Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first match today.......what a train wreck.

I decided I wanted to compete with a pistol about a month ago. I did a little research and thought Carry Optics would be a good choice to start. I bought a CZ P10F, a Delta Point Pro, belt rig, extra mags, etc.... I’m coming from a background of 8yrs of PRS competition. About two weeks ago everything I ordered has shown up and I’ve got it all put together, mounted, zeroed, fitted, etc.... I manage to put about 700 rounds thru the pistol and 200 rounds of that was with the Delta Point Pro. So skip to today. I travel a couple hours to shoot (my first) a local USPSA match. There are about 70-75 shooters that show up. Beautiful sunny day. All super nice guys. I get in the box on the first stage. Buzzer goes off. I’m ripping thru it doing good. I get to the next to the last firing position. I’m looking at the target and there is no dot. I shake the gun. Bump it a few times. Still no dot. My two week old/less than 300 rounds Delta Point Pro has s#!t the bed. I finish the stage just point shooting the targets. I managed to get Alpha/Charlie on all 3 with no dot to aim with. I clear out of the stage area. I turn it on. It comes on and stays on for 10 seconds then goes off. Over and over. I change the battery. It seems like it’s going to stay on now. I get half way thru the second stage. It dies again. Same s#!t. Will come on for 5-10 seconds, then shuts off. I shot the second half of that stage horribly with no dot. I ended up shooting g the next 4 stages with my concealed carry pistol. Didn’t do as well as I’d like. Next to the last stage is the classifier. Just as I get up to shoot, it starts to pour rain and the wind is blowing 40mph. They call off the match at this point. It begins to hail along with the down pour of rain. 

So.....overall it was a lot of fun. I’m very disappointed in the Delta Point. I’m disappointed in my performance. But I definitely enjoyed it. I’ll be back next time.  

I guess I will send the Delta Point in for warranty repair. I’ll certainly be considering other optic choices if I can get a different mounting plate from CZ for the P10F. 

46 minutes ago, Trevor300wsm said:

If you don’t co-witness. Clearly I don’t. 

Was just kidding😊 short or maybe med cofs maybe but never a long course. 

see my avatar? It was maybe 7-8 yrs ago. The problems i had were still same w/ the present micros. Went w/ old reliable cmore slideride and never looked back. Wish these micros would work but they dont til now. In rifles and rimfires they do but never in hg nor sg no matter what some shooters post here. Reliability is still to be desired. 

I feel your frustration. Been there. 

Edited by BoyGlock

1 hour ago, Trevor300wsm said:

So.....overall it was a lot of fun.

YOU are the definition of hard core shooter.  After all that, you still had fun.   And, NO DQ     :cheers:

Can you imagine how much fun you are going to have when the tornado is over and

your gun/scope work ?

The hell of it is...

You might switch optics, but sooner or later they all fail. some samples right away, some make it 20k shots. You’re playing the lotto with any of the dots out there.

The DPP is the most reliable of them (mine is at about 7,500 rounds) but still fails.

• 2 months later...

I shoot an M&P core in C/O for the fact that it is a co-witness set up. I try to ignore the dot when acquiring targets and use the irons (have the dot set up to view sitting on top of the front sight) to minimize to "dot hunting". I've seen a lot of guys complain of loosing the dot in various light conditions and malfunctions, and that really influenced my purchase decision toward the core.

This is why you need two guns and three dots to shoot CO.  One gun for your main match gun and one as a backup in the range bag.  The third optic is back at the manufacturer getting swapped out for a new one.  Wait for the match dot to fail and then rotate.  Hopefully a second dot doesn't die before the one at the manufacturer is back.

I had an rmr I bought and I put it on hk45. Got to the range, set up on target, take 1 shot and dot is gone replaced buy some weird writing. Try some fixes I read about, and worked for a few more shots. Take it off gun and send it back. It comes back and works for 2-3 shots and gone again. I send it back again it comes back I sell it.

