Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ready to order Dillon XL650. Anything I need to know?

I’m ready to order a new Dillon XL650. I’ve built it on the Dillon webpage multiple times. I’m getting pretty much everything including the casefeeder. The prices comes out to about ~$1250-$1300. I have a couple of questions. Is there anything that you’d recommend getting that isn’t listed in the step by step build process on the site? Upgraded parts from other manufacturers? Extra parts? Also, does everyone order directly thru the Dillon webpage? I’ve seen them listed other places, but it doesn’t give a good description of what is included. I’m ready to put the order in so if there is anything else I need or need to know, please post it up. I want to order it all at once and have it all done at once. I don’t like endless tinkering to make things right. 

24 minutes ago, Trevor300wsm said:

I’m ready to order a new Dillon XL650. I’ve built it on the Dillon webpage multiple times. I’m getting pretty much everything including the casefeeder. The prices comes out to about ~$1250-$1300. I have a couple of questions. Is there anything that you’d recommend getting that isn’t listed in the step by step build process on the site? Upgraded parts from other manufacturers? Extra parts? Also, does everyone order directly thru the Dillon webpage? I’ve seen them listed other places, but it doesn’t give a good description of what is included. I’m ready to put the order in so if there is anything else I need or need to know, please post it up. I want to order it all at once and have it all done at once. I don’t like endless tinkering to make things right. 

IMO Dillion presses are great and their CS is awesome but the presses need a little tinkering. 

Id still rather have a Dillion over their competitors.  

1 hour ago, Trevor300wsm said:

Check out the thread called XL650 Tips and Tricks. It’s jam packed full of good stuff. Keep an eye out for my update. I found more upgrades that look very promising.  I’m working on a post and there is a lot I’m going to add to that thread when I can.

If and when you can, add a Mr. Bullet Feeder.  Add a way to stop the primer feed, and get a 38 shell casing to stop the case feeder.  I would also add a tube to the spent primer chute that feeds into a jug of some sort.  Most of the tips and tricks items can be found on ebay or you can craft them yourself if you're handy.  I am not, and got most of my things from either ebay or a guy at my local club that made up his own.

4 hours ago, Trevor300wsm said:

My Dillion gear all arrived today..........almost......missing was the "essentials XL650 press kit".....which was the major part of the order.

[url=https://imgur.com/gBTLkuu][img]http://i.imgur.com/gBTLkuu.jpg[/img][/url]

I placed the order last week...online.      I then called in to make sure everything looked good.

The person I spoke with reviewed everything and said it ll looked good and would ship that day.

Tracking info was emailed to me later in the day.  All appeared to be good.

I checked in with them to find out what was going on and was told the  D-Terminator digital scale is part of the press kit.....and it's on backorder, thusly, the entire kit is on backorder.

At no time did anyone mention this....during the phone call or the initial "chat" feature online.  The press kit didn't show as "on backorder" when I ordered it.

Sorta aggravating when I have travel plans and don't won't my press kit sitting by the front door.  They couldn't tell me when it would ship....only that the D-Terminator scale was "past due" and maybe it'll ship this week......or maybe next week.

I've been very polite and courteous throughout this, yet the person I spoke to on the phone was short, clipped and rude.  At no time was there any attempt to provide additional detail or even so much as an apology.  

I've heard of the legendary customer service that Dillon offers......but I've got to say that my experience thus far hasn't been so hot.  

Hopefully this will be my only snag with the experience.

I mention this to save you and other buyers the headache of not being made aware of unknown potential delays.  I wish I'd known and could have had my stuff shipped to another address.

Edited by DubfromGA

2 hours ago, DubfromGA said:

My Dillion gear all arrived today..........almost......missing was the "essentials XL650 press kit".....which was the major part of the order.

[url=https://imgur.com/gBTLkuu][img]http://i.imgur.com/gBTLkuu.jpg[/img][/url]

I placed the order last week...online.      I then called in to make sure everything looked good.

The person I spoke with reviewed everything and said it ll looked good and would ship that day.

Tracking info was emailed to me later in the day.  All appeared to be good.

