Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which top GMs put their finger on the front of the trigger guard

RangerTrace

This comes from a post on Facebook.  Which of the top GMs shoot with their finger on the front of the trigger guard?  I guess we would first have to discuss the definition of "top" GMs.  So maybe the top 25 GMs at USPSA Nationals?  

Being one of the older GM’s still in the game, I have been around many generations of these shooters.  The finger over the trigger guard type grip (and I also use it) is definitely not a common one.  Jerry Barnhart was one of the most successful in this game, before Eric, that utilized that grip.

When I used to work with shooters, I would show them both grips but only to see which one gave them the feeling of the strongest grip.  Some folks need their pinky finger, versus their pointer, to be very integral to that grip and getting that finger higher was needed.  Thus giving the size, shape, and/or dominance of each hand, the finger over the trigger guard allows for that better combination.  But that grip is rare as most will have a better grip with all four fingers under.....but unless you try, you don’t know 100%.

24 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

I could be wrong, but from his latest Instagram video, he doesn't have his support index finger wrapped around the front of the trigger guard.

I thought he talked on Stoeger’s podcast at one point about experimenting with it. 

Here’s a clip from his Instagram where he does have it wrapped around:

Lets start with Im nobody... just another shooter.  Ive experimented with it & Ive worked with other shooters that have tried.  Obviosly it can be done & done well but the tendency in many newer shooters is to pull shots left.  You have excellent leverage when doing this so it can happen easily.  Not saying dont do it, not saying it doesnt work.  I am saying newer & less experienced shooters tend to pull the gun left when finger hooked on front of trigger guard

• 3 weeks later...

Yong is a beast!  There's a video that he put up where he mentions that he only puts his finger there so that he can get higher up on the gun.  If you watch his older videos when he's shooting CZs, 2011s, or Tanfos (before he joined Team Sig), he doesn't have a finger in front of the trigger guard.

• 4 weeks later...

Im not a top GM by any means but I am a limited GM. I’ve always shot with my finger on the trigger guard even before uspsa. I feel it gives me a higher grip and I don’t have to lock my wrists as much to fight recoil.  Try it out. It works for me and as of now I don’t intended on going back. 

If I taught a brand new shooter who knows nothing about shooting, I would show them both ways. I would tell them the pros of both and show them how I hold the gun. Let them decide cause in the grand scheme of things, I don’t think it matters. 

USPSA# A-94001

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised that the 2011 pastic frmae/grip manufacturers have not made a flat trigger guard that can accommidate more than one finger. I have never been a fan o f the single finger method, but if the front of the trigger was larger and two could be used, that seemsd like a lot of downward torque could be applied.

4 minutes ago, 11MM said:

I am surprised that the 2011 pastic frmae/grip manufacturers have not made a flat trigger guard that can accommidate more than one finger. I have never been a fan o f the single finger method, but if the front of the trigger was larger and two could be used, that seemsd like a lot of downward torque could be applied.

that would be great...I could wear my tactical lobster claw gloves on those chilly mornings at the range.  

They don't make 'em because the overwhelming majority of shooters, GM or otherwise, have figured out that it is probably not the best grip option