Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicone carbide grip

Rpope423

Just curios if anybody knows how IDPA feels about the silicone carbide grip that a lot of people are doing now. Is it legal? I shoot ESP but I got a feeling it’s frowned upon even in ESP.

also, what’s everybody take on the carbide grip pros and cons?

No issue in ESP.  I run it on my P320 in ESP and have been through a few equipment checks this year at sanctioned matches with no problem.  As far as pros and cons, its all personal preference.  I found it pretty rough on my hands at first, but I just knocked it down a bit with a diamond file until I got used to it. Then I just build up another grip module with a more aggressive texture.

What’s everybody using grit wise? And is there a specific brand that is a definite go to? Been looking around and reading and I’m not finding much info except on how to apply it

6 minutes ago, Rpope423 said:

What’s everybody using grit wise? And is there a specific brand that is a definite go to? Been looking around and reading and I’m not finding much info except on how to apply it

I used the 60 grit off Amazon.

Coarser would've been ok, would not go finer.

Clean grip, sanding and cleaning again will help adhesion, mask borders, paint on glue, sprinkle on grit, pull masking, let set. I've used JB weld, was hard to get smooth, and some clear gorilla glue that was easy.

35 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

I used the 60 grit off Amazon.

Coarser would've been ok, would not go finer.

Clean grip, sanding and cleaning again will help adhesion, mask borders, paint on glue, sprinkle on grit, pull masking, let set. I've used JB weld, was hard to get smooth, and some clear gorilla glue that was easy.

Would you say it’s equivalent to 60 grit sandpaper? 

I used this stuff because I saw a tutorial online that called for it: Fundamental Rockhound Products: 1 lb 60/90 Coarse GRIT for Rock Tumbling polishing Rocks Silicon Carbide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JTJEXDI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VLu.Cb3FR2Q12

I have no clue how it's measured, but I'm guessing that 60/90 means it's a mix of the two grits. It seems to work nice and is very aggressive.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems fine to me. I've done it and shot it in a sanctioned match (but I've seen lots of stuff fly at sanctioned matches that shouldn't so what's that even mean?)

Personally I think it should be legal on the p320 grip module since that's a readily replaceable part of the gun, but at some point they ruled that it isn't. 

On 2/6/2020 at 10:43 PM, waktasz said:

Personally I think it should be legal on the p320 grip module since that's a readily replaceable part of the gun, but at some point they ruled that it isn't. 

I’ve never understood why stippling or this treatment isn’t legal on all guns (but grip tape is ok?). Plenty of people stipple/treat their carry guns, so it would still stick to IDPA’s core values. One of those rules that’s makes ya scratch your head but different topic I suppose. 🤷🏻‍♂️