Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having a hard time finding matches

Hey folks, I investigated getting into practical shooting sports a few years back, but I'm ready to give it another try.

Aside from the obvious gear and training issues that I assume everyone has, I am struggling to find local matches that are not held directly overlapping my sunday church time.  I live in Milford Ohio, and when I look it up on the website, it seems to show just two options, which are both nice places, but they both have their stuff scheduled in a way that conflicts for me.  Clearly this is my problem and not yours, but I have a couple questions here...

1.  Do pretty much all clubs do their USPSA type matches on Sunday?  Is that just the convention?  Or does it vary?

2.  Related to this question, assuming some do it on Saturday, how far may one expect to drive to find a "compatible" club?  Do some of you guys and gals drive a couple hours? 

Hey folks, I investigated getting into practical shooting sports a few years back, but I'm ready to give it another try.

Aside from the obvious gear and training issues that I assume everyone has, I am struggling to find local matches that are not held directly overlapping my sunday church time.  I live in Milford Ohio, and when I look it up on the website, it seems to show just two options, which are both nice places, but they both have their stuff scheduled in a way that conflicts for me.  Clearly this is my problem and not yours, but I have a couple questions here...

1.  Do pretty much all clubs do their USPSA type matches on Sunday?  Is that just the convention?  Or does it vary?

2.  Related to this question, assuming some do it on Saturday, how far may one expect to drive to find a "compatible" club?  Do some of you guys and gals drive a couple hours? 
I'll drive up to 2.5 hours for a local match. I've made enough friends at these clubs to keep going back. You should do it!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Around here, most matches are Sunday. There are a couple that offer a Saturday option for their matches that still runs on Sunday as well. 

I will drive 2.5 hours to a match no issue. Farther than that for a Level II or higher, unless i am visiting friends/family and there happens to be a match in the area then I'll do Level I

Back when I ran matches, especially when I was starting a new club, I tried having matches on Saturdays some, and Sundays some.  There was more attendance on Sunday, so we settled on Sundays usually, trying to offer the opportunity to the most people.  I regretted we could not get everyone that wanted to shoot there on match day.

But it will vary.

Sundays can present some people problems as well.  I would not try to interfere with anyone's church attendance, and we had several shoote5s that had church services on Sunday (as is common).  We settled that if they could make it to the range by 1 o'clock, they could shoot the match.  I think some of them wore their leather (long time ago) to church (maybe guns too) to save time once they got to the range.

Good luck.

All four clubs I've shot at, IL, IN, and TN, have their USPSA matches on Saturdays...

The longest drive I've done for matches was about an hour and 45 minutes.

As others have stated, some sat and some sunday.  Like the OP, I try and reserve sunday for church.  One of our local matches started opening up limited slots to shoot with the setup crew on sat, and the majority of the shooters shoot on sunday.  This works great.  Maybe one of your MDs will adopt the same.  Good luck!

Why I roll my eyes at all the "grow the sport" stuff that only looks at shooters, with no mention of needing more places to shoot .
I got burnt out on 5 hour round trip for a local crowded match that started requiring reservations a couple weeks out. IIRC they shot Saturdays.

Friday Night Steel over at Fairfield Sportsman Association: https://www.fridaynightsteel.com/

IDPA and 3-gun on Saturdays at BGSL in Wilmore, KY (near Lexington): http://bgslinc.com/calendar/

and I think there are indoor USPSA matches at Hammer Down range in Loveland (maybe only in winter?) https://practiscore.com/clubs/hammer_down_range

https://www.hammerdownrange.com/uspsa/

Edited by johnmac
add match

Around SW Ohio your only Saturday USPSA option in PCSI in Circleville. BUT they set up Saturday morning so be prepared for a very long day. I shot there once and we didn’t start shooting until around 11:00. Throw in almost two hour drive each way, setting up then eating because it’s about dinner time when you finish and you can easily spend 10 hours just to shoot a local.

Dawg Valley started out on Saturday’s last year but this meant set up and other range prep had to happen on Friday afternoon. They wisely switched to Sunday this year. MRPC, OXFORD, Miamisburg, DV all set up Saturday afternoon to get things going earlier on Sunday. 

Church is really not a consideration when running these matches. That’s unfortunate for avid churchgoers but logistically it’s the best day to shoot. 

On 6/7/2019 at 10:28 AM, jwestonmoss said:

I also go to church, and regret the lack of matches not held on Sunday.  

In addition to the ones already listed, Target World (in Sharonville - close to where I-275 and I-75 intersect on the north side of Cincinnati) holds indoor IDPA matches on the second and fourth Tuesday evening of each month. 

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/1cff77_d2e2fb5159404b76b3a1694e42a833fa.pdf  

Attendance usually drops during the summer months, so check first to make sure the match isn't cancelled. 

Signup for tomorrow's (June 11th) match here:  http://www.idpamatchsignup.com/osm_match_signup_main.aspx  Starts at 6PM, and finishes by 9.  We usually have a couple new shooters at every match.  

Edited by Ken6PPC
Insert Links

Other Saturday shooting options:

1. PCSI IDPA second Saturday of the month

2. Richwood IDPA fourth Saturday of the month

They both kick off at 10 and are done by 1 PM.  How far of a drive those are depends on where one begins from.  Google maps will tell you.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:53 AM, Ken6PPC said:

I also go to church, and regret the lack of matches not held on Sunday.  

In addition to the ones already listed, Target World (in Sharonville - close to where I-275 and I-75 intersect on the north side of Cincinnati) holds indoor IDPA matches on the second and fourth Tuesday evening of each month. 

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/1cff77_d2e2fb5159404b76b3a1694e42a833fa.pdf  

Attendance usually drops during the summer months, so check first to make sure the match isn't cancelled. 

Signup for tomorrow's (June 11th) match here:  http://www.idpamatchsignup.com/osm_match_signup_main.aspx  Starts at 6PM, and finishes by 9.  We usually have a couple new shooters at every match.  

I can’t with a clear conscience send anybody to Target World. They love to take advantage of the political climate. 

Not meant to sound mean.

If anyone knew where you are from they may be able to send you to some matches,in your area. 

In SC. where I’m located there’s a match just about every weekend, and yes some are on Sunday.

most are 2 to 2 1/2 hrs from home. Good luck.

Man I wish we had more Sunday matches. There's one within a couple hours every Saturday here.

Two hours one way is a pretty hard limit for me Lvl 1, but I have closer options. I know people that travel further.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:26 PM, EEH said:

Not meant to sound mean.

If anyone knew where you are from they may be able to send you to some matches,in your area.

Did you read the sentence in his very first post where he said he lived in Milford, Ohio?

Apparently not.

6 hours ago, elguapo said:

Did you read the sentence in his very first post where he said he lived in Milford, Ohio?

Apparently not.

Big as life,, oops