I checked in with them to find out what was going on and was told the  D-Terminator digital scale is part of the press kit.....and it's on backorder, thusly, the entire kit is on backorder.

At no time did anyone mention this....during the phone call or the initial "chat" feature online.  The press kit didn't show as "on backorder" when I ordered it.

Sorta aggravating when I have travel plans and don't won't my press kit sitting by the front door.  They couldn't tell me when it would ship....only that the D-Terminator scale was "past due" and maybe it'll ship this week......or maybe next week.

I've been very polite and courteous throughout this, yet the person I spoke to on the phone was short, clipped and rude.  At no time was there any attempt to provide additional detail or even so much as an apology.  

I've heard of the legendary customer service that Dillon offers......but I've got to say that my experience thus far hasn't been so hot.  

Hopefully this will be my only snag with the experience.

I mention this to save you and other buyers the headache of not being made aware of unknown potential delays.  I wish I'd known and could have had my stuff shipped to another address.

I appreciate the info. Hate to hear that you have had a bad experience with them. Hopefully they get it all straightened out. 

36 minutes ago, Trevor300wsm said:

I appreciate the info. Hate to hear that you have had a bad experience with them. Hopefully they get it all straightened out. 

Thanks.

Just didn't want anyone else to get caught off guard like I did with unexpected delays.

I'm sure things will get sorted out and I'll become one of those hardcore Dillon advocates after a while.

Edited by DubfromGA

17 hours ago, Trevor300wsm said:

Can you list what all you're buying? That's a lot more than I paid for mine a year ago, but I was already into reloading, so had scales, dies, etc. I got mine from a local gun shop that was a Dillon dealer and got a substantial discount from them. It was the first thing I'd ever bought from them, so it was not because I had any special relationship with them.

I'd highly recommend getting the UFO led light. Micrometer dial for the powder feed saves a lot of time if you change loads/powders very often. I really like the RCBS dies because they seat and crimp in one station rather than taking up 2 stations for that like Dillon dies do. That gives you extra stations for both a powder checker and a bullet feeder, as you add those things down the road.

IMO, the most aggravating thing about the Dillon 650 is that ridiculous primer ski jump. It flat doesn't work and launches what are essentially mini cherry bombs into the wild blue yonder. I have this sealed plastic container I bought where all the missed primers drop into, can't think of where I bought it.

One recommendation: Keep all the new-machine stats you can think of, so you'll know when it starts to screw up. (And it will.) Right off the bat, that means recording ten-throw average and standard deviations for powder weight AND COL. I kept stats for powder weight but NOT COL and the machine started screwing up and I didn't catch it until it was producing really out-of-spec bullets. Now I've got to take it apart and try and figure out what the hell is going on.

Which brings to my second peeve. Excuse the rant.

The Dillon "manual" they give you isn't even close to good enough and the lack of proper documentation is costing Dillon TONS of money, IMO. It needs to be more like 120 pages, not 60 pages. Man, that "manual" SERIOUSLY needs a maintenance schedule. (Want to sell LOTS and LOTS of machines? Make it as easy to use as you possibly can. Dillon has NOT done this, although the how-to videos that have started popping up on the Dillon site shows they have gradually started becoming aware of this.)

My personal additions to the Dillon manual:

----CHECK AND TIGHTEN EVERY SINGLE BOLT AND SCREW ON THE DAMN THING BEFORE EVERY SESSION. Make a checklist and go through it every time. The Strong Mount bolts, top and bottom. The primer system screws. The screws that hold the powder funnel on the powder die. The screws that holds that thingy on  the side the plastic triangle hits to make the shell plate rotate. (That thingy controls timing and is MUCH more important than it looks.) Not to mention the die lock rings. I have seen EVERY SINGLE ONE of these bolts/screws/lock rings be loose at one time or the other. The Strong Mount bolts were a sterling lesson. I was having high primers for a mysterious reason and eventually tracked it to the Strong Mount bolts---but they didn't FEEL loose, not by hand. But I put the wrench on them and it was immediately obvious they were loose. A little tightening and poof, no more high primers.

I've even gotten to where I will check the primer punch is tight, which requires substantial maneuvering to get to.

