Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Basepads to use with STI Gen 1 Tubes?

randull

Hey guys,

just like the title says, I'm trying to figure out what basepads to use with some STI gen 1 tubes.  Everyone has recommended the taran basepads but I have gotten no definitive answer on which size to use for gen 1 tubes to make them fit the gauge; I dont have a gauge myself and don't intend on getting one until I start shooting the larger area matches.  Do I use the 3mm to be safe or do the 4g2 work as well?

So far I am running some gen 1 tubes with grams internals, any help or input is appreciated.
Thanks all!

They’re all slightly different. I will say that I have some Gen 1 tubes and the older 4mm pads won’t fit the 140 garage.  I don’t know about the newer base pads 

If you don't/can't gauge them get 3mm they should still hold 20 in a 40S&W

All my 4g2 work but I did trim the rear of the feed lips on a couple to fit the gauge.

Ask around at your local club someone has to have one you can use.

7 hours ago, sauza45 said:

For gen 1 you can use taran 3mm or the dawson snl. Gen 2 the dawson snl will not fit the gauge

the dawson snl i put on one of my gen 1 sti ~170tubes didn't fit the gauge for open.

the dawson snl's on my four sti gen 1 tubes that brazos tuned do fit the limited gauge.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys,

just like the title says, I'm trying to figure out what basepads to use with some STI gen 1 tubes.  Everyone has recommended the taran basepads but I have gotten no definitive answer on which size to use for gen 1 tubes to make them fit the gauge; I dont have a gauge myself and don't intend on getting one until I start shooting the larger area matches.  Do I use the 3mm to be safe or do the 4g2 work as well?

So far I am running some gen 1 tubes with grams internals, any help or input is appreciated.
Thanks all!
Did you end up making a purchase?

Have a couple Gen 1 mags I'm wanting to upgrade and wondering same info.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 6/1/2019 at 9:34 PM, jcc7x7 said:

If you don't/can't gauge them get 3mm they should still hold 20 in a 40S&W 

All my 4g2 work but I did trim the rear of the feed lips on a couple to fit the gauge.

Ask around at your local club someone has to have one you can use.

jcc7x7 nailed it.  All of my Gen 1 .40 STI mags have Taran 4g2 base pads.  Some fit the gauge, but a few I had to take a file to just a tiny bit.  With grams springs and followers, all fit 21 rounds and functioned without any need for tuning.

jcc7x7 nailed it.  All of my Gen 1 .40 STI mags have Taran 4g2 base pads.  Some fit the gauge, but a few I had to take a file to just a tiny bit.  With grams springs and followers, all fit 21 rounds and functioned without any need for tuning.
Thanks for the update. Guess I'll grab some 4G2 and same internals and give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk