Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Round to the right

Tripod

From the load and make ready the first round in my open 9major pistol is always a few inches to the right (10 yds).   At 30 yards its off the target.  All rounds after are at point of aim.  Even in practice with no pressure being under the timer.    Thought it might be the Aftec Extractor so change to EGW extractor but made no difference.    Thought it might be hitting comp so enlarged bore still no difference.  Tried different magazines, no change.  Gave gun to two different shooter and they duplicated same results.  First shot  to the right from load make ready all the rest are point of aim.   Chacked chamber depth with No Go gauge all is good.     Load is 115 gr HAP with 8.8 gr HS6    Tried some 124gr Everglades Ammo 9major and had some problem

So what should I check now? 

If three of you have the same results, I'd guess it's the gun.

Are you loading the first round by pulling the slide back all the way

and then releasing it ?

Did you load the gun for your two buddies ?   Or, did they load them, themselves ?

If it is not shooter error, I suspect it is how the barrel is locking up on the initial loading. On a poorly fitted barrel, slingshotting or slidestop releasing, can result on the barrel locking up differently than it does during live fire cycling. I would look at the barrel fitting as your cause.

Had exactly the same thing with a factory STI Trubor.  Confirmed multiple times. Measured the barrel hood and it was undersized to the breech face cutout. The first manually cycled round from a mag would go right. Every subsequent round was perfectly grouped to the left. I sent it back to STI and they confirmed this and installed a new barrel. I’m guessing your barrel fit/lockup is faulty. Hope this helps.