Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

scope help

dlightning

Hey everyone.  I am looking at a couple of scopes for a tac rifle match.  It has ranges from close quarter and out to 200 yards on 6 inch plates.  

I ran a red dot (Vortex Spitfire 1x).  Time out of the 200 yard stage.  So I am looking for a low power variable optic.  

My choices so far are:

1. Swarovski 1-6 BRT (used around $1600)

2. Leupold Mark 6 1-6 (new around $1800)

3. Nightforce NX8 (new $1700) or the ATACR 1-8 (new $2700)

4. Vortex Razor GEN 2 E (1200)

5. Any Other?

I would like to keep it relatively light for maneuverability on the close stuff, but want to reach out to 300-400.  Vortex and ATACR (price is hight)  is heavy so leaning away from them.  But can't denied the lower cost of the Vortex.  I also like the eye relief of the Vortex.  I have not handle the Leupold.  I like the Swarovski for the weight and clarity.  My eyes are getting old.  I am 47 and 160 lbs.  Thus weight is somewhat of a concern.  Rifle is a mostly JP.  I've switch out the handguard to BCM for weight concerns.  Rifle is sitting just under 7 pounds with the Spitfire.  I would like to stay under $2000.  

What are the opinions and why.  Also some other options.  

The Vortex Gen2 has been VERY well received! Its a few ounces lighter than the original. Price is definitely right!

Don't think you would be greatly disappointed with any of the options you suggest. I would add the Khales K16i to your list as well because they are awesome and not any more expensive than others you included.

I would suggest trying as many options as you can find around your range. Check out the different feel between FFP and SFP reticle. IMO, 8x is not needed at all until you get over 300-400 yes. What you really need is clarity and light-gathering so you can see your target when its time to see it.

I'm not so sure that if you know your not going past 200 yds that a nice 1-4X wouldn't fit the bill nicely, and save a lot of bank as well. Don't discount some of the fine Burris offerings like their 1-5 XTR and others. 

13 minutes ago, kurtm said:

I'm not so sure that if you know your not going past 200 yds that a nice 1-4X wouldn't fit the bill nicely, and save a lot of bank as well. Don't discount some of the fine Burris offerings like their 1-5 XTR and others. 

I'll agree with Senor Miller here. If you never plan on going past 200 yd you can save some weight and cost even with a tier 1 offering. The extra budget can be put to practice. 

If you plan to grow into an optic and perhaps want to travel to matches out to 600 I can certainly understand your desire for a 1-8. While not necessary, 8 can certainly be an advantage. 

Of the optics you listed I wold choose the ATACR or perhaps look at the Trijicon AccuPower 1-8 line. 

I can't say enough good things about my Vortex Razor Gen 2 1-6. My matches don't often go past 200 but the clarity, eye box, and field of view at 1 power is awesome.

Used Swarovski BRT gets my vote.  I regularly hit out to 550 yards with it in the North Texas Multigun Match.  The glass clarity and the wide field of view at 1x is unparallelled. 

Edited by Firebull

• 2 weeks later...

I might take a different approach to this one.  While I don't exactly know what a tac rifle match is where you shoot, I might consider what the CLOSEST targets that I might expect.  If, for example, "Close" targets are 25-50M, then I might consider a 2-10X scope.  There are several good 2-10's out there but I like the Vortex.  I know its a response that you did not ask for but that's what I would consider if it was me.

You might just want to buy some new ones? If you do tend to buy a scope just take one thing to mind. Outwardly, most scopes look more or less the same: they are metal tubes with lenses. The shooter looks through one end and sees out of the other. Because of this, scopes tend to fool the uninitiated into thinking that they are all the same, which could not be further from the truth. Additionally, the manufacturer is often culpable in labelling the scope as a unit that is “good for target shooting or hunting”, or some other ambiguous statement.

• 3 weeks later...

You might just want to buy some new thermal scope ones? If you do tend to buy a scope just take one thing to mind. Outwardly, most scopes look more or less the same: they are metal tubes with lenses. The shooter looks through one end and sees out of the other. Because of this, scopes tend to fool the uninitiated into thinking that they are all the same, which could not be further from the truth. Additionally, the manufacturer is often culpable in labelling the scope as a unit that is “good for target shooting or hunting”, or some other ambiguous statement.

• 3 weeks later...

1-4 will work out to 200 yards with ease, had a Nightforce 1-4 and made 300 yard shots with no problem. 

In the 1-6 range, Kahles with 3GR is hard to beat. Amazing FOV and clarity, reticle is very easy to use. 

Scope is also lightweight on top of Carbine. Recommend  that you try to actually look through your top choices side by side. 

8 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

on 6" plates ?

I wouldn't see the plates on 4x at 200 yards.    

Thats a stage design issue then, because if a plate can't be seen with 4x magnification then the limited shooters are gonna be really pissed.

I used a S&B 1-4 short dot and had no problem with targets out to 385 yards. The glass is awesome the cool thing about the scope is that it is the best red dot on one power and can still work great at distance. For an open scope I would recommend a variable scope with hash marks tailored to my long range load. With a red dot at one o’clock or 11 o’clock I have used both. And for a shameless plug I have a S&B 1-4 short dot for sale on the classified. At 74 I’m retiring from 3-gun/multigun with regret and sadness. 

Nightforce 1-4  FC 3G reticle make it easy to make hits at 300 yards on smaller plates and 400 yards on steel silhouette targets.  

Kahles clarity and field of view are supreme to the Nightforce and all other scopes that I tried. Especially when you consider

its weight. Good luck with your decision 

For a limit of 200 yards think about either the Vortex Razor or a Meopta Meostar K2Dot- both are excellent. Meopta is a little clearer. Mount in a 2 or 3" offset and you have a great package. Both are illuminated.