Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pistol do you carry for self defense (vs the one you compete with)?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have...some choices  for each role, but I currently carry and compete with a STI Eagle 2011 .40. I found when I competed heavily with a different gun, I had significantly less confidence in my carry gun, despite them being quite similar. So I made them the same, although there are obvious compromises for each role. That being said, I still do carry my Commander .45 a fair amount. 
Very pleased with the Eagle. It’s been perfectly reliable for 2000+ rounds now, with a mix of factory defensive jhp, factory fmj, and long handloads. It works with every one of the 8 STI mags I’ve tried in it, no tuning necessary at all. Not too bad to carry either, although I do notice the bulkier grip. Now I need an identical backup for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

compete with STI DVC 3gun in limited/3gun, was using a sig p226 in production ( still do occasionally, mostly because ive a ton of mags for it.) for cappy optics id been using sig 320x5 or cenik tpswhatever BUT.. now that glock has the g45 out im starting to carry that and use it as my CO gun as well.. for the longest time I had a sig 938 in pocket/small holster/ centerconsole .. Id been through plenty of g19 and a g43, the swell in the grip is off for my hand and makes me cant it oddly. the longer grip on the g45 seems to work fine. ( I just never liked the idea of shooting a G34 or G17L after having some issues with a 17L)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Compete with a Honcho with a brass magwell. Weighs 50oz.

 

Carry a sig 365. 

 

Opposite ends up the spectrum. I try to do one match with the 365 a month just to do it, but the skills translate over for the most part.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lroy said:

Compete with a Honcho with a brass magwell. Weighs 50oz.

 

Carry a sig 365. 

 

Opposite ends up the spectrum. I try to do one match with the 365 a month just to do it, but the skills translate over for the most part.


aluminum or steel grip?????

 

I have a Honcho that’s three weeks out (hopefully) and just grabbed a 365xl couple weeks back so I like your style!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hawk21 said:


aluminum or steel grip?????

 

I have a Honcho that’s three weeks out (hopefully) and just grabbed a 365xl couple weeks back so I like your style!

 

Steel.  It basically shoots like a 22.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I carry a 5" 1911 in .45 ACP.

 

In all the matches I do that have it as a division, I use the same pistol, or very similar (steel v aluminum frame), and sometimes I'll shoot one of the abominable 9mm versions I also have.

 

I do plenty of other matches, though, where all the other guns get to come out and play, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been competing with a Sig P320 X5. I mostly carry a sig P365 IWB because I need it to be very discrete for work. Weekends I will sometimes carry an X-Carry or X-Compact.

 

I am switching to a Shadow 2 for competing this year for competition and now plan to find something CZ that is similar only smaller for EDC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I compete, and have carried my Tanfo Lim Pro. In both production and Carry Optics mode.
Just pulled the trigger (very punny) on a CZ P-07 with the threaded barrel.
It is my project to make the ultimate CCW gun.
Size of a 3.8” gun, but with a 4.3” barrel (likely will try a comp on it), lighter than my Lim Pro (only benefit there is comfort), and I can set it up to use the safety instead of the de-cocker (one I figure out how I’m going to build up that tiny safety).
Will eventually be adding a Holosun 507
Best part is it is nearly identical in size/shape as my Lim Pro.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites

Competition: full size pistol. 

For self-defence,  I strongly believe prevention is the best defense. So for 90% of the places I go, it is safe enough that I don't need to carry. For the remaining 10%, either G19, or G43, depending on the application.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...