Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a stock 34 Gen 5 cycle Fed Syntech reliably

Zoomie517

Hi guys. I don’t reload. No intention of reloading. So I’m using off the shelf stuff. 

Wondering if Federal Action Sports Syntech 150 gr 870 FPS will reliably cycle through a Glock 34 Gen 5 without doing the recoil spring shuffle?

If anyone has found a reasonable priced off the shelf Pf130 load that’s cost-effective, I’m all ears. 

Thanks in advance. 

Federal Syntech 150 grain lot that I have is hotter than 130 PF. From 4.5" Stock II barrel it chronoed at 138. Federal only guarantees that it'll make minor, not by how much.

The factory load closest to 130 PF I found so far is Federal Synetch 124 grains from the last year, at 134 PF. But the lot I got this year is 150 PF, and Federal says it's normal as they change propellants often and only track pressure.

1 hour ago, lstange said:

Federal Syntech 150 grain lot that I have is hotter than 130 PF. From 4.5" Stock II barrel it chronoed at 138. Federal only guarantees that it'll make minor, not by how much.

The factory load closest to 130 PF I found so far is Federal Synetch 124 grains from the last year, at 134 PF. But the lot I got this year is 150 PF, and Federal says it's normal as they change propellants often and only track pressure.

This makes sense, based on the  vets here saying inconsistency between lots (in addition to potential cost savings) is the main reason they reload. 

27 minutes ago, bigtimelarry said:

The Federal 150gr Syntech is a little hot to me..

Any recommendations for something lighter that’s reliable?

Edited by Zoomie517

On 6/2/2019 at 6:35 AM, Zoomie517 said:

Hi guys. I don’t reload. No intention of reloading. So I’m using off the shelf stuff. 

Wondering if Federal Action Sports Syntech 150 gr 870 FPS will reliably cycle through a Glock 34 Gen 5 without doing the recoil spring shuffle?

If anyone has found a reasonable priced off the shelf Pf130 load that’s cost-effective, I’m all ears. 

Thanks in advance. 

Runs perfectly fine in mine. I've shot several different lots. It also runs fine with an 11lb and 13lb recoil spring (and tungsten rod) from glock store.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:32 PM, Zoomie517 said:

Any recommendations for something lighter that’s reliable?

I've just started to sort out which Syntech works best in my G34 and PCC.  I tried comparing the 147gr Speer Lawman I've been using to both the Syntech 150 and the new 130 PCC load.  The 130 won hands down in my unscientific "felt-impulse/lowest muzzle flip" testing.  The 150 version is supposed to be for the pistol I think but I only wanted to stock one load and the 130 in my JP PCC is just magic.  The difference in the G34 between the 130 and 150 felt insignificant.  The 130 Syntech will become my go-to match load.  I was really surprised how much better it was than than the 147 Lawman.

I do not reload and this was totally unscientific, didn't have the setup to record splits. YMMV.

I ran 115 Blazer or S&B 115 with both stock RSA and a SS rod with a 12 lbs spring  worked fine

I have since developed a handload to run with the rod and 12 lbs spring in Production 

Interesting to note I do have to run factory ammo and stock RSA at the indoor GSSF league (Stock) so I do flip back and forth until the new 34 Gen5 gets here to setup as my dedicated production/CO gun.