Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring for TTI gen 5 guide rod

JLB-US

I’ve got the Taran Tactical Steel guide rod for my gen 5 Glock 17. Good product but it’s time  to replace the spring, but It apparently does not use any of the recoil springs I’ve normally used on aftermarket rods. The rod is too thick for the springs to even go over.

Any idea where I need to be looking? Checked TTI’s site and they did not seem to have any, and got no reply from the electronic  question system they have.

Thanks!

Well that sucks, I’ve got a 15# Wolff  1911 coming in next couple of days I ordered from above.

Edited by JLB-US
Clarified 1911 spring

I've never used the TTI guide rod. Is it larger in OD than others?  I know Jaeger has a heavy .270" one that you have to use Wolff (for Glocks) springs on. 

Not sure why folks are suggesting 1911

springs?

From what I understand, you'll need a 14 or 15 lb Wolff spring for a gen 5

48 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I've never used the TTI guide rod. Is it larger in OD than others?  I know Jaeger has a heavy .270" one that you have to use Wolff (for Glocks) springs on. 

Not sure why folks are suggesting 1911

springs?

From what I understand, you'll need a 14 or 15 lb Wolff spring for a gen 5

Because when I received two that were sent for trial testing before release that is what I was told to use and have still used. Sometimes ya gotta do some tweaking to get things right.  Not everything is always 100% drop in and use when still under development. You can shorten a recoil spring, and a Gen5 does not “have” to use a 14 or 15 lb spring either.  Mine currently is running a 10 or 11. 

7 minutes ago, dskinsler83 said:

Because when I received two that were sent for trial testing before release that is what I was told to use and have still used. Sometimes ya gotta do some tweaking to get things right.  Not everything is always 100% drop in and use when still under development. You can shorten a recoil spring, and a Gen5 does not “have” to use a 14 or 15 lb spring either.  Mine currently is running a 10 or 11. 

You are the only one I've heard say they can get lock up with a 10-11 lb springs. What striker springs are you using?

I myself couldn't get an 11 lb ismi to lock up.  

Edited by B_RAD

I found the original  spring (13 pound?) has issues running in combo with a full power striker spring as it got older for whatever reason.

Regardless I’m  kinda ready to pitch the dang thing at this point anyway. I’ve now spent nearly as much in springs to fit it than I spent on it to begin with. TTI not selling the springs for it on their site or even responding kind of soured me as well.

On 6/1/2019 at 10:03 PM, rowdyb said:

ordered a 12 and 13 pound full size 1911 spring to try on my tti ss guide rod in a gen 5 as well. i'll know tuesday night!

so you went aftermarket guide rod after all......I was wondering but am pretty sure you"re "good to go" considering the situation 👍

I have the tti gen 5 g34 guide rod and spring combo. Tti says it comes with a 14lb spring. 

In two of my gen5 g34 guns the tti 14lb spring has been fine but I want to try 13 to lessen my nose dive with the combo of ammo and grip I have.

The wolff glock springs fit on rod but are still 25% longer than the tti one it came with 

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Jager-Captured-Steel-Guide-Rod-for-Gen5-P5051.aspx

I use this with a IMSI 13# Glock spring.  11# is to light for the Gen 5 34's in my experience, the guide rod is longer, slide has more mass on the 34's etc.  Don't know about the 17's.  I have never used the rod for Wolff Springs and I sure it would be fine too.

Maybe not the solution you're looking for but a solution...

Yep I would probably use a different rod in the future.

Hyperbole on my part earlier, the wolff glock spring of 13lb is actually only 3 coils longer than the tti 14lb one the rod came with. It fit on tti rod fine and gun ran tonight in just a quick test of 70 rounds. 

I'm running that exact same Jager Guide Rod. I bought it from SC along with a variety of Wolff Glock Recoil Springs.

Until this week I was running factory 115 Blazer ammo with a 14 lb. spring. I actually purchased 11 lb thru 15 lb springs. I'm planning on dropping down to 11 lb. or 12 lb. as I work in my 124gr. FMJ-RN reloads. I love the lighter spring. First light loads I shot this week along with the 14 lb. spring was amazing.

Here's a link to the .270 springs from SC for those interested...

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Wolff-Glock-RECOIL-SPRINGS-1717L-20-21-22-24-31-34-35-P3491.aspx?Options=16216,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 2:42 PM, JLB-US said:

Checked TTI’s site and they did not seem to have any, and got no reply from the electronic  question system they have.

Just to update I got an email from Taran Tactical late last night apologizing for not getting back with me saying the email went to wrong folder, and offering to send me a new spring free of charge.

Now I can feel better about watching  their Jade Struck videos. 🥰

They said the same thing to me about a two months ago regarding mag springs. They asked for my address, I sent it, they asked for it again, I sent it, a month and a follow up email later...... nothing.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:13 PM, JLB-US said:

Just to update I got an email from Taran Tactical late last night apologizing for not getting back with me saying the email went to wrong folder, and offering to send me a new spring free of charge.

Now I can feel better about watching  their Jade Struck videos. 🥰

They told me they don't recommend any springs but the ismi should work, well

it didn’t after I ordered two of them.

just recently ordered Wolff springs the .270 diameter ones and they work perfect no issues.

http://jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38&products_id=101

wasn’t impressed with Jagers shipping times though..

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, nick779 said:

They said the same thing to me about a two months ago regarding mag springs. They asked for my address, I sent it, they asked for it again, I sent it, a month and a follow up email later...... nothing.

Yeah btw same as you. Two weeks after they asked for my address and said they would send a new spring..nothing...🙄

• 3 weeks later...

On 7/16/2019 at 11:23 AM, Mojo_Hand_052 said:

What guide rod / spring weight would you all recommend on a Gen 5 Glock 34 when I'm just shooting off-the-shelf 124 grain (Blazer or Fiocchi)?  

the lightest spring it will reliably function with.  I think most wind up somewhere between 11 and 13 on a glock.