----CLEAN THE DIES THOROUGHLY AFTER EVERY SESSION. There's a reason those dies were made so easy to clean. Pull the pins, drop them out and wipe them down with rubbing alcohol. PARTICULARLY THE POWDER DIE. Disassemble and clean the powder bar with isopropyl alcohol after every session. Don't forget the powder funnel. The problem is case lube WILL accumulate on the powder funnel and powder will start sticking and causing variance in powder weights and it will drop powder ALL over the shell plate. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Get the spare parts kit and replace parts as you use them.

Do develop a routine for starting and finishing a reloading session. It doesn't take very long. Check that dies and shell plate are tight, fail safe rod is tight enough, primer assembly is tight, etc. Check the powder drop to be sure it's throwing correctly before you start loading.  I also check COL on the first few round out. I air spray the unit when done. If you use a shop vac, don't suck the position tabs out. If there's a problem, the solution is usually to clean, lube, and tune. Or just ask here. I don't think there are many Dillon problems that haven't been solved on this forum.

I keep stats on my bullets and brass when I get a new batch. I find it helps for troubleshooting.

8 hours ago, ChemistShooter said:

IMO, the most aggravating thing about the Dillon 650 is that ridiculous primer ski jump. It flat doesn't work and launches what are essentially mini cherry bombs into the wild blue yonder. I have this sealed plastic container I bought where all the missed primers drop into, can't think of where I bought it.

One recommendation: Keep all the new-machine stats you can think of, so you'll know when it starts to screw up. (And it will.) Right off the bat, that means recording ten-throw average and standard deviations for powder weight AND COL. I kept stats for powder weight but NOT COL and the machine started screwing up and I didn't catch it until it was producing really out-of-spec bullets. Now I've got to take it apart and try and figure out what the hell is going on.

Which brings to my second peeve. Excuse the rant.

The Dillon "manual" they give you isn't even close to good enough and the lack of proper documentation is costing Dillon TONS of money, IMO. It needs to be more like 120 pages, not 60 pages. Man, that "manual" SERIOUSLY needs a maintenance schedule. (Want to sell LOTS and LOTS of machines? Make it as easy to use as you possibly can. Dillon has NOT done this, although the how-to videos that have started popping up on the Dillon site shows they have gradually started becoming aware of this.)

My personal additions to the Dillon manual:

----CHECK AND TIGHTEN EVERY SINGLE BOLT AND SCREW ON THE DAMN THING BEFORE EVERY SESSION. Make a checklist and go through it every time. The Strong Mount bolts, top and bottom. The primer system screws. The screws that hold the powder funnel on the powder die. The screws that holds that thingy on  the side the plastic triangle hits to make the shell plate rotate. (That thingy controls timing and is MUCH more important than it looks.) Not to mention the die lock rings. I have seen EVERY SINGLE ONE of these bolts/screws/lock rings be loose at one time or the other. The Strong Mount bolts were a sterling lesson. I was having high primers for a mysterious reason and eventually tracked it to the Strong Mount bolts---but they didn't FEEL loose, not by hand. But I put the wrench on them and it was immediately obvious they were loose. A little tightening and poof, no more high primers.

I've even gotten to where I will check the primer punch is tight, which requires substantial maneuvering to get to.

----CLEAN THE DIES THOROUGHLY AFTER EVERY SESSION. There's a reason those dies were made so easy to clean. Pull the pins, drop them out and wipe them down with rubbing alcohol. PARTICULARLY THE POWDER DIE. Disassemble and clean the powder bar with isopropyl alcohol after every session. Don't forget the powder funnel. The problem is case lube WILL accumulate on the powder funnel and powder will start sticking and causing variance in powder weights and it will drop powder ALL over the shell plate. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Holy crap, dude! I don't do any of that stuff, and my XL650 just runs and runs. I have put over 15K rounds through it since buying it new not quite a year ago. Yeah, I had to learn some stuff at the beginning about proper setup and a maint schedule. But day to day reloading never finds me checking any parts for tightness or tolerance. I've never had a die nut loose, the COL change, powder drop come loose on top of the die, I have never cleaned my dies, etc. Crazy that you have all those issues. I don't use a strong mount, I use RCBS dies (with Dillon lock nuts) and don't lube my cases beyond the little bit of lube/wax I add to the dry media I tumble them in. In my configuration at least, the XL650 is just a trouble free operation.

