Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why load long 2011's 40 S&W?

CzViper

Newer to 2011's. So after some reading a lot of people seem to be loading long on 40 S&W.

I have a load that I use for my CZ TS/TSO which is obviously short but functions and cycles everything fine in my 2011's.

My question is simply why load long? And what are the benefits for the 2011's if my other load is ultra reliable?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Generally it is to enhance feeding reliability. 

I have two XDm 40s and a Rock Island doublestack in 40 that will feed almost any length ammo reliably, but my 40 S&W Sig 1911s require much longer (almost 10mm length) ammo to feed smoothly. 

If your 2011 is ultra reliable (darn near 100% or better) 😜 , there's probably little to no reason to load long.

If your other load is ultra reliable then I don’t see why you would want to change it. My guns have seemed to prefer long loaded ammo. I assume this is due to the original design dimensions of the 1911 being built around the .45acp and it’s longer overall length. So getting closer to that OAL will help avoid some feeding issues associated with trying to force a shorter length load to work in that system. My gun really likes rounds around 1.19-1.2”. When I run factory ammo I can almost feel the rounds chunking into the feed ramp and chamber. They usually run OK... I can probably get thru a mag without problem but FTFeed malfunctions are common- and the gun just doesn’t feel smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Newer to 2011's. So after some reading a lot of people seem to be loading long on 40 S&W.

I have a load that I use for my CZ TS/TSO which is obviously short but functions and cycles everything fine in my 2011's.

My question is simply why load long? And what are the benefits for the 2011's if my other load is ultra reliable?

The longer distance the round has to travel to barrel the more chances it can crash into feed ramp. Loading longer puts the round right in front of the feed ramp and rounds angle upward if mags are tuned properly. This greatly reduces chances of failures to feed. I load my ammo to 1.225 OAL

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It depends on how the gun and magazines are built. If they are designed for longer rounds, longer will feed better and you get better reliability.

Why would they be designed that way? The design came from 1911's which were designed for .45 ACP which in turn has quite different dimensions from .40. 

Just use the ammo as is.  I loaded to 1.126" for my CZ TS and that length worked fine in my 2011.  I experimented with lengths up to 1.180" and saw no difference other that I needed more powder to make major at the longer lengths.  If you switch to a bullet that gives you feeding problems, then load longer.

• 2 weeks later...
Just use the ammo as is.  I loaded to 1.126" for my CZ TS and that length worked fine in my 2011.  I experimented with lengths up to 1.180" and saw no difference other that I needed more powder to make major at the longer lengths.  If you switch to a bullet that gives you feeding problems, then load longer.
Thanks to everyone who commented. Appreciate another CZ shooter chiming in.
As long as it stays reliable and accurate in both guns guess I'll keep it.

Lower pressure, feeding reliability.  On the second point, it's still important to do a plunk test and see what your firearm likes.  Some profiles seem to work fine long or short, others seem to work better the longer I load them.  My 9mm 2011's don't seem to mind either way, while my 40 definitely prefers them loaded longer on the whole.

Edited by fbzero