Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on Unsportsmanlike DQ on a classifier

jessesmith121

Been there... my wife was running a stage and the ro dq'd her.. was a bulls#!t call... needless to say i wont let him ro her again. i even have it on video. Some of these virgin ro's think they know it all. when in fact they are partial to their buddy's 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Are there an infinite number of USPSA clubs in your area that you can completely discount one because of one incompetent RO? Besides, whenever you see an issue like this it is ultimately the shooter's fault for not knowing the rules themselves. If you allow this to happen to yourself, that's on you.

1 hour ago, QuickDrawMcGraw said:

If that happened to me, I would not return to that club.  

No, don't let the inmates take over the asylum.

Not returning is absolutely the wrong answer unless there are other viable options tissue to shoot a match on the same day. If this happened to me, I would go back and make sure the RM/MD didn't let this guy RO again until he proved a clear demonstration of knowledge of  the rules

2 minutes ago, Balakay said:

No, don't let the inmates take over the asylum.

Not returning is absolutely the wrong answer unless there are other viable options tissue to shoot a match on the same day. If this happened to me, I would go back and make sure the RM/MD didn't let this guy RO again until he proved a clear demonstration of knowledge of  the rules

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

Are there an infinite number of USPSA clubs in your area that you can completely discount one because of one incompetent RO? Besides, whenever you see an issue like this it is ultimately the shooter's fault for not knowing the rules themselves. If you allow this to happen to yourself, that's on you.

Agreed

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

I guess I thought the MD upheld the RO decision.  If yes, then I would absolutely not go back.  There’s not an infinite number of clubs near me, but there’s enough that I can pick and choose what matches to go to.  If not the MD was not notified, then I agree with you.

Edited by QuickDrawMcGraw

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

If you allow this to happen to yourself, that's on you.

Oh, I’m fully aware, as noted above. Overall, really good learning experience. Just unfortunate. I don’t have anything against anyone at that club - It’s just a long drive and the only reason I went there was the fact it was an all classifier match. I don’t really have any reason to ever return. (Home club with weekly matches ~10 min from home, another 45 min south that does weekend matches)

Edited by Rosswoodford

• 2 weeks later...

Where were the rest of the people at match? Someone there should have had an IQ above refrigerator temp. If I had witnessed that I would have instantly called BS. As a shooter and RO I'm not ever going to let another RO make a BS call without voicing my opinion. I would have to rule book out and be asking for clarification. 

Bad calls affect ALL of us equally. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2019 at 9:00 AM, waktasz said:

I'm thinking that "fault" isn't a term I'd apply to the shooter.  The RO was at fault.  The shooter didn't do anything wrong.

It IS true that it is the shooter's responsibility to know the rulebook so that they can stop things like this from happening.  So if this happens to you, it is your responsibility to know enough to set it right.

It is still the RO's fault for making the wrong call and enforcing it.  (And apparently the MD is supporting it?  I assume "MD" actually means "MD/RM" for this case.  Therefore the MD is also at fault, assuming that the situation is what was described.)

I also would suggest indeed going back to that club (preferably with a friend, so you aren't by yourself amidst folks you don't know) unless you have plenty of other places to shoot, because the only way to fix things like that is to contribute---which means shooting there, and helping them learn the rules.  If all the people who know the rules won't shoot there, then....it'll never get any better.  And that'll mean one less place to go shooting.