Edited by jejb

I did have issues with my dies coming loose on the 650, and I cranked those things down tight.  The only other issue that drove me nuts was getting upside down primers occasionally.  

Had this same problem. High primers, primers upside-down and sideways. Called Dillon. They sent me a thing called a primer alignment tool. This is where I discovered how important that thingy on the side was. It had slipped oh-so-slightly off to one side, and the brass was NOT in EXACTLY the right position when the primer came up. Did the primer alignment procedure. Poof, suddenly all the primers were perfect, in fact better than it had been brand-new.

Don't get me wrong; I love my 650 all to death. It's just not properly documented.

I had that issue at first, too. But a call to Dillon got it adjusted while I was on the phone, and it's been golden ever since. I get a few issues dialing it in, and agree it'd be nice if the manual noted more troubleshooting tips. But it sounds like you have a lot of ongoing issues with all of the things you check each time you reload. If that is the case, I'd suggest calling Dillon. I've heard of them even replacing entire presses if there are a lot of issues with it.

On 6/5/2019 at 2:12 PM, Trevor300wsm said:

Howdy, man.

Checking in again.

I called Dillon today to check on the press kit I ordered in late May.

I was told today that the earliest I'll see it will be in July.

The scale that's in the kit is held up in customs.  They could do no substitutions because their inventory system won't allow it.

Beware if you order any type of kit that also includes the D-Terminator scale.   Don't do like I did and place the order online......call them as you are doing so and make sure you know what is going to ship and what isn't.   I called them later in the morning after I made the order and was told it was all going out that day.  Maybe the scale shortage just hit....I don't know.

I'd hate for you to be as frustrated as I am about this deal.

Spent $1,000 on a press kit in May....and then later on have to call repeatedly to find out where it is and be told that it won't get to you until July ????

Never shown or told it was on backorder......never even the hint of an apology from the people I spoke to....just clipped replies that had to be dug out of them.

Im as easy going as it gets and part of my job is being huge on customer satisfaction.    Their reputation was one of the deciding factors to go with Dillon vs other companies.    This initial experience has been lacking tremendously.

I wonder what other industry would leave you in the dark on $1,000 item.

Rant over, lol.

EDIT:    Wanted to come back and update.   In a followup that I initiated I spoke with Dillon again and was forwarded to someone with a much better demeanor and who was extremely helpful and informative.   

He offered to cancel out the order for the "essentials press kit" and then do another order by line item and delete the backordered scale.   It's what I was hoping to have done once I discovered things were not shipping as planned.....just had to find someone who was empowered to do so.

Hopefully I'll be up and running soon. 

A lot of hassle for something that could have been avoided with a modern inventory system and facts known to all their sales staff.  According the guy who ultimately helped me out, the scales have been on backorder for a month.  Surely I"m not the first person in a month to have to go through this.  

I hate when folks whine and gripe and I'm certainly not wanting to be one of those people now.......but dangitman....this was one of those things that keep getting dumber by the minute and then running into a rude & lazy sales guy was not a welcome event.

Once I got into the "tech service" part of it there was a super assistance to get me to the right folks.

@Trevor300wsm all I can suggest is to call in your order and made certain that no single piece is on backorder.

Edited by DubfromGA

Lots of good discussion.  I have 1 suggestion to add.  Once you get your dies adjusted the way you want, take a sharpie & run a witness line all the way down each die onto the tool head.  Once you do this with just a quick glance you can be certain your dies are where you left them.  I stole this idea from a friend & really like it.  You can always readjust if necessary or desired.  This does NOT replace checking loaded rounds to be certain all is well but its a nice feature to have.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:11 AM, jejb said:

Can you list what all you're buying? That's a lot more than I paid for mine a year ago, but I was already into reloading, so had scales, dies, etc. I got mine from a local gun shop that was a Dillon dealer and got a substantial discount from them.

