Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pistol do you carry for self defense (vs the one you compete with)?

wrx04

13 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

As of today, my carry has been switched out for my backup competition gun, a G17 MOS (my 34 is my primary USPSA gun).

Why the switch, and what did you switch from?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, RJH said:

Why the switch, and what did you switch from?

My EDC was a 1911 in .45ACP.  It was carried as a defensive pistol designed to aid my personal/family escape from a violent situation if all else failed.  Moved to the G17 MOS because with recent events and copycats, carrying a pistol that would be more valuable in a combat situation to help end an active shooter incident made sense to me.  I still believe the chance of me ever needing to use deadly force is very, very small... but the likelihood that such encounter would be on a different scale is higher.  The copycats die down and I might end up switching back.

Edited by mreed911

16 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

My EDC was a 1911 in .45ACP.  It was carried as a defensive pistol designed to aid my personal/family escape from a violent situation if all else failed.  Moved to the G17 MOS because with recent events and copycats, carrying a pistol that would be more valuable in a combat situation to help end an active shooter incident made sense to me.  I still believe the chance of me ever needing to use deadly force is very, very small... but the likelihood that such encounter would be on a different scale is higher.  The copycats die down and I might end up switching back.

Gotcha

I have competed with several different weapons through the years - race guns to stock guns. I carry a Glock 23 most of the time. I might be switching to a Glock 19 one day though. Reason for carrying the Glock and not a single action gun (one like I compete with) has a lot to do with the Glock having less levers, internal safeties, and a heavier trigger pull. I would not be against upgrading the trigger possibly, but nothing too aggressive. I just have never owned a competition gun that I thought would make a great defensive carry pistol.

Competition guns = STI 2011's, 1911's and occasionally an M&P core in C/O.

EDC = Dan Wesson Bobtail 1911

Until recently, I based my choice of CCW on the fact that I shoot 1911 platforms frequently and thought the familiarity with the grip and trigger feel would provide an advantage if/when necessary. But considerations for weight and ease of concealment have recently given way to a new Glock 43X (I was never a Glock fan due to ergonomics until this new one came out with the redefined grip). So many variables to consider in choosing a EDC/CCW; capacity, size, weight, concealability and accuracy (no particular order - just noting the big decision drivers). In contrast, most of our collective competition focus centers around capacity and accuracy which are largely influenced by the rules of the game and or the division you choose. So, to the OP's original points of curiosity regarding correlations between your comp and carry platforms, I'd offer that the intended use will drive the choice as much or more than platform or brand loyalty. Bottom line, whatever your choice for CCW, practice with it regularly and develop your skills just like you intend to shoot all Alphas.... Your game will improve as a result.

Maybe a little different than some as I carried a S&W 659 then a S&W 645 for 20 plus years on duty so that's a system I have a lot of comfort with if things go bad. My current carry is hammer fired, but just a decocker no safety, that way it's just draw and fire but still double action on the first round.

Carry:  FHN FNP 40

Compete: Sig P320 X5 with a Vortex Razor and tricked out with GG Comp trigger, GG Fat Guide Rod w/1911 springs.

I do shoot the FNP in production about every other month

The X5 is the first and only at this time striker fired gun I own.

This topic may be outside of the usual rhetoric here, but I’m interested in the responses.  I typically respect the posters here as “shooters”.  The forum is focused on the skills required to handle a pistol with speed, efficiency, and accuracy within the rules of a given game.  Most guys here are more skilled and have a great deal more rounds on their guns than other sites, IMO.  Tactics are not often discussed outside the “rules”.

What do you guys carry?  Do you run a heavy Infinity double stack in limited but carry a 642 stubby? Do you CCW at all?  Do you consider running a specific platform because it’s what you carry, or is that an afterthought?

I have conflicting views on this, and would like to hear some opinions.  Thanks.

I carry a G19 Gen4 8ed6952341190c4692f626ab1c955898.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compete with a Shadow 2 in Production and Springfield 1911 in SS.  EDC is a 9 mm Springfield XD sub compact, nightstand gun is a G22.  My thought process on the EDC and nightstand gun is to make it a simple, striker fired platform, nothing complicated for life and death situations. 

On 8/17/2019 at 6:59 PM, PatJones said:
On 8/15/2019 at 6:17 PM, 750Vic_Fi said:

I carry a G19 Gen4 8ed6952341190c4692f626ab1c955898.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you appendix carry that thing too?

I appendix carry a G19 set up similarly (but without the light or flashy colors); it works very well. I can imagine the light may add a little discomfort at times. 

I've always shot CZs and Tanfos. I usually carry a Grand Power p11 Mk12 when I can wear a cover garment. It's just a good in between size yet shoots like a larger gun, with 13 rounds at the ready. Walther PPS M2 when it's super hot and just in a t-shirt. Winter-time and have a coat, a CZ PCR with a 16 round mag+ sp-01 basepad.

I carry a SW shield that I absolutely love. 

I started reloading about 4 years ago and I started out loading 9mm. So needless to say I had a lot of cheap range ammo to run thru that gun and it’s never malfunctioned!  There’s been times where I’ve played with the loads and not put enough powder in the case so it didn’t cycle all the way but that’s me and not the gun. 

I compete in limited so it’s the exact opposite of that I carry but I love that little gun. I don’t know how many rounds I’ve put thru it but it’s well into the thousands for sure! 

Edited by nikdanja