Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 steel challenge

Glock17open

I just bought a mark IV 22/45. I have put an SJC comp on the gun and installed a c more sight.  I built this gun as a practice pistol for my open gun.  (It's a CK arm gun).  I want to shoot steel challenge and practice with it.  I am headed to the range tomorrow, for the guns first trip. Any suggestions for r other mods, it's bone stock. Except for the addition i mentioned. It won't let me upload a pic. It says the image is too big

A Volquartsen Accurizing Kit will do wonders to the trigger.  My Mark IV 22/45 came with a terrible 6 pound trigger.  It felt like I had to pull through the safety during each shot.  With the Accurizing Kit my trigger is now just under 2 pounds and is very reliable.  The trigger also lets you adjust overtravel and pretravel.

+1 for the Volquartsen kit.  My MkIV Stainless Target came with a 5-pound trigger pull that wasn't as bad as AZShooter describes but bad enough.  The VQ kit reduced it to a very clean 2-1/2 pound pull free of creep and drag.   

Mine has a Vortex Venom mounted on the Ruger Picatinny rail and I've used it for Steel challenge too.   Enjoy yours.

Thanks for the input, first trip to the range was a success. Love the comp, I shot some CCI stingers and there was no dot movement.  After getting it sighted in I consistently hit an eighth inch steel plate at 50 yards.

Edited by Glock17open

On 6/4/2019 at 7:00 AM, Glock17open said:

Thanks for the input, first trip to the range was a success. Love the comp, I shot some CCI stingers and there was no dot movement.  After getting it sighted in I consistently hit an eighth inch steel plate at 50 yards.

After getting it sighted in I consistently hit an eighth inch steel plate at 50 yards.”

Hi, do you  mean eighth inch square or an eighth inch thick? Just curious. Thanks. 

Eight inch ci

46 minutes ago, dapribek said:

After getting it sighted in I consistently hit an eighth inch steel plate at 50 yards.”

Hi, do you  mean eighth inch square or an eighth inch thick? Just curious. Thanks. 

Eight inch circle steel plate

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the better set ups I have found is the ruger MK III/IV with a C-More 6/8MOA sight, volquartsen trigger group and volthane grip. It is hard to beat this setup for the price and it will go head to head with any of the more expensive pistols for use in steel challenge matches. Any of the 40gr copper plated bullets do well in this set up- I like CCI mini mag or Winchester Super-X. Both of these seem to function very well.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on the Volquartsen kit, Tandemkross trigger and other goodies and patience for break in.  Also +1 on the Tandemkross maqazine tweeking, my gun was a bit finicky before this.  Mine eats CCI Blazers and shoots like a lazer once broken in (over 1000 rounds to break in).

• 8 months later...

We run 6MOA railway on an Allchin mount. Take off the Picatinny mount and this will go direct on the top. Also run a 6MOA RTS2 on an Allchin mount. I have a TK trigger & comp and replaced the bolt with a Volquartsen and removed the loaded chamber indicator. We use CCI mini mag ammo with Volquartsen high power springs in the mags. Guns run 99.9%. Love them.

gerritm

• 1 month later...

There are no ends to the amount of customizing you can do to your Mark IV.  I opted to produce a Mamba on mine and with the then extra upper I bought a lower from Wirthwein guns and ended up with another Standard Mark IV 22/45.  I put C-More sights on both.  I also have a 5.5 inch bull barrel and a 10 inch barrel that I can swap out.  The 5.5 inch will be used for RFPI.

Black Mamba.jpg