From the Dillon Web Page:

"Price, with options as shown, is $1268.05"  Includes, strong mount, case feeder, and bullet tray.

I had a 650 and walked out the dealer door (dies and all) for $1,700 (including sales tax) and then spent a bunch extra on all those "improvements"and extras (like tool heads, stands, primer tubes...). If I had to do it over I would have gone directly to the S1050, which I have now. Listed price equipped similar to the 650, "Price as shown with all customizable options is $2080.75" 

It really was worth the extra $800 if you are going to load tens of thousands of rounds of a single caliber.  The swager alone is a "god-send."

14 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

Lots of good discussion.  I have 1 suggestion to add.  Once you get your dies adjusted the way you want, take a sharpie & run a witness line all the way down each die onto the tool head.  Once you do this with just a quick glance you can be certain your dies are where you left them.  I stole this idea from a friend & really like it.  You can always readjust if necessary or desired.  This does NOT replace checking loaded rounds to be certain all is well but its a nice feature to have.

That's a great practice.Thanks for posting that 'un.

I do believe I will adopt this once I get dialed in on loads.  I'm hoping to find a single load that works well in both .45acp & 9mm that will shoot accurately in my guns.  It's going to be a cookie-cutter type situation as there are multiple guns in each.   If money wasn't a concern it would sure be nice to dedicate a toolhead & dies for each specific gun that gets the most range use.  

On 6/7/2019 at 8:55 PM, Trevor300wsm said:

I really appreciate all the info. I won’t be ordering the scale as I have 2 chargemaster scales that I use for reloading already. I will call to make sure it’s all in stock. 

You are all set.

Sorry about the griping I did.  Just didn't want someone else to find themselves in the same boat.  Their manager, Sam, worked it out quickly and has the gear en route.  I subbed out the digital scale and went with an 'old school' model balance beam type.   I had to have something as I'm starting over from scratch with this setup.

I went ahed and added another full toolhead set-up for .45acp, too.   Hoping to get dialed in on loads for both 9mm & .45acp soon.

Since I'm new to progressive presses, I went ahead and added the Dillon 650 DVD to the orders.   I've already watched most of it and think it was $20 well spent.  Really thorough  and strait forward.  

Good luck, man.    Looks like a really nice press setup.   . 

On 6/8/2019 at 5:11 PM, HesedTech said:

From the Dillon Web Page:

"Price, with options as shown, is $1268.05"  Includes, strong mount, case feeder, and bullet tray.

I had a 650 and walked out the dealer door (dies and all) for $1,700 (including sales tax) and then spent a bunch extra on all those "improvements"and extras (like tool heads, stands, primer tubes...). If I had to do it over I would have gone directly to the S1050, which I have now. Listed price equipped similar to the 650, "Price as shown with all customizable options is $2080.75" 

It really was worth the extra $800 if you are going to load tens of thousands of rounds of a single caliber.  The swager alone is a "god-send."

Dang, seems high for that. I paid my local dealer $810 for my 650 a year ago. Came with the spare parts kit, case feeder and setup for 9mm. No dies, bullet tray or strong mount, none of which I wanted or needed. I bought a few accessories from ebay like the UFO light, powder micrometer wheel, primer ramp catcher and slideable primer cutoff. But I'm still well under $1000 invested.

50 minutes ago, jejb said:

Dang, seems high for that. I paid my local dealer $810 for my 650 a year ago. Came with the spare parts kit, case feeder and setup for 9mm. No dies, bullet tray or strong mount, none of which I wanted or needed. I bought a few accessories from ebay like the UFO light, powder micrometer wheel, primer ramp catcher and slideable primer cutoff. But I'm still well under $1000 invested.

Full retail for fully equipped 650 is $1,300 (rounded up), add parts kit, primer tubes, caliber conversion kit, extra dies, roller handle, a couple of other things and sales tax (about $150) and boom.

After getting set up and running then I added all those aftermarket internet ordered items. 

For just a few $$ more I could have had a 1050. Yes conversion kits are more than twice the price.