Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which slide to buy? 9 major Open.

open17

9 Major open guns--eventually a side will crack.  I've had a couple crack, and now I'm MAYBE seeing a 

crack starting on wifes gun.  Time to get ahead of the process.  What's the current wisdom on the 

best bald/classic 9/38 slide?    I'm a little leery of STI---seen a pile of them crack in the past few years,

but they are available.  The slide on her gun is a CK--would buy another but no one has them in stock.

Caspian QC seems a bit iffy at present.    Brazos?  Or is it actually a STI?   How about Tripp?  Suggestions?

Edited by open17
add options

Tripp all the way.  They are manufactured by the same firm than made the slides for JEM.  I have one and it was perfect in hole locations, etc.  They are a little heavy, but you are going to lighten it up for Open anyway.  Brazos uses STI slides.  I will NeVER, ever again use STI anything, except gen 2 mags.  The last two Caspian slides I used sucked, so they are a last resort.  CK Arms slides crack.  Cheely won't sell any of his stash.  And the North Carolina company who supposedly makes okay slide won't sell in lots of one.

If Tripp doesn't have what you want in stock, call Ed at JEM Guns.  He is so fed up he is tooling up to make his own.  His frames are great, so I'd expect his slides will be also.

I'll also say that the very worst thing you could do is buy STI or Caspian from Brownells of other similar suppliers.  Manufactures only sell them the dregs.  They keep everything good for themselves.

BTW, if you lighten it properly it will never crack.

Edited by zzt

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Tripp all the way. 

Care to elaborate?    What is the proper way to lighten a slide?    Always interested in learning new things----

13 hours ago, open17 said:

9 Major open guns--eventually a side will crack.  I've had a couple crack, and now I'm MAYBE seeing a 

crack starting on wifes gun.  Time to get ahead of the process.  What's the current wisdom on the 

best bald/classic 9/38 slide?    I'm a little leery of STI---seen a pile of them crack in the past few years,

but they are available.  The slide on her gun is a CK--would buy another but no one has them in stock.

Caspian QC seems a bit iffy at present.    Brazos?  Or is it actually a STI?   How about Tripp?  Suggestions?

Sounds like you are not considering a budget build, but here is what I did last year on my open gun.  I converted my old (excellent custom build) CAN Para .40 open gun to 9mm.  I used a new Rem Custom 9 complete top end off ebay, a EGW cone comp.  Not a big fitting job at all for a local smith to finish.  A few tuning items and done.  Maybe I just got lucky.

14 hours ago, zzt said:

Tripp all the way.  They are manufactured by the same firm than made the slides for JEM.  I have one and it was perfect in hole locations, etc.  They are a little heavy, but you are going to lighten it up for Open anyway.  Brazos uses STI slides.  I will NeVER, ever again use STI anything, except gen 2 mags.  The last two Caspian slides I used sucked, so they are a last resort.  CK Arms slides crack.  Cheely won't sell any of his stash.  And the North Carolina company who supposedly makes okay slide won't sell in lots of one.

If Tripp doesn't have what you want in stock, call Ed at JEM Guns.  He is so fed up he is tooling up to make his own.  His frames are great, so I'd expect his slides will be also.

I'll also say that the very worst thing you could do is buy STI or Caspian from Brownells of other similar suppliers.  Manufactures only sell them the dregs.  They keep everything good for themselves.

It looks like Brazos is making their own slides now. Plus their old milled slides you can get in STI or Caspian 

Hello: I would look for a Caspian slide or a PT slide. Both are made from better steel than some of the other slides out there now. I think alot of the builders are getting the slides from the same place and just rebadging them. Seems odd to me they are breaking in the same spot and the steel looks and machines the same way. Thanks, Eric

31 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

It looks like Brazos is making their own slides now. Plus their old milled slides you can get in STI or Caspian 

Are they  making the slides in house or are they actually STI?    It gets a bit confusing.   Lots of slides out there,

but who actually makes them.   Phoenix Trinity and SV appear to be in-house.    Assuming the Ed Brown/Les Baer/Nighthawk

slides are STI or Caspian?    CK is/was STI?    How about Fusion?

Looks like STI and Caspian are the available slides at present?  A previous thread says that the JEM manufactured slides under

whatever name are not availavble until they get their machinery fixed--a few more months?

If the Brazos bald/classic is made by Brazos I'll give one a try----

13 minutes ago, open17 said:

Are they  making the slides in house or are they actually STI?    It gets a bit confusing.   Lots of slides out there,

but who actually makes them.   Phoenix Trinity and SV appear to be in-house.    Assuming the Ed Brown/Les Baer/Nighthawk

slides are STI or Caspian?    CK is/was STI?    How about Fusion?

Looks like STI and Caspian are the available slides at present?  A previous thread says that the JEM manufactured slides under

whatever name are not availavble until they get their machinery fixed--a few more months?

If the Brazos bald/classic is made by Brazos I'll give one a try----

It is hard to decipher but one post on their Facebook says they got 40 s&w slide from STI and another post says the 40 are made the same as 9/38

Emailed Bob at Brazos this morning re the source on their bald slides---here is the reply:

"Contracted out to our specs – not STI or Caspian."

Might have to give one a try!

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Eric, he said "not STI".

Jack, I don't think STI is making their slides any longer. I think they out sourced them like many of the others have. When different makers of pistols that are breaking the slides in the same spot and the grain structure looks the same tells me something. So maybe Bob is getting from the same place as the others are? Thanks, Eric

On 6/7/2019 at 9:59 PM, open17 said:

Care to elaborate?    What is the proper way to lighten a slide?    Always interested in learning new things----

Leave full metal where it counts.  Remove metal where it doesn't.  Nothing was removed from the hood and barrel lug areas, or the front of the slide where the barrel locks up.

100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

On 6/7/2019 at 5:07 PM, zzt said:

Interesting comment about Caspian. I’ve got a Caspian slide on a 9major gun with around 80k rounds on it. No cracks. 

Of course it’ll prob crack next week now that I said that. 

7 hours ago, d_striker said:

Interesting comment about Caspian. I’ve got a Caspian slide on a 9major gun with around 80k rounds on it. No cracks. 

Of course it’ll prob crack next week now that I said that. 

My point was if you are going to buy a Caspian slide, buy it from Caspian.  If it is not correct you have recourse.  I've had to send things back twice.  If you bought it from Brownell's you do have recourse, and you may well have to use it.  I certainly have.  From others, you are stuck.  I found that out the hard way.  So now I won't buy any frame or slide from anyone unless I can get a full refund or exchange if the part turns out to dimensionally wrong or roughly machined.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:11 PM, Th3Un4givin said:

I assume these cuts are from Caspian?

Yes. That is an ad straight from Caspian's website. Getting ready to order a couple High & Tights for new projects.