caspian QC seems a bit iffy at present.    Brazos?  Or is it actually a STI?   How about Tripp?  Suggestions?

Edited by open17
add options

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tripp all the way.  They are manufactured by the same firm than made the slides for JEM.  I have one and it was perfect in hole locations, etc.  They are a little heavy, but you are going to lighten it up for Open anyway.  Brazos uses STI slides.  I will NeVER, ever again use STI anything, except gen 2 mags.  The last two Caspian slides I used sucked, so they are a last resort.  CK Arms slides crack.  Cheely won't sell any of his stash.  And the North Carolina company who supposedly makes okay slide won't sell in lots of one.

 

If Tripp doesn't have what you want in stock, call Ed at JEM Guns.  He is so fed up he is tooling up to make his own.  His frames are great, so I'd expect his slides will be also.

 

I'll also say that the very worst thing you could do is buy STI or Caspian from Brownells of other similar suppliers.  Manufactures only sell them the dregs.  They keep everything good for themselves.

 

BTW, if you lighten it properly it will never crack.

Edited by zzt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zzt said:

Tripp all the way. 

 

BTW, if you lighten it properly it will never crack.

 

Care to elaborate?    What is the proper way to lighten a slide?    Always interested in learning new things----

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed 2 cracks in my slide yesterday when cleaning for today’s match. CK slide, which I’m told is really an STI slide. I think a PT slide is next. Put a big dent in my savings for my next open gun, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, open17 said:

 

Care to elaborate?    What is the proper way to lighten a slide?    Always interested in learning new things----

 

Come on, ZZT, don't leave us hanging here.     :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, open17 said:

9 Major open guns--eventually a side will crack.  I've had a couple crack, and now I'm MAYBE seeing a 

crack starting on wifes gun.  Time to get ahead of the process.  What's the current wisdom on the 

best bald/classic 9/38 slide?    I'm a little leery of STI---seen a pile of them crack in the past few years,

but they are available.  The slide on her gun is a CK--would buy another but no one has them in stock.

Caspian QC seems a bit iffy at present.    Brazos?  Or is it actually a STI?   How about Tripp?  Suggestions?

 

Sounds like you are not considering a budget build, but here is what I did last year on my open gun.  I converted my old (excellent custom build) CAN Para .40 open gun to 9mm.  I used a new Rem Custom 9 complete top end off ebay, a EGW cone comp.  Not a big fitting job at all for a local smith to finish.  A few tuning items and done.  Maybe I just got lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, zzt said:

Tripp all the way.  They are manufactured by the same firm than made the slides for JEM.  I have one and it was perfect in hole locations, etc.  They are a little heavy, but you are going to lighten it up for Open anyway.  Brazos uses STI slides.  I will NeVER, ever again use STI anything, except gen 2 mags.  The last two Caspian slides I used sucked, so they are a last resort.  CK Arms slides crack.  Cheely won't sell any of his stash.  And the North Carolina company who supposedly makes okay slide won't sell in lots of one.

 

If Tripp doesn't have what you want in stock, call Ed at JEM Guns.  He is so fed up he is tooling up to make his own.  His frames are great, so I'd expect his slides will be also.

 

I'll also say that the very worst thing you could do is buy STI or Caspian from Brownells of other similar suppliers.  Manufactures only sell them the dregs.  They keep everything good for themselves.

 

BTW, if you lighten it properly it will never crack.

 

It looks like Brazos is making their own slides now. Plus their old milled slides you can get in STI or Caspian 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello: I would look for a Caspian slide or a PT slide. Both are made from better steel than some of the other slides out there now. I think alot of the builders are getting the slides from the same place and just rebadging them. Seems odd to me they are breaking in the same spot and the steel looks and machines the same way. Thanks, Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

 

It looks like Brazos is making their own slides now. Plus their old milled slides you can get in STI or Caspian 

 

Are they  making the slides in house or are they actually STI?    It gets a bit confusing.   Lots of slides out there,

but who actually makes them.   Phoenix Trinity and SV appear to be in-house.    Assuming the Ed Brown/Les Baer/Nighthawk

slides are STI or Caspian?    CK is/was STI?    How about Fusion?

