Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Venom Compatibility with P320 X5

BelRiose

I recently got a 3 MOA Vortex Venom at a price way too good to pass up. I've never had an MRDS, but I'm toying with the idea of setting my up my P320 X5 up for CO. What solutions exist for marrying the Venom with the X5? So far the only thing I've been able to find is a Springer Precision baseplate, but some other forums mention that it may be possible to mount it directly to the slide. What mounting solutions are out there, and what works best?

Hello: I am using a Springer adapter plate for my Holosun 507C. It fits very well so far and seems to work with no fitting required. It puts the dot in about the same place as the Romeo 1 that I had on it. More testing to come this week. Thanks, Eric

Looks like the Springer adapter is the way to go, then. I was tempted to try to file the back edge of the optic cut, because it almost fits, but I guess it would be dumb to do something irreversible when I can spend 50 bucks and have a better solution. 

Not to hijack any part of the thread but those of you who want a DPP or an RMR without an adapter plate, send it out to L&M Precision Gunworks https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/product-category/red-dot-optics/

My X5 slide comes back today, I'll post photos assembled when it's all together.

Otherwise, for Vortex I'd say Springer is the way to go as the Venom matches a Burris FastFire mount. Or just go Romeo 1 for the least invasive method possible.

I ended up getting the Springer Plate and putting it on last night. After some slight modifications to my RHT holster, it looks like I'm good to go. I'm planning to sight it in this weekend and hopefully see what all the fuss is about dots on pistols.

Follow-on question, does anyone know whether it's possible to buy an X5 (or any full-size 320) slide by itself? I'd like to keep one around with the original sights on it for convenience in case I get the urge to shoot Production or a 3 Gun division that doesn't allow dots. I know I can always pull off the Springer adapter and reinstall the sights, but it would be nice if I could just swap slides.

31 minutes ago, BelRiose said:

Follow-on question, does anyone know whether it's possible to buy an X5 (or any full-size 320) slide by itself? I'd like to keep one around with the original sights on it for convenience in case I get the urge to shoot Production or a 3 Gun division that doesn't allow dots. I know I can always pull off the Springer adapter and reinstall the sights, but it would be nice if I could just swap slides.

They're all over gun broker and I think even ebay; only problem is they cost almost as much as the gun, well $500+ because they're usually completely uppers, not stripped.

32 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

They're all over gun broker and I think even ebay; only problem is they cost almost as much as the gun, well $500+ because they're usually completely uppers, not stripped.

Yep

I've seen a few slides but don't remember the prices.

21 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Look on Sigs website or give them a call about the X5 slide. Thanks, Eric

Thanks, Eric. I think calling is my next step. 

Unless I'm missing something with my searches, I don't think there's an X5 slide available on the website.

14 hours ago, BelRiose said:

Thanks, Eric. I think calling is my next step. 

Unless I'm missing something with my searches, I don't think there's an X5 slide available on the website.

Some things you have to call them direct; like I want a magwell for my X5 and it isn't on the website alone but I managed to e-mail Sig and they said they can sell me one over the phone.

The more I look into it, the weirder it seems. The gun is advertised as a mix-n-match lego gun (maybe slightly exaggerated). However, you can't actually buy very many of the components separately, and those that you can are weirdly expensive. Caliber X-Change kits are only about $100 dollars less than the full gun. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 8:08 PM, BelRiose said:

The more I look into it, the weirder it seems. .... Caliber X-Change kits are only about $100 dollars less than the full gun. 

True, but for people who live in places with restrictions on what you can own / how many you can own / how many guns can guy in a specific period of time the X-change kits could be a great answer as they are not classified as a firearm... Blaser has been doing this with their rifles and that is part of why they have had the success they have.....

That said, for folks in places with none of those restrictions, your observations are spot on....

• 1 month later...

I’ve finally managed to spend some time at the range with my X5 w/Springer Precision plate and Vortex Venom, and I’m generally liking it except that my slide doesn’t lock to the rear on an empty mag consistently anymore. I’m still running the factory springs, and I suspect the fix is to go with a lighter one, however I thought I’d see if anyone here has experienced similar issues before I go that route.