Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best of the best dies - Super 1050

On 6/7/2019 at 5:13 PM, Yondering said:

Shakin - another thing to consider is the newer spring loaded Dillon die. Mine are all older (I haven't bought a Dillon die in ~15 years) and have solidly mounted decapping pins, but a buddy recently bought a 9mm Dillon die set and the sizer die has the decapping rod spring loaded, so it snaps down after pushing out the primer and knocks the primer free. I don't know when they made that change, but it seems pretty slick and I am considering upgrading my dies to that setup. 

I've got two sets and both have the new springs. The primers still hang for some reason. I wonder if its cause it pulls the primer back up. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

came on here to look up this problem,  fixing to swithc back to Lee dies, had nothing but pproblems with Dillon... Same issue,, Old style solid dillon 40 sizing die. Screwed in far as I can get it, just barely touching shell plate, deprime rod screwed all the way down STILL doesnt kick out primers consistently while sizing. ( using a 550)

On 6/5/2019 at 12:20 AM, RGA said:

Yondering +1

My setup:

1) After testing a number of sizers over the years (RCBS, Dillon, Lyman, LEE, Redding) I settled on the LEE (U) die. Recently I recieved a Mighty Armory 9mm sizer but it was a lemon! Now I'm waiting for the replacement and I can't wait to see if it is as good as advertized!

2) Lyman M die (expander)

3) Redding Comp seater

4) LEE FCD

What do you mean MA die was a lemon. I am getting ready to get a 40 cal die from them. Is there an issue with his dies. 

Another vote for EGW U die for sizing and decapping. From there the bullet feeder expander and Dillon seater and crimp dies. My ammo has been very consistent with this setup. 

9 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

What do you mean MA die was a lemon. I am getting ready to get a 40 cal die from them. Is there an issue with his dies. 

Hi Dirtchecy841,

The 9mm sizer I recieved was badly scratched on the inside. I sent it back and Wayne determined the hardening wasn't done properly. I'm now waiting for a replacement.

(Fwiw, I also have a MA .223 sizer which is fine.)

On 6/4/2019 at 1:36 AM, 78Staff said:

I've got mostly Dillon dies on the 1050, but have been making changes here and there.  Redding Comp Seaters, Lee's Universal Decap die when I'm processing brass, and have been toying with the ideal of trying a Lee or MA 9mm Size/Decap die.  But I haven't really had any issues with the Dillon one yet, but according to many it's only a matter of time lol.  I also use the Lyman M die as well processing 223.

I've not tried the Lee Factory Crimp Die - a lot of folks recommend it for Semi-Auto ammo, but I've also read it's more of a band-aid and it's better to adjust your other dies correctly, then it's not needed anyway.

Well I guess I jinxed myself lol, clip cracked on my Dillon 9mm size/decap die.  I picked up a Lee Size/Decap die to replace it.  I also went ahead an picked up a Lee FCD for 9mm also - I haven't really needed it as I have my dies setup nicely now and rarely see gauge issues, but it was cheap enough to have one on hand just in case.

I've also stopped using the Redding Comp Seaters  - imo they don't provide enough benefit unless you are constantly changing bullet profiles.  I hardly ever have more than 2 per caliber, and it's quick and easy enough to set with normal Dillon seaters.  Plus, they are kind of picky about case bell/flare if you really want to take advantage of them.  For bulk pistol range ammo on the 1050 the benefits didn't outweigh the cost for me.

Edited by 78Staff

I find it interesting that some do not like the Dillon Dies.  Outside a few of the things I have read here (doesnt punch primers 100%) what other issues do you all have?  I run all Dillon Dies on my machines and dont seems to notice any real issues.  I have ad the primer issues but, outside of that...  they have been pretty solid.  

I guess price on them can be an issue?