Worst part is I bought it took off my rear site and put it in the rmr box and when I sent it back they kept the site.

So for a gun I dislike, that I bought when they were 1200, and I chose the LEM trigger,  I had to go out and buy sites for it. The price has dropped on these things to under $700. and I bought the $100 worth of parts to bring it back to a non LEM. 

Sorry for ranting. Im also very excited Im setting myself up for a September members steel match which will be my first.

Those small dots take a beating on the slide. I see several LEO in our area carry small optics on their duty weapons, but with co-witnessed, back-up iron sights. I wish I had a suggestion as to how to make those dots run long term, but not sure there is a way right now. Maybe the manufacturers will address the issue. Glad to see you shot a safe match even if it was with your carry pistol. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar experience yesterday. had a new load, i dont have a block to gauge my rounds, since id have to get it custom made from my chamber, and i made the mistake of not checking the rounds in my barrel before i cranked out ammo. in practice i had maybe 1 in 30 failures to return to battery which i could live with, match day came around, it was 2-3 per MAG.shot 3 of the 4 stages like that. stage 4 comes around, yep, the classifier, and i cant get more than 2 rounds out. called it quits after what seemed like 2 minutes and cycling through like half the mag in the dirt. after i called it the RO came up to me and told me he would have quit after the first stage. I drove 2 hours to shoot, not to turn around and go home. I ranked that match 15 out of 18. one of which dropped out, and another below me was a senior lady who was shooting her first match with her husband. it was abismal. but, like you, i had fun. and learned a lesson. The match before that, i learned my gun becomes a single shot at the slightest hint of rain. not sure why...🤷‍♂️

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My first match tonight after 8 years off, shot production w my xd45 tac, because I own it, factory 230g hardball.  4 stages indoors, 1 major brain fart (didnt reload where I was supposed to). 1 failure to seat the mag all the way stovepipe, 1 hostage no shoot clipped (they should have ducked!). Ugghhhh....i missed this kind of abuse? Yes, yes i did....🤪

On 1/16/2020 at 11:21 PM, pbgunrunner said:

My first match tonight after 8 years off, shot production w my xd45 tac, because I own it, factory 230g hardball.  4 stages indoors, 1 major brain fart (didnt reload where I was supposed to). 1 failure to seat the mag all the way stovepipe, 1 hostage no shoot clipped (they should have ducked!). Ugghhhh....i missed this kind of abuse? Yes, yes i did....🤪

Excellent observations. And yes, I ask myself that all the time. "Wait, I ask for this!" This sport is the most gratifying and frustrating sport but it is still an awesome hobby. Great job!

On 9/1/2019 at 8:48 PM, nhyrum said:

I had a similar experience yesterday. had a new load, i dont have a block to gauge my rounds, since id have to get it custom made from my chamber, and i made the mistake of not checking the rounds in my barrel before i cranked out ammo. in practice i had maybe 1 in 30 failures to return to battery which i could live with, match day came around, it was 2-3 per MAG.shot 3 of the 4 stages like that. stage 4 comes around, yep, the classifier, and i cant get more than 2 rounds out. called it quits after what seemed like 2 minutes and cycling through like half the mag in the dirt. after i called it the RO came up to me and told me he would have quit after the first stage. I drove 2 hours to shoot, not to turn around and go home. I ranked that match 15 out of 18. one of which dropped out, and another below me was a senior lady who was shooting her first match with her husband. it was abismal. but, like you, i had fun. and learned a lesson. The match before that, i learned my gun becomes a single shot at the slightest hint of rain. not sure why...🤷‍♂️

HA. Similar experience. Lesson well learned. I bought some match ammo from Freedom for a 3-gun match and decided to switch to it the morning the match started. Rounds were too long for my pistol barrel and it became a single shot disaster stage. I immediately got my daughter to run grab my duty ammo from my car and switched it out. Needless to say, I will never do that again. I guess matches are not the place to test ammo and gear. SMH. Lesson learned!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...