Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Rpope423

Silicone carbide grip

Just curios if anybody knows how IDPA feels about the silicone carbide grip that a lot of people are doing now. Is it legal? I shoot ESP but I got a feeling it’s frowned upon even in ESP.

also, what’s everybody take on the carbide grip pros and cons?

It's legal in ESP, just not SSP.

I use it on my production X5 and shoot ESP with it in IDPA.

No issue in ESP.  I run it on my P320 in ESP and have been through a few equipment checks this year at sanctioned matches with no problem.  As far as pros and cons, its all personal preference.  I found it pretty rough on my hands at first, but I just knocked it down a bit with a diamond file until I got used to it. Then I just build up another grip module with a more aggressive texture.

Best thing to do to the plastic 2011 grip.

It is legal in esp. So who cares if it's frowned on as being too rough for edc. 

Alright was just curious cause I’m gettin tired of replacing grip tape. Or it coming loose, plus the carbide has a lot cleaner look

ESP legal.... do it.  Very pleased with my 60 grit.

What’s everybody using grit wise? And is there a specific brand that is a definite go to? Been looking around and reading and I’m not finding much info except on how to apply it

6 minutes ago, Rpope423 said:

What’s everybody using grit wise? And is there a specific brand that is a definite go to? Been looking around and reading and I’m not finding much info except on how to apply it

I used the 60 grit off Amazon.

Coarser would've been ok, would not go finer.

Clean grip, sanding and cleaning again will help adhesion, mask borders, paint on glue, sprinkle on grit, pull masking, let set. I've used JB weld, was hard to get smooth, and some clear gorilla glue that was easy.

35 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

I used the 60 grit off Amazon.

Coarser would've been ok, would not go finer.

Clean grip, sanding and cleaning again will help adhesion, mask borders, paint on glue, sprinkle on grit, pull masking, let set. I've used JB weld, was hard to get smooth, and some clear gorilla glue that was easy.

Would you say it’s equivalent to 60 grit sandpaper? 

15 hours ago, Rpope423 said:

Would you say it’s equivalent to 60 grit sandpaper? 

Very close.

Used this. Have done two grips, probably enough grit to do dozens.

I used this stuff because I saw a tutorial online that called for it: Fundamental Rockhound Products: 1 lb 60/90 Coarse GRIT for Rock Tumbling polishing Rocks Silicon Carbide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JTJEXDI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VLu.Cb3FR2Q12

I have no clue how it's measured, but I'm guessing that 60/90 means it's a mix of the two grits. It seems to work nice and is very aggressive.

Awesome. Guess I was lookin at right stuff cause I was stuck between both items. Thanks guys