Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which top GMs put their finger on the front of the trigger guard

RangerTrace

On 8/8/2019 at 11:20 AM, 11MM said:

I am surprised that the 2011 pastic frmae/grip manufacturers have not made a flat trigger guard that can accommidate more than one finger. I have never been a fan o f the single finger method, but if the front of the trigger was larger and two could be used, that seemsd like a lot of downward torque could be applied.

For me that doesnt really make sense... look at it from a mechanical standpoint... Your knuckles on your hand are pivot points, aka hinges, correct?  They pretty much are a hinge with some sideways movement built into the hinge.  Now youre going to take a hinge that when applied to front of trigger guard has sideways flexibility & strength & attempt to stop up & down movement....????? Which this hinge is not built to do really.  If you apply more pressure to this hinge with grip strength, youre pulling the gun sideways, correct?

Maybe if you want to use finger on front of trigger guard, you should modify & use the old revolver grip " cup & saucer" which would at least allow you to pull down on trigger guard instead of pulling sideways... just kidding but really look at your finger on the trigger guard.  Which way can you apply force?

44 minutes ago, mlmiller1 said:

Which way can you apply force?

Yep, and this is why what you're doing at your wrist, more proximal, is more important than what you're doing more distally with your fingers if you want to work in that plane/vector.

Also, I don't think she is a pistol GM. Just pcc.

Edited by rowdyb

I think you are overlooking the rotational pressure applied to those "hinges" by the wrist which allows for increased downward torque of the hand. Not saying it should be "the" grip, just curious as to why it hasn't been explored more.

because controlling the frame of the gun (who cares what the slide does, it is supposed to move) is accomplished already with a grip where both hands have their fingers closer together.

i love Lena and we're friends but I would not use her as an example as why this grip should be used. to me the only lesson to be learned is you can get away with unconventional if you put a lifetime of work behind it.

I have experimented with this on a Glock and found parts of my support hand interfering with the controls, dropping mags while shooting being the main issue.  I don't even bother trying it with 1911s.  I prefer to keep my grip the same between the two gun types so I use what most of us here would consider the classic thumbs-forward-high-hand grip.  If a person can make the forefinger-on-trigger-guard technique work, that's great.  It just hasn't worked for me.

Edited by GunBugBit

I noticed sometimes I’ll get a s#!t poor grip to my standards and put my finger there after a fast reload and ride it out. Doesn’t seem to affect anything. I have been wanted to try it out since I see muneki do it a lot.