Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 - What Extra Parts to Take to Competition

chess5

I'm shooting my first level 2 USPSA match this weekend, the SNS 400,  and  I'm starting to think about what I would do if my gun broke on the first stage. I'm shooting a Shadow 2 with the full cajun upgrade kit and I'm wondering what parts I should keep in my gun bag while at a competition. Are any pins or springs known to break easily or anything that I should get extras of? At the moment all I have is spare front sight fibers and a lighter since I've had a few fall out.

Edited by chess5

Supposed to pour down rain all weekend. I'm bringing my dirtiest and least reliable gun so maybe I get lucky and have an excuse to quit early on staff day.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I've not had a single breakage on my S2 outside of fiber optic rod like you.

Bring your standard FO kit, maybe some lube and a 2nd Shadow 2. I bring a 2nd S2 because Murphy's Law and I can't imagine how many parts Id lose doing disassembly at the range. 

1 hour ago, GJM said:

After Magnus, I am surprised you didn’t say bring three or four.

Wouldn't have mattered with contaminated ammo.

Edited by LeeIndy

12 hours ago, LeeIndy said:

slide stop,

extractor,

extractor spring,

extractor pin,

firing pin,

FP spring,

TRS,

trigger pin.

recoil spring

Thanks, I just ordered extras of all of these from Cajun gunworks. But, for this weekend I'm just going to take all the parts I have and then bring my M&P 5in that I shot before I got the CZ as a backup gun.

I really wish I would have thought about ordering extra parts before this week lol

17 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I've not had a single breakage on my S2 outside of fiber optic rod like you.

Bring your standard FO kit, maybe some lube and a 2nd Shadow 2. I bring a 2nd S2 because Murphy's Law and I can't imagine how many parts Id lose doing disassembly at the range. 

I've had 3 or 4 fibers fall out and I'm thinking about just replacing the front sight post with a slightly narrower one from Dawson. I didn't see any damage or anything on the front sight but the fibers just don't want to stay in.

I bring a little tube of loctite with me and an allen key for the trigger set screws. I actually had mine break free last week while shooting, and it backed out pretty fast. So I just loctite it, screwed it in, let the gun sit for about 30 minutes and went back to shooting. Got home and broke the loctite, reset it, and let it sit for 24 hours to cure properly. But, when that pin pushes into your finger it becomes uncomfortable fast.

9 hours ago, shakin_bakin said:

I bring a little tube of loctite with me and an allen key for the trigger set screws. I actually had mine break free last week while shooting, and it backed out pretty fast. So I just loctite it, screwed it in, let the gun sit for about 30 minutes and went back to shooting. Got home and broke the loctite, reset it, and let it sit for 24 hours to cure properly. But, when that pin pushes into your finger it becomes uncomfortable fast.

Do you find that the set screw actually helps? I've been running without one and haven't had any issues.

4 hours ago, Mdooz said:

Do you find that the set screw actually helps? I've been running without one and haven't had any issues.

I’m with George. Probably not essential. Now the reset screw aka the top screw, I do see a difference. I have small hands so that reach can be tough for me.