Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA ok, SA not so much

Bench

The 92FS came out of the safe today for it's opening day of the season. In ~200 rounds there were too many issues with the hammer going to half cock after DA trigger pull.

1.) Where should I be looking to get this bug out of the way?

2.)In addition there were a few light primer strikes but that was "fixed" by a DA trigger pull (just gotta love that second chance!).

3.)Then there is the issue of my thumb riding the slide lock but that will come with more time at the range and also dry fire.

Assuming the gun it more or less stock, I am thinking ammo.  I don't have a beretta in front of me, but with other DA/SA guns i have had i know that the hammer comes back further and hits harder on the SA stroke, so it you are having to hit rounds twice, it makes me think high primers.  Also it the hammer is only getting to half cock, i would think maybe under powered ammo is not driving the slide back all the way to get the hammer to full cock.  Again i am not looking at a 92 right now just going from memory, so i could be way off.  What ammo are you using and is the gun stock?

9 hours ago, RJH said:

Assuming the gun it more or less stock, I am thinking ammo.  I don't have a beretta in front of me, but with other DA/SA guns i have had i know that the hammer comes back further and hits harder on the SA stroke, so it you are having to hit rounds twice, it makes me think high primers.  Also it the hammer is only getting to half cock, i would think maybe under powered ammo is not driving the slide back all the way to get the hammer to full cock.  Again i am not looking at a 92 right now just going from memory, so i could be way off.  What ammo are you using and is the gun stock?

Thanks RJH! I've taken the gun a couple of notches up from stock with springs and polishing but nothing outrageous . Regarding light primer strikes it was with some odds and ends that I had laying around from here and there which I should have been leery of any way. Last year when I did the full tear down and clean before the winter hibernation I may have installed the sear spring in the wrong orientation. A known issue with 92's that I had forgotten over the winter. With that change and using my own, known ammo I'm probably good. Next time out at the range  will be the proof.

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Agree.    Easy to check the ammo first.

High primers and velocity (PF) are number 1 on the agenda.

Thanks HP Jack! It'll be interesting to see what the chrono has to say on my own, known ammo.