Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Hyperion

RandyBaker

This is just my opinion, but the Hyperion is a fantastic pistol.  The overall weight and balance are near perfect for the 9mm cartridge. The sites track perfectly.  It is by far my favorite pistol in 9mm.  My only issue is that my wife feels the same way, and has claimed all rights to my Hyperion so another one my be in my future.  

I can't really compare it to a Nemesis in 9mm, however I do own a Nemesis in .40.  I personally think the overall weight of the Nemesis would be a bit much for the 9mm.  If I had to guess, I would have to say that the Nemesis would shoot a bit softer due to the weight, but wouldn't return on target as well as the Hyperion. 

20 hours ago, jrn1975 said:

This is just my opinion, but the Hyperion is a fantastic pistol.  The overall weight and balance are near perfect for the 9mm cartridge. The sites track perfectly.  It is by far my favorite pistol in 9mm.  My only issue is that my wife feels the same way, and has claimed all rights to my Hyperion so another one my be in my future.  

I can't really compare it to a Nemesis in 9mm, however I do own a Nemesis in .40.  I personally think the overall weight of the Nemesis would be a bit much for the 9mm.  If I had to guess, I would have to say that the Nemesis would shoot a bit softer due to the weight, but wouldn't return on target as well as the Hyperion. 

Yeah I would probably agree with you based on the weight, but the Hyperion didn't exist yet, so Nemesis it was! I wish I could get a 9mm comparison to see how the Hyperion stacks up with a standard Titan as well. 

I had Adam build a 9mm upper for my .40 Titan, then the Hyperion came out.  I shot one and it was great.  Better than a 9mm Nemesis?  I don't know, I love the Nemesis in .40, but it's a toss up for me between the Nemesis and Titan in .40.   If I had a do over, I'd definitely buy a Hyperion over the 9mm Titan upper.  For me, the 9mm in the Titan and Nemesis is a little overkill,  but a blast to shoot.  The Hyperion is a just a great pistol for the 9mm, jrn1975 stated it perfectly. 

Edited by Mike H
sp

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:35 PM, geraldskip said:

I'm super tempted by the Hyperion, but that new 3 gun Honcho also looks awesome. For a tiny bit more than the hyperion.

The Honcho is a cool concept.  Its kinda like the jack of all trades type of pistol.  I didn't see the specific weight on the pistol, but I would think it "again" would be a tad heavy for the 9mm cartridge.  I am sure it shoots soft though.  There are soo many good pistols out there right now to choose from.  The thing I like about the Atlas line is that they are developed and purpose built with a single goal in mind which is to be some of the best shooters for their specific purposes.  The Hyperion was developed strictly around the 9mm cartridge and it truly delivers what I feel is the best overall package for that caliber.

22 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Downside of Hyperion: no optic
Downside of Erebus: no non-optic sights

Would be nice to get both in one gun for more flexibility.

If you give them a call, I bet they can accommodate either request. 

This may be the wrong thread to ask, but I too am very interested in the Hyperion over a titan/nemesis for 3gun work and light uspsa. How’s the holster situation for these firearms given their 3gun focus? I currently shoot a TSO and the holster scenario is bleak tbh, which is very frustrating - especially for retention holsters. Is this easier with the Hyperion? Any knowledge on safariland fitment? 

22 hours ago, Pollock said:

This may be the wrong thread to ask, but I too am very interested in the Hyperion over a titan/nemesis for 3gun work and light uspsa. How’s the holster situation for these firearms given their 3gun focus? I currently shoot a TSO and the holster scenario is bleak tbh, which is very frustrating - especially for retention holsters. Is this easier with the Hyperion? Any knowledge on safariland fitment? 

ALPHA X WITH PT INSERT 

22 hours ago, Pollock said:

Checkout Holster CO. They made a retention/competion/duty style 3-gun holster for my granddaughter's CZ SP01/75 that works. They have a bunch of CZ pistols listed. Got it pretty fast and fits well. Hood mechanism also works well. She has many matches on it.

https://miholsterco.com/duty-competition/

gerritm

On 6/18/2019 at 2:39 PM, Moloch38 said:

I bought a couple RHT for my Nemesis (for 3G) and went back to a NERD Coffin, it doesn't have a hood, but the retention/draw is the best I've found. 

So did you just get a Nerd for a 5/6inch sti and it was sized right for the nemesis or was there some remolding to be done?

14 hours ago, Pollock said:

So did you just get a Nerd for a 5/6inch sti and it was sized right for the nemesis or was there some remolding to be done?

No remolding, ready to go out of the box, get the 6-inch. [Pistol Coffin 3 Gun Holster]  PC-2011-6in-RH STI 2011 6" - Right Hand

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 9:15 PM, Pfiddy said:

This holster has been very frustrating for me. I certainly wouldn’t buy another one

Thats why I switched to the Everglades holster, best decision I ever made...well worth the $$$

If you're looking at a 3-gun pistol, the region of the country you shoot in and the targets/distances you shoot may make the Hyperion more or less enticing. It's a nice pistol, like most higher end 2011's, and shoots well with 9mm. I'd personally want a longer sight radius for the matches that I shoot, as I tend to shoot smaller targets and further away. I fully understand the different sized sights and how it's supposed to replicate a longer sight radius, but I still prefer a longer sight radius.

I personally shoot a 3G Honcho and prefer the 5.4" length with irons, and my backup gun is a Hayes 5.4"...my only shorter 2011 has already been sold.

As for retention and holsters. I prefer a hooded holster for 3-gun and a non-hooded holster for USPSA. I got both via Weber Tactical, and with full width frames and slides, zero fitment issues and no inserts required. I like the idea of race holsters and they should work well for most, but I still see the release being something that can be hit when unslinging a long gun.  

4 hours ago, EaZeNuTZ33 said:

If you're looking at a 3-gun pistol, the region of the country you shoot in and the targets/distances you shoot may make the Hyperion more or less enticing. It's a nice pistol, like most higher end 2011's, and shoots well with 9mm. I'd personally want a longer sight radius for the matches that I shoot, as I tend to shoot smaller targets and further away. I fully understand the different sized sights and how it's supposed to replicate a longer sight radius, but I still prefer a longer sight radius.

I personally shoot a 3G Honcho and prefer the 5.4" length with irons, and my backup gun is a Hayes 5.4"...my only shorter 2011 has already been sold.

As for retention and holsters. I prefer a hooded holster for 3-gun and a non-hooded holster for USPSA. I got both via Weber Tactical, and with full width frames and slides, zero fitment issues and no inserts required. I like the idea of race holsters and they should work well for most, but I still see the release being something that can be hit when unslinging a long gun.  

Good to know. I just placed an order for a Hyperion last week so now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do about the holster/mag pouch situation. Plenty of time to decide. I'm leaning towards the Weber Tactical with a hood as that's what Cat at Atlas recommended. She also said that or Red Hill Tactical. I have a RHT for my TSO and honestly I'm not overly impressed in the retention of their model for USPSA with the thumb rest. I like the Safariland ALS but now they aren't as inexpensive as they used to be it seems. 

9 hours ago, Furrly said:

Thats why I switched to the Everglades holster, best decision I ever made...well worth the $$$

So so the Everglades holster works with any 2011 grip? Plastic, metal PT or SVi? I would really like to do the same holster for everything. 

The suspension/hanger system looks a little hokey. Is it effective? Any drawback to that one?

Edited by Pfiddy
N/a