Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ready to order Dillon XL650. Anything I need to know?

Yeah, I guess it depends on where you're starting from. I just went to the Dillon site and went through the customize option to order a 650 the way I bought it. It comes to $955.80 with case feeder, 4 primer tubes and spare parts bag. Which my local dealer got for me at $810 delivered. If you're starting from scratch, it would come to quite a bit more, of course. The 1050 is $1881 and comes with the case feeder and a set of dies, which is nice. You'd need to add dies and a roller handle to the 650 price to get them to about the same starting point, so $1020.80 with those included, but deleting the spare parts bag and extra primer tubes. So looking at about $850 retail price difference. I could see making that jump if you really load a lot. I'm doing about 15K a year right now, so the 650 is more than adequate for me.

With either, if you're starting from scratch, you'd still have to spend the same money for scales, primer flipper trays, bullet extractors, case gauges, extra primer tubes, case cleaner, etc, etc. And all of that stuff does add up fast. The $1300 price for the 650 kit would include some of those things, but the $1900 price for the 1050 does not.

Edited by jejb

If its not too late I just ordered one here. They have a $100 gift card if you buy it. I ordered the 13th and will have it on the 17th.

they dont have a ton of dillon stuff but they have enough. Monday when it comes in ill use it to order case feeder.

They only have it in a few calibers 9,45, 223

https://www.scheels.com/p/dillon-xl-650-reloading-press/4235-16926.html?cgid=all#start=7

Then for the rest.

I ordered from ebay I ordered this upgrade kit https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-Grand-Slam-Performance-Improvements-Kit/223073346537?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=521887507826&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649.

I also ordered spent primer drop tube from ebay

And I ordered from grafs.com strongmount, roller handle, bullet tray, and spare parts kit. came out $5-10 cheeper than Dillon

Hope you enjoy your new loader! I sure like my 650.

As far as the kit, for me personally, the only thing I'd need out of it would be the primer stop. I've loaded 15K rounds through mine in a year now, and have no issues with any of those other items, and don't expect to. I'd for sure recommend the UFO light, though. It is also on ebay.

Im very excited Ive been loading on the 550 for 14 years and every time I get up the nerve Id think I can do it on the 550 so why upgrade. Ive been shooting more pistol and AR though and with an almost 2 year old time is short for reloading.

I ended up with the inline starlight led, I was between the 2 and I really liked Inlines primer tube rack

On 6/9/2019 at 5:01 AM, DubfromGA said:

Since I'm new to progressive presses, I went ahead and added the Dillon 650 DVD to the orders.   I've already watched most of it and think it was $20 well spent.  Really thorough  and strait forward.  

I ordered that DVD also but found WTF SoCal had a 6 or 7 part series on YouTube that I liked even more. I highly recommend you check it out. I was pretty intimidated at first and his series along with the DVD really helped me. Best of luck!

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:14 AM, Falloutboy89 said:

I ordered that DVD also but found WTF SoCal had a 6 or 7 part series on YouTube that I liked even more. I highly recommend you check it out. I was pretty intimidated at first and his series along with the DVD really helped me. Best of luck!

Outstanding.

Thanks for the info on WTF SoCal.   I'm stuck at work tonight....but just found them on my cellphone and will que them up later on.

Appreciate that info !!!!

I'm hoping to have my bench in place Monday and my press on it by Monday afternoon.    Depends on how much time I spend at the range Monday morning. 😎

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:49 PM, m700 said:

If its not too late I just ordered one here. They have a $100 gift card if you buy it. I ordered the 13th and will have it on the 17th.

they dont have a ton of dillon stuff but they have enough. Monday when it comes in ill use it to order case feeder.

They only have it in a few calibers 9,45, 223

https://www.scheels.com/p/dillon-xl-650-reloading-press/4235-16926.html?cgid=all#start=7

They have the case feeder for sale at the best price I've seen it.

Thanks for the link.  I've never shopped at Sheel's but it looks like I should have.  

They have the case feeder for sale at the best price I've seen it.

Thanks for the link.  I've never shopped at Sheel's but it looks like I should have.  
I have placed 3 orders with them and everything has been great so far. No tax/no shipping.

The case feeder is without shellplate but still great price

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, m700 said:

I have placed 3 orders with them and everything has been great so far. No tax/no shipping.

The case feeder is without shellplate but still great price

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That's good to hear.

Thanks for the report.

I was going to hold off on adding the case feeder and spend the money on adding another cartridge.....but I think I'll go ahead and grab one at that price first.

As it is I'll be set up for 9mm, 45acp & 44mag for now.  That should keep me occupied nicely as I get up to speed with the press.