I guess if I were doing it over the micrometer die would be my first choice, but I also love the fact that Dillon dies are carbide.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:15 AM, shakin_bakin said:

I have more consistent case gauges with the Dillon sizing die versus the Lee U die. About 10 out of 100 Cases using the U did don’t size well. Seems like it won’t get rid of glock bulge as my cases have a small bulge at the bottom. Where as my Dillon die removes that bulge. Maybe I’ve somehow managed to set it up wrong. 

But the Dillon die does have an issue punching primers. 

I have no issues with any other die. I’ve been thinking about trying the MA sizing die for a while though

This is correct.  After testing both, we found that the Dillon die actually sizes a 9mm case down closer to the base than a u-die.  It's a little contrary to popular belief and expectations given the large chamfer at the mouth of the Dillon die.

What the u-die does better than the Dillon is size the mount to a smaller diameter.  I like both aspects, so I size all my cases with both dies.

7 minutes ago, Face5535 said:

I find it interesting that some do not like the Dillon Dies.  Outside a few of the things I have read here (doesnt punch primers 100%) what other issues do you all have?  I run all Dillon Dies on my machines and dont seems to notice any real issues.  I have ad the primer issues but, outside of that...  they have been pretty solid.  

I guess if I were doing it over the micrometer die would be my first choice, but I also love the fact that Dillon dies are carbide.

I use Dillon die sets for some calibers, and various other brands for other calibers just depending what I had. I've always liked the Dillon dies and been very happy with them; I have no complaints and they seem to be high quality in my experience. 

The primer pull back issue has occurred with all of the different brands of dies I use; Dillon does not stand out in that group. Beveling the primer tip fixes all of them equally (i.e. it cures about 90% of the pull back issues). 

I reload with mixed 40 S&W brass on a RL 1050. I use the EGW undersized U die for sizing and decamping, Redding micrometer bullet seating die and Redding micrometer taper crimp die. My rejection rate is infinitesimal. Full disclosure; I Case Pro all my brass before starting the reloading process. 

On 6/13/2019 at 4:08 PM, Face5535 said:

I was really excited about the micrometer seating dies- more for quick adjusting than anything, but found that it's picky about the flare you put on a case.  Too much and your are constantly scraping the rim/case and peeling brass in some cases, too little and the floating sleeve isn't as effective - it expects a specific flare to work correctly  If you are processing match brass or sorted brass I could see the benefit, but for running range fodder mixed brass 9mm and 45 through the 1050 I felt the benefits weren't there.  I actually just sent all three (9/10/45) back to Brownells and screwed my Dillon seaters back in.

I also prefer the Dillon powder funnel over the MBF, although it appears I am in the minority, as it seems most posting here use the MBF funnel.  It just sticks to dang much for me.  I have a few Lee decap dies - the universal I use when processing brass automated, and just replaced the 9mm Dillon size/decap as mentioned earlier with a Lee, more to try it than anything.  I've loaded thousands of 9mm with the Dillon Decap die before the c-clip broke.  Otherwise I'm pretty much using all Dillon dies without any real complaints.

Edited by 78Staff

On 6/11/2019 at 8:34 AM, RGA said:

Hi Dirtchecy841,

The 9mm sizer I recieved was badly scratched on the inside. I sent it back and Wayne determined the hardening wasn't done properly. I'm now waiting for a replacement.

(Fwiw, I also have a MA .223 sizer which is fine.)

Are you still waiting on the replacement die. I ordered the 40 sw die Monday after Wayne said it was back in stock and I am still waiting for it to be shipped. He must be like lee at uniquetek they take forever to ship after getting paid and you have to bug them to get your stuff. I’ll see but it’s not a good first impression for a company. 

FYI... I ordered a 9mm and 40 Cal sizing/decapping dies.. Both where in stock according to there website.. One shipped right away.. The other didn't get shipped, after about a week I emailed MA, they said it went out to get finished.. Received it another week later.. 

4 minutes ago, Furrly said:

FYI... I ordered a 9mm and 40 Cal sizing/decapping dies.. Both where in stock according to there website.. One shipped right away.. The other didn't get shipped, after about a week I emailed MA, they said it went out to get finished.. Received it another week later.. 

