Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lockup unlock barrel

jstagn

Friend bought used  edge with approximately 5k rounds. Shot and shoots great 40 major. After about 500 rounds it started not to go into full battery (lockup). Also it is difficult to initially rack slide even with trigger manually cocked. Once you pull slide about half inch or less, it’s smooth as butter. If you let slide go it goes into full battery and shoots great. Gun have been maintained and cleaned regularly. Seems to be a lockup and unlock problem, recoil spring 12 with 2-3 k rounds. Thought it might be bent slide stop pin, switch with an very old one that I had, racked perfect no problem, then a put in a new one with the same pin diameter that he had, no good same problem. Go me baffled, any thoughts? Thanks...

Could be that the previous owner changed the original slide stop, and never fitted(reduced diameter) of the slide stop pin. Which is why it is difficult to rack. Your old pin worked fine, see what it's diameter is compared to the one in the gun. I'm sure it's slightly smaller. And your new pin has the same diameter as the one in gun, which is why it doesn't work either. Sounds like you just need to turn down the slide stop pin 1-2 thousands of an inch, and it should be ok.

1 hour ago, jstagn said:

Pin does seem to rub against lug, lug is shiny and some finish is worn off.

Best way to check is mark with dykem or a sharpie marker, reassemble and cycle the gun. That’ll tell you where things are hitting.

2 hours ago, Posvar said:

Fit slide stop and take some material off (reduce diameter?)

Which is what I said in my first post:

Sounds like you just need to turn down the slide stop pin 1-2 thousands of an inch, and it should be ok.

Edited by Postal Bob