Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 Load Decision - well above minimum PF?

SlvrDragon50

image.thumb.png.814651304dabd22249ac64afde53dded.png

Developed some new 223 loads using a new 62gr PRVI bullet. I am leaning towards using 23.5gr of XBR8208, but my PF is well above the minimum. Most of our targets are half size targets in the 25-50 yard range. It was a pretty windy day, and the target was flopping around quite a bit at 50 yards, and I know my POA was more consistent on the 23.5gr target. I also had a good bit of trouble shooting the 23.0gr target due to the wind.

Anyone else shooting well above minimum PF? I should note that the 22gr load didn't hold the bolt back on last round, but it would probably be resolved easily with adjusting my gas block.

I probably wouldn't use any of those except for up close (less than 100yards). I bet you can find a different combination that works better with your gun. I would try for at least 2 MOA. Maybe try again with less wind?

I went with a 55 grain load that gets hits out to 200 and doesn't make the dot move at all (55 grain @ 2800 fps)

not to burst your bubble....   I have found that PRIVI bullets don't shoot well, there is a world of difference between FMJ bullets and PRIVI are at the low end of the list.  50 yds is way too close to check loads for accuracy other than to see if the bullets are stable or coming apart; you need 100 yds at a minimum and really need to shoot 10 rds to get a good idea as you want to verify in a hot barrel.  I am looking for 1.5-2" for 10 rds at 200 yds with a not terrible ES and that's it for 3gun, highpower ammo is different.  I went the route of verifying that my 77g load worked out well enough and then tried same powder w. 62g H FMJs.  They shot well enough for use to 200 yds. and close enough to same POI.  

Everything I shoot is up close so accuracy has never been a big factor to me. I really should have just bought a boatload of Hornady 55gr. I'm just using up my remaining stock of PRVI. I have about 1000 Hornady 68gr bullets that I'm switching to afterwards, but I think I am going to switch back to 55gr once I run through that. I just don't shoot at distances that necessitate heavier ammo. I usually didn't have too much issue hitting steel plates at 2/300 yards with the 55gr XBR load. My 55gr load had 24.5gr of XBR and chrono'd at 2770 fps.

I have tested loads with better groups using Hornady 55gr at 100 yards, but I find it hard to develop loads past 50 yards and making sure POA is consistent. I was only using a bench rest at the front so there was some wobble in the POA. My mind is still blown that people are able to hit targets past 100 yards with a red dot.

Realistically, this PRVI batch is just to not let the bullets go to waste as I have no intention of buying the PRVI bullets again as Hornady bullets are cheaper.