Where they worth the wait. I don’t mind waiting when your told up front there maybe a wait or you get a email saying they are working on it. I just don’t like when you have to bug people about not getting there product after paying and not hearing from them. We the shooters deal with these companies and buy there products all the time some are better than others when it comes to stuff like this. My 2 cents. 

3 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Where they worth the wait. I don’t mind waiting when your told up front there maybe a wait or you get a email saying they are working on it. I just don’t like when you have to bug people about not getting there product after paying and not hearing from them. We the shooters deal with these companies and buy there products all the time some are better than others when it comes to stuff like this. My 2 cents. 

I find the quality to top Notch for sure.. I've tried them all.. Very tight tolerance, so tight that I had hard time loading 40 Cal nickel brass.. 

I'm taking every measure to insure that I have no failed ammo when it comes to my match ammo.. I even roll size my brass.. Weather it's worth it or not the jury is still out.. However I do think that if you are looking for feeding reliability with your loads this is definitely a step in the right direction.. 

4 hours ago, Furrly said:

I find the quality to top Notch for sure.. I've tried them all.. Very tight tolerance, so tight that I had hard time loading 40 Cal nickel brass.. 

I'm taking every measure to insure that I have no failed ammo when it comes to my match ammo.. I even roll size my brass.. Weather it's worth it or not the jury is still out.. However I do think that if you are looking for feeding reliability with your loads this is definitely a step in the right direction.. 

Cool thanks. The wait is on I guess. Yes I want match ammo consistent also. Loading for a SV so I want it right for matches 

20 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Are you still waiting on the replacement die. I ordered the 40 sw die Monday after Wayne said it was back in stock and I am still waiting for it to be shipped. He must be like lee at uniquetek they take forever to ship after getting paid and you have to bug them to get your stuff. I’ll see but it’s not a good first impression for a company. 

The die is shipped but because I'm in the Netherlands it will take at least a week.

There were some delays with the initial orders I placed but nothing shocking. A few weeks at most. Nothing like Mark7 delays.....

I think Wayne is extremely busy at the moment.

Edited by RGA

1 hour ago, RGA said:

The die is shipped but because I'm in the Netherlands it will take at least a week.

There were some delays with the initial orders I placed but nothing shocking. A few weeks at most. Nothing like Mark7 delays.....

I think Wayne is extremely busy at the moment.

👍

Well it’s been 7 days since last Friday when it was supposedly shipped. No response to any emails. Not what I was expecting after all the great reviews I’ve read and even after speaking with Wayne. I’ll give it till Monday if no response I’ll ask for my refund. 

10 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Well it’s been 7 days since last Friday when it was supposedly shipped. No response to any emails. Not what I was expecting after all the great reviews I’ve read and even after speaking with Wayne. I’ll give it till Monday if no response I’ll ask for my refund. 

You should be able to see if it is shipped on your account's ''order history''.

Hey all, I’ve read through this thread.. you guys deserve answers. So first off... for what ever reason we had troubles with consistency in the treatment of the 9mm Dies. Some of the Die bores scored. We’re quite confident that’s been solved. I took a leap of faith and went to a different treatment company.. so far results have been outstanding. 

As for shipping.. yes we’re guilty of shipping late which is something we were never bad at. Well, we’re back on track. All dies have shipped and we’re up to date and shipping inside 24 hours again.

Our dies are noted in stock or sold out.

when a Die in stock was ordered the sale defaults to our shipping system. Somehow there was a feed issue. The shipping dept. was getting doubles, or not at all. It was quite confusing. Glad that’s behind us. Thanks to all for hanging in there!

On another note.. I’m having our website upgraded so it’s easy to get to what you want.

the BRASSPRO/FFL Page is going away.

We are setting up a new site for members. 

The web address is:

mightyarmoryffl.com

create account emails will be sent to members within the next day or two.

Wayne 

Mighty Armory 

Edited by WaynePatrick