Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

grip tape

chetc

i purchased a some so called grip tape a few try ago, it has a rubberized textured finish, it is not aggressive enough, any other ideas that are wort a try, something abrasive would be better, i never tried skateboard tape, i am not sure it has much flex for a handgun.

thanks

chet

Jessup or Black Diamond grip tape should do the trick. You can also get a roll of 3m safety grip tape it's a bit more aggressive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Been running the Talon Grips granulated on mine  with success. 

They have held up for the most part to nightly dry firing (Steve Anderson drills 1-12) and 2 matches a month since last November 

just have to make sure the frame is absolutely cleaned and cleaned again  and a good hair dryer/heat gun to set it once it’s on.  

The small strips that go across the front-strap have been removed due to some migration and the thought that the factory nubs work better for me which I have found to be the case. 

Will probably replace in a month or so and use the new one as a template and see what the Lowe’s has to offer.

I had considered silicon carbide but use my 34 in GSSF stock division as well, I may be going a Gen5 for Production and that would get the SiCarb treatment with the current Gen4 relegated to GSSF only. 

Used to use Skate tape on my 1911 frontstrap and a small bit to pin the grip safety back in the 90s when we all ran 1911s

3F2E1D64-D476-46E2-ACD3-A630AC2BFE9F.jpeg

Edited by Amerflyer48
Added G34 picture

Find a local skate shop near you and buy some of the skate tape. I use a hair dryer to heat up the tape before you put it on, it helps with making the

tape easier to install. For about $5 you can get enough to make about 10 to 15 grips.

Yup, heat will help the grip tape conform to the uneven surface of the pistol grip.  Keep in mind that skateboards aren't entirely flat, either. 😋

If the curve is somewhat extreme, you can cut little triangles out of the tape to help it fit without wrinkles.

I've had issues with many grip tapes moving when exposed to heat (sun, sweaty hands, etc) because the glue softens.  If/when this happens, I use some IC-2000 rubber-toughened cyanoacrylate (superglue) around the edges.  I've never had grip tape move after applying the IC-2000 and also use it to prevent the grip sleeves that I make from shifting after they have cooled.

i like Talon and my heat gun.

that said, i only bought one, saved the backign sheet and used it as a template for skateboard tape i bought later.

the 3m floor tape from home depot i can wear out in a month.

Sounds like I need to upgrade to skate tape instead of the 3M floor tape I’ve been using. Mine wears out fairly quickly, especially with dry fire. 

Of course, on my primary gun I got tired of reapplying it so I just had a friend do a silicon carbide / epoxy grip job. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 7:09 PM, DKorn said:

Sounds like I need to upgrade to skate tape instead of the 3M floor tape I’ve been using. Mine wears out fairly quickly, especially with dry fire. 

Of course, on my primary gun I got tired of reapplying it so I just had a friend do a silicon carbide / epoxy grip job. 

I switched from 3m to skate tape because 3m sheds material. Skate tape I better in just about every way and the same price 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, DKorn said:

After doing my P10F in silicon carbide, I will do every gun I compete with from now on. If I could do it on my Shadow 2 and be 100% sure it wouldn't increase the weight over 45oz, Id have it on there no question.

11 minutes ago, Trevor300wsm said:

After doing my P10F in silicon carbide, I will do every gun I compete with from now on. If I could do it on my Shadow 2 and be 100% sure it wouldn't increase the weight over 45oz, Id have it on there no question.

Are you going to do the entire grip area or just the panels?

If you were just going to do the panels, I would think that you could stay under the weight using the lightest grips you could find in the profile you want, possibly removing some material from the “inside” of the grip, and then costing the panels in epoxy / silicon carbide. And if it doesn’t work and takes you over the weight limit, you’re only out a set of grips so not a huge deal.