Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracking Up

RacerX1166

Or at least my slide is. 

Found this little gem, while cleaning my Pro Sx tonight.  The gun had 55k rounds on it before it reached me and I've only put ~1k or so through it since.  So much for my relatively low cost of (re) entry.

Of course, this could have been avoided, had I just not cleaned my gun.  Another helpful tip to share with your friends.

P1000148s.jpg

57 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Warranty ???

We'll see what Bob has to say on the matter, but in my experience, he stands behind his work, even for those who aren't the original owners of a gun.  With 56k rounds through it, I can't say I expect a complete no cost swap.

Regardless, I'll still have some cash outlay, since this would be a good time to throw a new barrel in it 'while you're in there'.  

I bought a used open blaster to save some money once and after 1000 or so rounds the barrel broke. I tucked my tail and went back to limited.  Good luck with your repairs

7 hours ago, RJH said:

I bought a used open blaster to save some money once and after 1000 or so rounds the barrel broke. I tucked my tail and went back to limited.  Good luck with your repairs

Its like sport bikes. Ive never bought one used. You just never know how people abuse them. I bought a supermoto pre owned a while back. What a nightmare. Wiring was all f*#ked up. The selenoid kept grounding out and shorted out...so trying to get it started was impossible. I finally replaced a lot of the harness and the selenoid and got it running but...never again lol!

41 minutes ago, sauza45 said:

Brazos stands behind there work. Being it is a pro sx it's in 38 super/supercomp. What is the load that you shoot. Do you when the gun was built?

Loads shouldn't be the issue.  Previous owner said he only shot 125g Zero's over VV N105.  I've been either 124g MG or 125g Zero JHP on top of either 8.8g of 4756 (had old ammo to use up) or 10.2-10.4g of N105.  Same loads I put thousands of rounds through my previous Pro Sx's.  All 38 Super.

Not sure when the gun was built; just that it was used for a year and a half by the GM previous owner.

My first Pro Sx was used and I never had an issue with it.  My first Open gun was a home built mess that I sent back to the seller.  I think a lot depends on how close the gun is to when it left the smith and who that smith is.  If some guy changed out the barrel using his father's awesome set of tools (being a TV repairman), then it doesn't matter who built it in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

As a quick update, the gun was returned to Bob, who's going to fit a new slide.  On the bright side, I'll get one of his new bespoke slides.  The not so bright side is being out the cash (this wasn't an issue I expected to be absorbed by Bob, under the circumstances that I won't share publicly).  Even worse, because the coater has been flaky on lead times, I probably won't see the gun until August, when the number of matches per month tapers off here.  So, I'm climbing the walls a bit.  Were this 'the old days', I would have had a backup, a limited gun, and a few other choices.  Having divested all of that hardware, the only gun I could potentially shoot in a match is a single stack and I'm too old and out of practice for that level of work.  I'd toyed with grabbing a CO gun, for interim use, but by the time I got good with it, developed loads, etc., I'd have my Pro Sx back. 

So much for the low cost of entry, low key return to the sport.  

16 minutes ago, Sandbagger123 said:

exact same place where mine cracked.  i always wondered why people don't just weld them up . would save a lot of machine time  i know they welded up a lot of 1911 slides in the past.  

The only way that works is if you grind through to the inside, weld it all up, then remachine the internal and external dimensions.  It's doable, but no way is that worth the time and effort vs. replacing the slide.  The old days the slides were welded on the bottom rails and machined to tighten the slide to frame fit.  That's a pretty simple process.  The OPs definitely is not.

I will say I'm grateful for catching the crack before something worse could happen.  The last slide I saw cracked in that location was actually half a slide...the half that impacted the jaw of the shooter at the 2008 Area 8.  So, there's that...

At the time of the build, Bob was using STI slides and checking hardness, dimensions, etc.  Every one that came to him.  I was surprised at the % he said he rejected.  I would say the parts were as good as they could be.