Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
rowdyb

Return to a cancelled match?

Would you travel back to a cancelled match?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

A4 was cancelled Thursday evening due to an accumulation of weather issues. So just generally, not A4 specific, if you'd planned to attend a match that required at a minimum of one hotel night would you go back to the match when it was rescheduled or would you just write it off? What criteria would you use to make your decision?

 

Please, let's not make this about A4's decision. About what you would do as a competitor.

Edited by rowdyb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go back but only if was convenient. I got a full refund on my hotel for Friday night. As long as the match is rescheduled where I don't have to withdraw from another major, I'd go.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d probably go, depending on scheduling and what match it was. I don’t shoot a lot of major matches right now, so I’m probably going to want to try to go if I can make it work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since they had to cancel after a rather insane level of windstorm shredded all their stages AFTER they fought rain for an entire week?

 

I think I’d cut them some slack on this one.

 

Unless I had a nonrefundable plane ticket booked. Then I’d be pissed. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question is, would you go shoot a match in pouring rain, wind ?

You take a chance when you book flight motel and range fee six months early. 

Yes I would try to go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EEH said:

Question is, would you go shoot a match in pouring rain, wind ?

You take a chance when you book flight motel and range fee six months early. 

Yes I would try to go back.

 

In our neck of the woods, shooting in the rain is standard fare. The three months of summer are: "oh wow, we don't have to bag today..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Remember, this isn't about A4 and their issue specifically @MemphisMechanic  There is no slack to cut them as they did what they had to do.

 

This is about you as a competitor only. At what point do you return, or not? For instance I knew people who landed in Houston from flying there and then learned the match was cancelled an hour later. If you'd ended up having to pay for two plane trips and two hotels and two rental cars would you return? I'm curious what each person's tipping point is.

 

 

Edited by rowdyb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends.

 

Within a day's drive, can get the time off, doesn't interfere with other plans, sure.

 

Airfare, multiple hotel days, more time off than I wanna spend, probably not.

 

If I were in contention to win my division I'd likely raise the expense/inconvenience threshold some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Remember, this isn't about A4 and their issue specifically @MemphisMechanic  There is no slack to cut them as they did what they had to do.

 

This is about you as a competitor only. At what point do you return, or not? For instance I knew people who landed in Houston from flying there and then learned the match was cancelled an hour later. If you'd ended up having to pay for two plane trips and two hotels and two rental cars would you return? I'm curious what each person's tipping point is.

 

 

No,,

The MD, or RM , should get the word out faster than that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh great, you gave me another thing to worry about. I have a slot for the Low-Cap revolver nats in November and this will be my first "traveling across the country" match. My previous long distance has been a four hour drive and an overnight in a flea-bag motel. I'm already stressing about flying with guns and ammo, being in a state my CCL isn't good, and how much do I spend on a back-up gun. Now what are the contingency plans if the match gets postponed? I guess the other factor for me is if I could get the time off work, but if I could swing it, yes I'd return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, I would if the new time works.  Unfortunately, for me personally, my weekends are 100% full (not just shooting schedule) until 2020 Area 4 Championship. 

 

Not specifically for Area 4, I wonder in general for major matches encountering inclement weather/natural conditions that are out of control of the organizers, would it make sense to ask for shooters help to put the stages back together or clean up the range, just to keep the original schedule?   I am curious if someone put out a vote say, keep the original shooting schedule but you need to arrive 2 hours earlier to help with cleanup/setup, or cancel your flights/hotels/vacations and go back home, what the percentages would look like. 

 

I personally might be willing to arrive 2 hours early and help out, but again if there are situations that cannot be helped, I fully understand the match needs to be canceled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is such a rare occasion we don't have much precedence for it at majors. Locals sure, but not many level 2 or bigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I wound up in this situation, I would expect to hear from the MD concerning the details of this decision and more importantly, what they would do if confronted with the possibility of weather issues. If they learned they made a mistake by waiting too long, I think I would consider going again. If there was no explanation given, I would never go to a match run by that MD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather happens. I feel most match directors really want  to have a match and will put off canceling off as long as possible, sometimes maybe  too long. But as competitors, when we sign up for a match months in advance we have to be responsible for the gamble we are taking, too.   So, yes i would generally go back to a match that was cancelled because of unforseen circumstances. That of course assumes my schedule would allow it. 

 

If the match was cancelled for something that the md had controll over like not enough help, etc., then no, i wouldn't go back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For once I find myself agreeing with @RJH hahahha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Extreme weather happened Wednesday, between the wind & rain the range pretty much got destroyed. We shoot there pretty regular and this range is maintained and drains well normally. I think it was as bad or worse than hurricane Harvey. Shooter safety is utmost concern. 

 

gerritm

area59.jpg

Edited by gerritm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go back if my schedule allows for it.  In this case, I scheduled a lot around the match.  So, I may not have a lot of availability.  Hopefully, they can recover and get a new date posted soon.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"It depends"

 

It does make me reassess how I would pay for travel/lodging for matches that are farther away if I chose to go that far. Most airlines with cheap flights might not be refundable but many will give you a credit and let you rebook for minimal fees. Hotels usually let you cancel with full refund up to 24 hours in advance. 

 

For me, it is the time off work and away from family and conflicts with things already scheduled that I worry most about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing that would deter me from attending the follow-up match would be funds.

The weather isn't their fault. If I could afford to invest the additional funds, I would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't think the water is the reason they canceled the match. 

They worked really hard whole day yesterday to clean out the water/mud, but I believe it was later in the day a small tornado that stopped by the range blowing away equipments and carports, etc. that was the last straw.   

Edited by Dazhi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

a small tornado t

where i live in San Antonio we had the same thing at 3pm yesterday. multiple houses in my neighbor hood had their garage doors blown off, doors to houses blown off, tons of shingles gone, cars smashed by fallen trees, fences smashed by fallen trees.  it went from totally clear to chaos and then done in 2 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

I don't think the water is the reason they canceled the match. 

They worked really hard whole day yesterday to clean out the water/mud, but I believe it was later in the day a small tornado that stopped by the range blowing away equipments and carports, etc. that was the last straw.   

I heard about that it supposedly tipped the tractor over. They had a couple of rough days and I know they worked hard to try and keep the match going.

 

gerritm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

A4 was cancelled Thursday evening due to an accumulation of weather issues. So just generally, not A4 specific, if you'd planned to attend a match that required at a minimum of one hotel night would you go back to the match when it was rescheduled or would you just write it off? What criteria would you use to make your decision?

 

Please, let's not make this about A4's decision. About what you would do as a competitor.


This really depends on the circumstances why the match was cancelled. There have been matches that cancelled due to low turnout a few months in advance and matches that cancelled due to hurricanes etc. Let's not forget when USPSA decided to have Hurricane Nationals and how that turned out. 

If the match cancels 2 hours after surveying the damage of a tornado that's no worries. I hope the range can be repaired and let me know when the rescheduled match will be held. If I can make it I'll make it and if not I'll take a refund. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go back.

 

No one's fault - weather is weather.

 

I'd be appreciative that they cancelled the match so I didn't have to

live in a swamp for eight hours.    :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...