Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 locks back with 1 round still in the mag.

I have a 2011 (.40) with STI Mags and the gun locks back 100% of the time with 1 round remaining in the mag. It doesn’t matter if it is factory ammo, reloads, truncated cone or otherwise, I can’t get the gun to keep from locking back with 1 left in the magazine. 

Any my experience or suggestions how to fix this issue? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by LandoCommando69

54 minutes ago, LandoCommando69 said:

I have a 2011 (.40) with STI Mags and the gun locks back 100% of the time with 1 round remaining in the mag. It doesn’t matter if it is factory ammo, reloads, truncated cone or otherwise, I can’t get the gun to keep from locking back with 1 left in the magazine. 

Any my experience or suggestions how to fix this issue? 

Thanks in advance! 

This is why we generally disable slidelock capability on 2011’s

STI Factory mags have followers that were generally designed around the .45 acp round. As a result, the .40 round diameter is too small and allows the follower to engage the slide stop prematurely with 1 round left. If you don’t want the slide to lock back, you’ll need to change followers or file the slide stop pawl down. Hope that helps. 

What is a lock back ? Really if you are there you messed up,,
HOWEVER,, take top end off gun,  put slide stop in frame,,, insert a loaded mag,,, look down,, WHAT is pusing up your slide stop ?  the last round or the follower ? Now you can either dress the followers if needed, or dress the slide stop,, Generally Idress the slide stop to clear the rounds. as mentioned if I am empty,, stage is probably FUBAR'ed

It will not be the top round that engages the slide stop.  It will be the protrusion on the front left of the follower.  It the follower is angled up enough to feed properly, that protrusion is too high.  You can do one of two thing, other than ruining your slide stop.  First, if you want slide lock on empty. file the top of the protrusion.  You want to file it parallel to the barrel.  Take off a little at a time and test.  Your second option is to remove it entirely.  That will eliminate slide lock altogether.