Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's talk extended firing pins

soulbyte

Recently picked up a complete upper for my SP01 I'll be regulating to Carry Optics duty. Decided to pick up a CGW extended firing pin for it and noticed the one in the slide was much longer, way longer in fact. I measured it out to 2.490", the CGW measured out to 2.472". I'm trying to figure out what firing pin I have in this slide. I decided also to measure all of the other extended firing pins I have to try to match it up and can't find a match. The measurements are below.

SP01
Mystery - 2.490"
Factory - 2.438"
CGW - 2.472"

CZC - 2.475'

Tactical Sport  

Factory - 2.463"

CGW - 2.495"

The Tactical sport CGW firing pin was closest to the mystery pin in length. I ruled it out because of the lack of firing pin block cuts present in the mystery firing pin. Anyone know what firing pin this could be? I don't know any other aftermarket manufacturers. I'm thinking this could be another CZ factory part but don't know which gun it came from. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, CZ85Combat said:

My CGW extended firing pin measured 2.50"  and my CZC extended firing pin measured 2.497"

Thanks for the measurements! Is this for a SP01? Your CZC seems pretty close. CZC has theirs published at 2.475". I'm wondering if they changed lengths at some point and made them a little shorter. If you wouldn't mind posting a picture of of the pin where the block reliefs are cut and the end where the hammer strikes that would be great!

Edited by soulbyte

Thank you for that link. I was measuring overall length. The longer rear portion where the hammer strikes makes complete sense! It seams as though the mystery firing pin might be a czc compairing the rear to my other.

Edited by soulbyte

I'm wondering if anybody (who uses a lenghted firing pin and light spring in a shadow 2) ever looked at there primers after shooting it and see the pin drag the primer and a tiny second indent on the primers edge. Any thoughts about that??

IMG_20190331_150057.jpg

How light is your firing pin spring? Try using your factory spring with the extended firing spring and see if those secondary hits are still there. Also, have you checked to see if the spring isn't broken?

It's a CGW extended pin and spring.   I tried stock pin with CGW spring and  same issue.   I never encounterd any light strikes with stock pin and spring with 11 lbs hammer spring. (but fire gun from SA only)

I asked CGW this question several times but they dont respond. To me it seems the spring is on the light side.

I have 2 questions.

1) does anybody see primer drag and secondary strike?

2) does anybody have problems with the stock pin and spring wit 11 lbs hammer in DA??

19 hours ago, soulbyte said:

Thanks for the measurements! Is this for a SP01? Your CZC seems pretty close. CZC has theirs published at 2.475". I'm wondering if they changed lengths at some point and made them a little shorter. If you wouldn't mind posting a picture of of the pin where the block reliefs are cut and the end where the hammer strikes that would be great!

Both of my extended firing pins is from 2013

I was getting the primer swipe with extended pin and reduced power return spring. When dry firing, it also allowed the pin to get stuck in the breech face and that was enough for me. Stock pin and spring now, works fine with a 13lb hammer spring either DA or SA and Winchester primers. 

Extended firing pins are USUALLY longer in the back.

That allows the hammer to hit it slightly sooner and drive it from the rear.

some length is also added to the front portion but not always.

Being in the rear keeps the system from doing anything weird 

Been that way with 1911/2011's anyways, figure these are the same principle