 

Looks like STI and Caspian are the available slides at present?  A previous thread says that the JEM manufactured slides under

whatever name are not availavble until they get their machinery fixed--a few more months?

 

If the Brazos bald/classic is made by Brazos I'll give one a try----

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, open17 said:

 

Are they  making the slides in house or are they actually STI?    It gets a bit confusing.   Lots of slides out there,

but who actually makes them.   Phoenix Trinity and SV appear to be in-house.    Assuming the Ed Brown/Les Baer/Nighthawk

slides are STI or Caspian?    CK is/was STI?    How about Fusion?

 

Looks like STI and Caspian are the available slides at present?  A previous thread says that the JEM manufactured slides under

whatever name are not availavble until they get their machinery fixed--a few more months?

 

If the Brazos bald/classic is made by Brazos I'll give one a try----

 

It is hard to decipher but one post on their Facebook says they got 40 s&w slide from STI and another post says the 40 are made the same as 9/38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I cracked 2 STI's within a couple months of each other.  I now have Caspians with 30k+ on them with no issues. 

Edited by echotango

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emailed Bob at Brazos this morning re the source on their bald slides---here is the reply:

 

"Contracted out to our specs – not STI or Caspian."

 

Might have to give one a try!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello: So does that mean that Bob is getting them from the same place as STI, CK and some others are getting them from? Like I stated above get one from Caspian/Foster or PT. Thanks, Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Website.jpg

 

Just a thought.  I been using Caspian slides and frames for years and never had a failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

does that mean Bob is getting them from STI

 

Eric, he said "not STI".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Infinity slides...check with Speed Shooter's Intl, they usually have both bald unique and classic cut slides.  Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

Eric, he said "not STI".

Jack, I don't think STI is making their slides any longer. I think they out sourced them like many of the others have. When different makers of pistols that are breaking the slides in the same spot and the grain structure looks the same tells me something. So maybe Bob is getting from the same place as the others are? Thanks, Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 9:59 PM, open17 said:

 

Care to elaborate?    What is the proper way to lighten a slide?    Always interested in learning new things----

 

Leave full metal where it counts.  Remove metal where it doesn't.  Nothing was removed from the hood and barrel lug areas, or the front of the slide where the barrel locks up.

100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, zzt, that does make sense.     :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you only get down to 10.5 ounces, bit it will last forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caspian seems to be rock solid reliable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 7:49 PM, Dranoel said:

Website.jpg

 

Just a thought.  I been using Caspian slides and frames for years and never had a failure.

 

I assume these cuts are from Caspian?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 5:07 PM, zzt said:

 

 

I'll also say that the very worst thing you could do is buy STI or Caspian from Brownells of other similar suppliers.  Manufactures only sell them the dregs.  They keep everything good for themselves.

 

BTW, if you lighten it properly it will never crack.

 

 

Interesting comment about Caspian. I’ve got a Caspian slide on a 9major gun with around 80k rounds on it. No cracks. 

 

Of course it’ll prob crack next week now that I said that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, d_striker said:

 

 

Interesting comment about Caspian. I’ve got a Caspian slide on a 9major gun with around 80k rounds on it. No cracks. 

 

Of course it’ll prob crack next week now that I said that. 

 

My point was if you are going to buy a Caspian slide, buy it from Caspian.  If it is not correct you have recourse.  I've had to send things back twice.  If you bought it from Brownell's you do have recourse, and you may well have to use it.  I certainly have.  From others, you are stuck.  I found that out the hard way.  So now I won't buy any frame or slide from anyone unless I can get a full refund or exchange if the part turns out to dimensionally wrong or roughly machined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 1:11 PM, Th3Un4givin said:

 

I assume these cuts are from Caspian?

 

Yes. That is an ad straight from Caspian's website. Getting ready to order a couple High & Tights for new projects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...